Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scenario #2 - inconvenient to worse case
Exclamation 
Along the lines of the previous thread in this series. Your responses will depend a lot on where you may be or what you're doing. I'm leaving it open as much as possible as different folks will think about different situations they've been in or think they could potentially be in. In this way, hopefully, we'll get a broad spectrum of answers to look at.

Senario #1 - small semi-emergency:

Your out and about. Could be the grocery store, Walmart, theme park, restaurant, movies, walk on a nature trail or whatever. Someplace other than home. Perhaps it is just you or perhaps your with family and/or friends. You or someone with you gets a cut. Nothing life threatening or probably needing stiches but does need a little TLC.

What's your game plan?

Scenario #2 - a more serious emergency:

Same as above i.e. you're out and about. You or someone with you gets a nasty cut. Again probably not life threatening but deep enough to cause some concern as it will need some stiches. However until you can get to the ER or walk in clinic it's just you and what you know and what you have.

What's your game plan?

Scenario #3 - It's hit the fan and you're in the wrong place at the wrong time:

Same as above, you're out and about. The situation could be that a horrific storm has hit and power is out, lines are down and you're stuck where you're at for the time being. Are you at the store or mall when the storm hits? Are you walking out in the woods? Or perhaps a riot has sprung up in the area you chose to shop in that afternoon/evening. Or perhaps there was a terrorist attack and everything in the area is mass confusion. I'm leaving this wide open as many things could happen while your away from your home that simply just suck.

What's your game plan for any/all of this? Do you have a standard one-size-fits-all or something different planned depending on the situation?
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
(08-04-2015, 11:43 AM)David Wrote: Senario #1 - small semi-emergency:

Your out and about. Could be the grocery store, Walmart, theme park, restaurant, movies, walk on a nature trail or whatever. Someplace other than home. Perhaps it is just you or perhaps your with family and/or friends. You or someone with you gets a cut. Nothing life threatening or probably needing stiches but does need a little TLC. 

I carry an EDC as a minimum. I also have a FAK in each vehicle. For life's minor things I carry a small FAK in the EDC. It contains various sized bandages. I also carry tincture of iodine 2% as it doubles as a disinfectant for both wounds and water. Between the EDC and what's in the vehicle I'm probably covered.

Quote:Scenario #2 - a more serious emergency:

Same as above i.e. you're out and about. You or someone with you gets a nasty cut. Again probably not life threatening but deep enough to cause some concern as it will need some stiches. However until you can get to the ER or walk in clinic it's just you and what you know and what you have.

What's your game plan?

Again, between the EDC and vehicle FAK (or FAK in my backpack if camping) I'm fairly well covered for many situations. In my backpack I also have quick-clot if absolutely needed. I should probably add super glue just to have if absolutely needed.

Quote:Scenario #3 - It's hit the fan and you're in the wrong place at the wrong time:

Same as above, you're out and about. The situation could be that a horrific storm has hit and power is out, lines are down and you're stuck where you're at for the time being. Are you at the store or mall when the storm hits? Are you walking out in the woods? Or perhaps a riot has sprung up in the area you chose to shop in that afternoon/evening. Or perhaps there was a terrorist attack and everything in the area is mass confusion. I'm leaving this wide open as many things could happen while your away from your home that simply just suck.

What's your game plan for any/all of this? Do you have a standard one-size-fits-all or something different planned depending on the situation?

I'll have to rely on my training and the stuff I have available. I'm not a paramedic or nurse or doctor, but I am an agency First Responder Instructor (basic first aid, CPR, AED etc). Stabilize as best as possible and initiate 911 if it is available. If not, well, you do the very best you can do in the situation to safeguard the patient(s).

See level III thread.'08.   Cool
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Been a while, btt. Feel free to expand on the OP.

1. Pressure, rinse, bandaids r go to first first aid spot.

2. Fashion bandage out of whatever. If I have my pouch I have bandaids, Neosporin, etc.

3. I have my main bag (considering social unrest, woods, etc)

Use first aid kit to make stitches (in a pinch, use fishing line) - get to legitimate first aid right after safety.
1. Bandaged from my EDC bag

2. QuikClot, bandage and move on

3. I have my EDC bag and GHB. The goal would be to quickly get away from the masses.

After being a paramedic for 20 years, fairly comfortable dealing with most medical emergencies.
That's a viable/valuable skill.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Social unrest or worse? David 51 2,260 10-19-2018, 05:53 PM
Last Post: bmyers
Exclamation Scenario #3 - inconvenient to worse case David 13 4,170 07-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: ric0123
Exclamation Scenario - inconvenient to worse case David 8 3,065 07-07-2018, 06:18 PM
Last Post: bmyers