rs=radio shack
cb
hh =handheld
mo=motorola
trunked/ing= look it up yerself,I ain't typing all that info
fs=freescan
rd=rubber ducky/antenae

I'll think of more and add them.'08.

I don't type well so I use shortcuts when I can,folks let me know if you think of others there are tons I'm forgetting.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
HF 'high frequency' meaning 3 - 30mhz. This means, basically CB radio
VHF.. Very High Frequency. 30mhz to 300mhz. This means, the 150mhz business band, weather band. marine band, 2m Ham band,
UHF Ultra High Frequency 300mhz to 1000 MHz I think. This means, FRS/GMRS (family radio service). 440 ham band, 900mhz ham band, cordless phones, stuff like that
WHAT? CB to define HF?
Really 1.8 MHz and 30 MHz (you left off 160 meters)
HF does include 11 meter band (CB radio), but that is boderline VHF (like 6 meter and 10). CB is restricted a few watts, but HF the sky (generally 1.5 kW) is the limit--although legally, you only use up to 1.5 kW what is need to make the connection).
Not that watts are everything, antenna and frequency have a much greater impact. Go up to 20 meters, 40 meters, 80 meters, and you are going around the world with 30 watts. But HF is a whole lot more than CB. Defining HF as CB is like defining a hamburger as McDonalds! (I need a smiley emoticon here).

If you are going on the radio, you need to know:
the phonetic alphabet (as most will be using it--though with Europe on the air there is a mix). This is the Alph, Bravo, Charlie, Delta stuff.

And knowing a couple of the Q codes helps:
QSL "I got that. understood"
QTH Your home or current location
QRZ who wants to talk (or who is calling me--this is used by folks looking for contacts during a contest)
QRT I am signing off for the day or night
These are abbreviations that were used in CW with Morse code, but are used a lot on the air in phone today. There is a ton more, but if you know these, you should be okay, most of the rest are not used in phone (well okay QRM and QRN, M is for someone stepping on your signal, and N is for nature--lightening and such--reducing you ability to hear the person you are talking to).

Also:
CQ (Cee Que) this is a call for a contact, as someone calling CQ, CQ without specific call letters afterward is just looking for someone to talk with.
DX (Dee X) this mean long distance (generally it means out of your country), someone calling CQ DX is looking for contact in another country

CW means using More Code with the dit dot dash thing.
Phone means using a microphone, not More Code (there are sections on the bands for both)
LID this means a Noob or someone on 14.313 (if you go there you will understand)

Then, just some stuff you will hear, like
"hi hi" (sort of a laugh, saying okay)
73 (seventy three, this is sort of the "happy trails" sign off of HAM)
5 9 (that is five nine, it is the lie everyone says which means I have your transmission in the clear (range 1-5 in understandability) and your signal is strong enough that my receive meter at the top (this is in a dB scale called the "S" scale 0-9, and then 9+).
There is more, but that is a lot of what you will hear on the air.

http://www.amateur-radio-wiki.net/index...._Alphabets

You don't need morse code anymore (no code extra--that ruffles some jimmies these-a-days), but heck it is fun to try to learn it.
That brings back some memories - my dad was big into Ham radio. Most of my experience is LOS in the 12–18 GHz band - SatCom.
QRP... low power radio, usu in HF bands , also usu a max of 5w.
( don't let the low hf power fool you, last contest, i worked 48 states on a weekend on 5 watts )