Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home Defense Thread
(07-11-2018, 11:45 AM)David Wrote: To expand further on my previous two posts I'll use my wife as an example.  Her Ruger LC9s with standard pressure 9mm is about at the upper limit of her shooting tolerance.  Even with that she won't shoot very much.  I haven't tried her with my G22's yet though it may be worth a try since it's a larger/heavier gun compared to the Ruger.  

I would like to pick up a reliable .22 pistol for her.  At least for training purposes.  That way she could hopefully get in enough shoots to make a range trip worthwhile.  And to be honest, while none of us here would likely choose a .22 pistol as our primary HD and/or SD pistol, none of us would want to be on the receiving end of it either.  For someone that just can't handle a lot of recoil it makes sense to have something they can handle and can develop proficiency in.

The Ruger SR22 is a good choice and a fun gun to shoot frequently.  It is my wife's go to for HD when I'm not around.   I've also been looking at the S&W M&P 22 compact as more of a trainer since it emulates a service pistol better than the SR22.  The SR22 has the safety backwards (up for safe).  It is kept loaded with the safety off in our home since it is double action. The safety is only used as a hammer drop.

Full disclosure....I liked the SR22 so much I bought a second one. One to keep at home, the other to use while deer hunting, plinking etc. The first one has been flawless with several thousand rounds. The second one, bought used with an aftermarket threaded barrel has ignition problems.  It fails to fire about half the time on single action, but will fire double action.  I'm pretty sure it's the aftermarket barrel causing the problem but I haven't had a chance to swap it out with the factory barrel yet.
Rhonda's first pistol was a Ruger SR22 purple. She went shopping and bought and told me that is what she did. She took her NRA Basic Pistol class with it. Once she was comfortable with it, she moved up to the 9mm and settled on the G19. She didn't like the smaller 9mm because they had more felt recoil and the G19 helped with the recoil.

Megan learned to shot pistols with the same Ruger SR22 and now has a Glock 42.
Found this interesting:

Ceramic is fairly impressive.  Stops bullets, sharpens knives and looks good on the floor.  Keep it from shattering after the first shot or two and maybe you've got something.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.

As always - a .22 is better than a pointy stick. But if an LC9 (which is pretty dang small and snappy) is too hard, I'd go 6".357 with .38's. Heavy gun, light load = ahhhh
(07-12-2018, 10:52 PM)Bob Wrote: As always - a .22 is better than a pointy stick.  But if an LC9 (which is pretty dang small and snappy) is too hard, I'd go 6".357 with .38's.  Heavy gun, light load = ahhhh

As a HD weapon (or woods carry) the .357 is fine with .38 ammo for a good amount of people.  SA being an option if absolutely necessary though not preferred for SD.

My avocation is repairing, restoring, upgrading knives/hatchets/axes/swords. After months of searching, I finally found a local guy who specializes in sayas. I explain. A saya is a wood sheath. What is the big deal? I can make sheaths in leather. However, leather deteriorates just sitting by itself, even if it doesn't rust a knife/sword/pistol. So when I bought Milt Sparks leather .45 acp rigs years ago, I knew that they would wear out in a couple of decades and they did. But I don't work in wood sheaths, just wood as handles. I also don't work in kydex.

So, I took over some quality American made quasi-Japanese swords and together we figured out how to make non traditional sayas that could handle a katana or a wakizashi in an over the pack or over the back carry. So, I bit the bullet and put down the deposit.

In passing. The guy did not know how to sharpen a knife or work with knives. He also didn't know how to work in leather. The point is twofold: 1. no one can be an expert in every endeavor; and 2. it may take time to find the expert that you need. I will take him some throwaway sayas and a simple knife working sharpener when I go pick up the new sayas.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Zombie gun thread David 7 108 11-01-2018, 10:32 PM
Last Post: Bob
  The Pistol Caliber Carbine Thread Bob 56 2,069 10-24-2018, 02:37 PM
Last Post: bmyers
  Single Stack Carry Thread (w/pics) David 23 749 10-17-2018, 12:18 PM
Last Post: David
Video .22 rifle for home defense? David 15 2,050 07-30-2018, 02:26 AM
Last Post: Tsquare
  Non firearm defense bdcochran 3 601 03-25-2018, 02:58 AM
Last Post: Gene