Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dave's buying has me thinking
Dave's new toy every week has got me a little jealous and looking over my wish-list. Now, there is nothing I need, but sure is a lot of things that I would like. 

Here is my short list, understanding the order changes day-by-day:
  • Freedom FX-9 PCC (pistol version)
  • Glock 23 Gen 4
  • Glock 20 Gen 4
  • Glock 19 Gen 5
  • Henry Big Boy 357/38
That is my short list, what is on your list?
Dave's new gun of the week consistently reminds me that we are all different. He loves the buying/selling/trading way more than I do. My short list is all stuff I don't need and probably wouldn't use much if I got. All my gun needs are already met. I'm much more into fine tuning and perfecting what I already have.

If I had a bunch of extra fun money, I'd get
Ruger 77/357
S&W 686 4"
Ruger American predator 6.5 creedmoor.
Okay, I'll play...

Ruger PC Carbine
Mossberg Shockwave (just because)
Ruger American in 450 Bushmaster
I forgot about the Ruger PCC, great another one for my list.
We all have our own lists. Mine, in order, goes something like this:

A Glock 38, 39, and AR-GAP pistol to round out the 45GAP family
An early model Beretta Inox or the Taurus 92AF clone in stainless that has a zero round count
A Glock 40 with a 40 conversion and 357 Sig conversion
Ruger Stainless Speed6 and Secuity6 in 357 Mag
44 Auto Mag - just Because...

I am good in the rifle department.
I'm happy I could serve as source material for your thread  Big Grin

While I admit that during the last year I've done more horse trading that the last ten combined, it's generally been in the upward trend.  Not counting the firearms I got for my wife and son, I currently have six firearms.  Three 9mm and three .40 S&W.  And I have the ability to shoot 9mm out of two of the .40's.  That makes four Glocks, one HK and one Walther.  So not a bad selection.  

What would I still want?  I dunno really.  A PCC would be nice such as the Ruger.  I don't have any revolvers anymore but I wouldn't be opposed to picking one up if I saw a deal.  A Glock 23/32 would catch my eye.  I enjoyed the HK P30SK V1 LEM I had.  

We'll see what the future holds...
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
(07-05-2018, 12:53 PM)David Wrote: I'm happy I could serve as source material for your thread  Big Grin

While I admit that during the last year I've done more horse trading that the last ten combined, it's generally been in the upward trend.  Not counting the firearms I got for my wife and son, I currently have six firearms.  Three 9mm and three .40 S&W.  And I have the ability to shoot 9mm out of two of the .40's.  That makes four Glocks, one HK and one Walther.  So not a bad selection.  

What would I still want?  I dunno really.  A PCC would be nice such as the Ruger.  I don't have any revolvers anymore but I wouldn't be opposed to picking one up if I saw a deal.  A Glock 23/32 would catch my eye.  I enjoyed the HK P30SK V1 LEM I had.  

Well, at the risk of serving as more source material... Wink

I have made more more, and probably final trade.  I traded the HK P30SK for a Glock 26.4 with a bunch of extras.  It has 3 month old TFX night sights, SS recoil rod, RYG trigger, extended slide stop and some other internal upgrades as well as three mags.  Couple of mags have +1 or +2 extensions.  

So here's why...

Last year a thread with bmyers really caught my attention.  The gist was having the same platform for consistency, parts etc.  I thought that was a very sound strategy to consider.  At the time my inventory was wide ranging.  And as I stated above, I'm very glad I went through a period of looking a multiple platforms.  That's valuable experience to have as an instructor and as a prepper.  You never know what kind of platform you may come across while teaching a student or during a chaotic disaster.  In the back of my mind though I knew I would be heading towards a limited inventory platform or at least platforms.

I settled on Glock.  Not because I'm a Glocktard or fanboy.  I'm definitely not and I've been quite vocal on my perception of Glock's shortcomings i.e. overpriced, plastic sights, lack of recent innovation etc.  That doesn't take away from it being a much-more-than-adequate and proven platform.  And since I specialize in Glock as an instructor, and carry it on duty since it's the agency platform, well, it was a no-brainer.

So I now have two Glock 22.4 and two Glock 26.4. I decided to make the Gen 4 the one I would go with.  The G22.4's are full sized HD and woods carry pistols.  The G26.4 has been my off-duty now for nearly two years so it made sense to me to get a second one as back up in that role.  I ordered another Xgrip as I've like the first one so much.  This will allow my to put a G19 mag in it and use it as a primary HD gun with good capacity but still have that specific model as back up to the one I carry.  All the Glocks have night sights.  I have the high end 9mm conversion barrel that will allow either of the G22.4's to shoot 9mm.  I don't feel any pressing need to get a second 9mm conversion barrel but if a good deal falls in my lap I wouldn't be opposed to the idea.  Two is one and one is none sorta perspective.  

All of this fits in exceptionally well with the Sub 2K since it takes Glock 17 mags which I have quite a few and plan to get more.  In fact, I'm set for G26 mags so I will concentrate almost solely on G17 mags with possibly a few more G19 mags to add to the inventory.  

The wife still has her two Ruger LC9s's which are good for her and my son has his Shield which he very much likes.  But both of them have experience with the Glock as well.

So the SHTF line up is centered around Glock.  Plan now is simply to concentrate on accessories that make sense (springs and other parts), perhaps a better tac light for the bedside Glock, mags and ammo.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I've always felt that simple was best. While I stick to 9mm only, your setup will serve well for any need.
(08-02-2018, 01:54 PM)David Wrote:
(07-05-2018, 12:53 PM)David Wrote: I'm happy I could serve as source material for your thread  Big Grin

Well, at the risk of serving as more source material... Wink

I have made more more, and probably final trade.  I traded the HK P30SK for a Glock 26.4 with a bunch of extras.  It has 3 month old TFX night sights, SS recoil rod, RYG trigger, extended slide stop and some other internal upgrades as well as three mags.  Couple of mags have +1 or +2 extensions.  

So here's why...

Last year a thread with bmyers really caught my attention.  The gist was having the same platform for consistency, parts etc.  I thought that was a very sound strategy to consider.  At the time my inventory was wide ranging.  And as I stated above, I'm very glad I went through a period of looking a multiple platforms.  That's valuable experience to have as an instructor and as a prepper.  You never know what kind of platform you may come across while teaching a student or during a chaotic disaster.  In the back of my mind though I knew I would be heading towards a limited inventory platform or at least platforms.

I settled on Glock.  Not because I'm a Glocktard or fanboy.  I'm definitely not and I've been quite vocal on my perception of Glock's shortcomings i.e. overpriced, plastic sights, lack of recent innovation etc.  That doesn't take away from it being a much-more-than-adequate and proven platform.  And since I specialize in Glock as an instructor, and carry it on duty since it's the agency platform, well, it was a no-brainer.

So I now have two Glock 22.4 and two Glock 26.4. I decided to make the Gen 4 the one I would go with.  The G22.4's are full sized HD and woods carry pistols.  The G26.4 has been my off-duty now for nearly two years so it made sense to me to get a second one as back up in that role.  I ordered another Xgrip as I've like the first one so much.  This will allow my to put a G19 mag in it and use it as a primary HD gun with good capacity but still have that specific model as back up to the one I carry.  All the Glocks have night sights.  I have the high end 9mm conversion barrel that will allow either of the G22.4's to shoot 9mm.  I don't feel any pressing need to get a second 9mm conversion barrel but if a good deal falls in my lap I wouldn't be opposed to the idea.  Two is one and one is none sorta perspective.  

All of this fits in exceptionally well with the Sub 2K since it takes Glock 17 mags which I have quite a few and plan to get more.  In fact, I'm set for G26 mags so I will concentrate almost solely on G17 mags with possibly a few more G19 mags to add to the inventory.  

The wife still has her two Ruger LC9s's which are good for her and my son has his Shield which he very much likes.  But both of them have experience with the Glock as well.

So the SHTF line up is centered around Glock.  Plan now is simply to concentrate on accessories that make sense (springs and other parts), perhaps a better tac light for the bedside Glock, mags and ammo.

I think sticking to a particular platform (in your case Glock) makes a lot of sense. It adds compatibility.    For Y2K my main guns were Glocks and the AK platform.   I eventually added the AR platform and got rid of most of my AKs. Though I still have several it is not my main go to platform anymore although it could be.   I'm currently down to one Glock (G22 w/9mm conversion barrel) but have 3 XDs, 2 9mms and a 40 with a 9mm conversion barrel.  I do have a Polymer 80 Glock frame that is built to take either a G22 or G17 slide. Just been putting off picking up another Glock upper assembly due to cost. My other option would be to pick up a used/surplus G22 and another 9mm bbl for compatibility sake.   Other than that everything else are just toys, hunting or EDC stuff.
I'm glad I inspired you.

The one platform solution for a disaster has helped us to setup a nice system with money being invested towards that platform (everything from PCCs, to lights, holsters, mags, ammo, etc.). I have the parts to basically rebuild a Glock from the ground up if the need would arise.

I purchased one of these: https://www.glockstore.com/Survival-Part...for-Glocks which I keep in my range bag. I have added additional parts and pieces to the bag. Along with the LWD armor's tool https://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1075 , I should be able to fix almost anything with my Glock in the field. One of the nice thigns about the Glock is the simplicity of being able to take it apart.

Since we have our SHTF platform setup and fairly well stocked (will continue to add to it because you can never have to much stuff), I have looked at adding other guns, but will not have them as part of my main survival plan, just extra resources.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thinking (and Practicing) Outside Of The Box—Defensive Handgun Deployment David 4 2,217 08-31-2015, 11:55 AM
Last Post: David