Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walther PPX
This afternoon I picked one up in .40 S&W with four mags (14-round), Vedder IWB holster and 80 rounds of .40 FMJ tossed into the deal. Put $300 into the deal. I looked at various reviews from the normal sources and about the only negatives I heard were that it's a blocky looking gun. And it is, kinda a chuncky PPQ. But everyone seemed to feel it had a great trigger and shot reliably and accurately. 

Figured it would make a good back up HD or trunk gun or maybe a woods gun instead of my Glock 22.

Has a BF code so made in 2015.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Those were $450 when new but used they are in the $300 range with 2 mags in my area. The bonus is the ammo and holster. You did well.

I have been tossing around the idea of a LEO trade-in 10mm or 40. There is a pawn shop 45 miles NE of me that has them at $300 with 1 magazine. I have an ammo box of spent 10mm and a little more of 40, so my startup costs would be the price of the gun, dies, and projectiles. I would still rather find a G38 and/or G39.

There are a lot of pawn shops in the Atlanta area that have a good inventory of LEO trade-in Glocks. I wonder if it could be Glock dumping them on the local economy.
If you can pick up a good LEO trade-in for $300 I'd say that it's a hard deal to pass up. Most agencies are going to regularly service their weapons at least annually. Ours are inspected annually and anything amiss is corrected prior to qualification. Since most LEO aren't necessarily gun people the gun in question may in fact have a low round count. Perhaps what he/she only needed to qualify with annually. That could be as little as 50-100 rounds per year. Granted the gun could have belonged to a SWAT or tactical LEO that shot it all the time. But odds are that probably wouldn't be the case.

I looked up the Vedder holster, it's the rapid tuck and goes for $55.  A magazine is in the $35-$41 dollar range although CDNN has them on sale for $20.  So that's a minimum of $95 right there not counting non-sale mags and shipping on either.  Figure the 80 rounds of ammo as probably $20+.  So really the gun itself cost less than $200.  Maybe like $175-$185 give or take and perhaps even a bit less.  As long as it functions reliably and accurately that's is a pretty good deal for what I paid.

Found this for grins.  Don't exactly condone their range safety but it was entertaining and somewhat educational.  And it looks like the PPX can withstand a bit of abuse.

You buy, trade, and sell guns more often than I change my underwear it seems.

Either you need to slow down or I need to change more often. Smile
It's fun and I get to experience new and different guns. Win-win. And it allows you to get some incredible deals from time to time.

I planned on going to the range today but the wife asked me to wait till next Monday.  Monday's are ladies night at our local range and ladies shoot for free.  When I brought the PPX home she took a look at it and she actually liked the way it felt and the trigger pull so she wants to shoot it.  So looks like the range test will have to wait until then.  But I'm glad she's taken an interest the last few years.  And it will give her a chance to shoot her Ruger LC9s as well.  

She is recoil sensitive but from what I've seen in reviews the PPX is soft recoiling even in .40 S&W.  Probably due to the weight which is 27oz empty and also the size and thickness of the slide.  Hickock45 compared the thickness of the slide to a Glock 19 and it was noticeably thicker.  Take a look at the video at the 5:00 minute mark and he makes a comparison with calibers.  And the slide is fairly tall as well.  So it would seem that that slide mass soaks up a lot or recoil so maybe she'll enjoy shooting it even in 40 S&W.  We'll see I suppose.

All you gun purchases have gotten me thinking about adding a Glock 23 Gen to my collection.
Wouldn’t mind picking up a G23 on a good deal.

One of the features of the PPX I like, from an instructor standpoint, is the cut outs on the sides of the magwells for easy mag extraction in the event of a malfunction like a double-feed where you have to rip that magazine out.  Those cut-outs give you a very good purchase on the mag.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Walther PPQ M2 David 20 4,428 09-01-2017, 08:14 PM
Last Post: David