Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My learning curve
60 years ago, I presented myself to a relative who was a cardiac surgeon and asked for some exercises, so he handed me the Canadian Army program.  A lot of research has gone on since that time.

Between Kaiser physical therapy/my own research, I ended up with over an hour of exercises a day that basically relied upon body weight, could be done outside on a mat.  Every day.  My research stumbled across an emergency room physician who had done weight lifting in medical school.  He said that a person didn't need to work out every day with weights.

Well, knowing that specific exercises don't deal will all parts of the body, I went into Kaiser therapy in January.  Received a simple exercise that took 5 months to restore my left arm.  Went in a few days ago again for an exercise to deal with the left leg.  I am old enough to be the therapist's father.  He said that I was stronger than he, and gave me 4 exercises to work into my routine.  He was/is right.  They were painful at first.

The bottom line is that you have to have an open mind and obtain professional advice from time to time.

Today, I started working out on a solid, portable, home made black iron chinning bar anchored by 4 50 pound bags of play sand.  How many chinups can I do?  NOne.  And I didn't expect to be able to do any.  That is a specific exercise of muscle groups that is not done daily in our society.  So, I start by simply hanging on the cross bar.  It will take time to build up the muscular strength to be able to do a simple chin up.  What is my goal?  To be able to do a series of overhand and underhand chinups very slowly - no twisting of the body/no swaying/no huffing and puffing. S   Some day, I hope to be able to do them with the legs at a 90 degrees to the torso.  That would be great!
Knowledge is a great thing.

You get knowledge from life experience or from talking to the experts. The nice thing, in today's society we have so much information available than 40 years ago, not having the knowledge is no longer a good excuse. The bad thing, we have so much information available, it can easily be overwhelming and lead to wrong paths. Talking to an expert helps discern which knowledge should be applied and which should be ignored.