Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump first president to protect electric grid from EMP, cyberattacks
Trump first president to protect electric grid from EMP, cyberattacks
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Having read One Second After and One Year After by William Forstchen I just started the third novel in the series The Final Day.

You may recall that those novels are about an EMP strike by North Korea and Iran.

So naturally I'm kind of glad Trump is in favor of protecting the country.
Replacing the current system with new upgraded infrastructure would be a better move. Far more likely to fall apart on its own than an EMP from anyone capable of legitimately doing that on any serious scale.
Anything to protect the grid is a huge positive.  And yes, huge expense but as Bob points out, it needs to be upgraded anyway so it may as well be done the right way considering the current threats.  Not just man-made but natural EMP is a consideration and a concern.  Going a step further, they need to be hardened from conventional small scale attacks as well.  How many power relay stations, and for that matter, water supply/reserviors have some sort of security or security personnel on sight?

Schools will be made into much more of a hardened target by the new school year, and that's a good idea.  But I would caution as to the totality of the amount of damage that could occur with a coordinated armed attack on power or water facilities.  I would suspect water facilities would be more covert but we've already had that one incident/attack in California a few years back where the transformers were shot which caused a cascade failure.  That was a small-scale test run.  A large scale 'for real' assault would be, in my opinion, a major concern.

I think in the early 2000s (possibly 2002) a law was passed requiring water departments serving more than 3,000 customers to develop protective plans.

You always see in the movies that the bad guy goes after the water supply with a little vile of something evil. The problem with attacking water supplies, is the volume of poison/toxin needed to destroy a water supply.

In the old Western movies they would poison a well, which works, but it is a localized source and very low flow so the toxin stays there and isn't dissipated throughout the water system. Most modern water departments flows thousands (some millions) of gallons water in a day (24 hour period). The volume of toxin to pollute that much water is large, so an attack via contamination of the water system isn't the most effective.

Taking out the water system itself, is another story. Although, many of the water systems have crossed link so if one plant goes down, the others can help out. Yet, most systems don't have a huge reserve of water just waiting to be sent out. So, physically disrupting the flow of water would have a much greater impact than trying to contaminate it to my understanding.

In addition, depending on where you are located, the water supply issue could be much greater threat. Those in the southwest that rely on water coming in from a great distance could be at much greater risk than those that have the Mighty Mississippi in their backyard. If the water supplies in this area where all knocked out, it would be a great inconvenience, but people could still get water from the river (or one of the many lakes/ponds) and boil it until the water was restored. In the desert. you don't have that option.
(06-21-2018, 12:52 PM)bmyers Wrote: I think in the early 2000s (possibly 2002) a law was passed requiring water departments serving more than 3,000 customers to develop protective plans.

You always see in the movies that the bad guy goes after the water supply with a little vile of something evil. The problem with attacking water supplies, is the volume of poison/toxin needed to destroy a water supply.

In the old Western movies they would poison a well, which works, but it is a localized source and very low flow so the toxin stays there and isn't dissipated throughout the water system. Most modern water departments flows thousands (some millions) of gallons water in a day (24 hour period). The volume of toxin to pollute that much water is large, so an attack via contamination of the water system isn't the most effective.

Taking out the water system itself, is another story. Although, many of the water systems have crossed link so if one plant goes down, the others can help out. Yet, most systems don't have a huge reserve of water just waiting to be sent out. So, physically disrupting the flow of water would have a much greater impact than trying to contaminate it to my understanding.

In addition, depending on where you are located, the water supply issue could be much greater threat. Those in the southwest that rely on water coming in from a great distance could be at much greater risk than those that have the Mighty Mississippi in their backyard. If the water supplies in this area where all knocked out, it would be a great inconvenience, but people could still get water from the river (or one of the many lakes/ponds) and boil it until the water was restored. In the desert. you don't have that option.

Some "conspiracy theorists" would say that is fluoride.
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
(06-21-2018, 12:52 PM)bmyers Wrote: I think in the early 2000s (possibly 2002) a law was passed requiring water departments serving more than 3,000 customers to develop protective plans.

That was interesting to read, appreciate the insight.  I suppose for some water sources it would take quite a large amount of 'whatever' to thoroughly taint the water.  That provides a certain level of comfort.

Secure/build yer own system/s.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reminder to protect against ticks bmyers 4 205 07-03-2018, 02:28 PM
Last Post: David
  Two interesting articles on power grid bmyers 0 509 09-06-2017, 10:56 AM
Last Post: bmyers
  Things you REALLY should be worried about besides the President Bob 10 3,118 12-22-2016, 11:49 PM
Last Post: mac66
  Beyond Off Grid Summit - Free Seminars David 2 1,320 11-12-2015, 02:03 PM
Last Post: David