Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Pistol Caliber Carbine Thread
PISTOL CALIBER CARBINES: THE RODNEY DANGERFIELD OF DEFENSIVE FIREARMS
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Back when I was still working I visited another campus police department and was shown their (at the time) new patrol rifles. They chose H&K 94 (semi auto version of the MP5) but with short barrels (SBR). They were replacing all their shotguns in the patrol vehicles. The rationale was that they were easier to shoot than shotguns, held more ammo, were more accurate than pistols at longer range. They also had some intimidation factor in that the looked like sub guns. The officers liked them and had confidence in them. The reality was that most of the females couldn't/wouldn't shoot the shotguns (or pistols for that matter) very well. They particularly liked the SBRs.

As much as I like shotguns I have to agree with Dave that a PCC is probably a better choice for HD.

That was an increase in velocity of 239 fps for a 180 grain Gold Dot.  That's pretty impressive.  The Gold Dot held together very well which I'd expect being a bonded bullet.  Question would be how a non-bonded bullet such as the Winchester USA 180 JHP would hold together.  The GD is rated at 1025 fps so the round in the video exceeded that out of the G22.  The Winchester USA is rated at 1010 fps.  So I'd assume the Win USA out of the 2K would probably dance around 1200 fps.  Would the Win USA hold together or fragment at maybe a couple of hundred FPS faster?  Don't know.  I would 'think' that it would still hold together well.  While the increase in velocity is impressive it's not like it's being driven to rifle velocities.  

On 9mm velocities;

Rhonda and I went out to our friends property Sunday afternoon and took the FX-9 pistol. It ran great. We put a little over 100 rounds through it without any hiccups. He had purchased six steel targets from 4"-8" size. He placed them from 10 yards to 45 yards out.

The red dot made it easy and quick to transition from one steel to the other. The longer distance shots were no problems and much, much easier and quicker than with the pistols. The closer steel wasn't much difference between the FX-9 pistol and the Glock, but further out is where you see the advantage of having the extra points of contact on the firearm.
Okay, here's a question for you folks with more experience than me in regards to optics;

I'd like to get a red dot for my 2K.  I know there is a folding mount that is made specifically for the 2K that allows it to fold over so the 2K can be folded in half as designed.  I see mixed reviews on it allowing an optic to stay zero'd.  Is the issue with that mount or the optic some people are using?  Is there an optic that can be quickly and easily attached/detached so the 2K can be folded but the optic attached when needed and it stays zero'd?

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

A buddy of mine used a 45° mount. No quick release or rotating handguards needed. Folds normally and you just cant the gun a bit to shoot like 3gun competitors do.
You may of already seen this, but here is a web article for mounts on SUB2000

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016...tic-mount/

https://youtu.be/R_YOxV1Wo2s

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Zombie gun thread David 7 112 11-01-2018, 10:32 PM
Last Post: Bob
  Pistol Braces Under Fire Ronin.45 7 113 10-31-2018, 10:29 PM
Question Smallest gun/caliber you'd feel comfortable with? David 125 10,663 10-19-2018, 12:59 PM
Last Post: David
  Single Stack Carry Thread (w/pics) David 23 752 10-17-2018, 12:18 PM
Last Post: David
  Semi-auto pistol vs. revolver David 22 983 09-19-2018, 12:28 PM
Last Post: bmyers
  Home Defense Thread David 16 1,094 07-20-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: bdcochran
  Multi-caliber capability David 11 819 05-27-2018, 07:19 PM
Smile Caliber Warz David 23 5,636 02-12-2018, 01:20 AM
Last Post: mac66
  AR Pistol Build Bob 8 742 01-28-2018, 04:55 PM