Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Pistol Caliber Carbine Thread
Mac66 beat me to it, but been watching videos on the Extar EP9 and it is getting some really good reviews and is about $300 cheaper. WOrth giving it a look before you decide.

Also, if you do a search on YouTube you will see all the 'experts' discussing the fact that a letter was released by the ATF stating (basically) just because you use an item differently than designed, doesn't change the classification. An example, if you use a shovel to beat a stake into the ground, it is still a shovel even though you used it as a hammer. So, the pistol brace is still a brace even though you put it up against your shoulder.

Understand, that letters can change more quickly than laws. Yet, for my own use, I'm not concerned about how I hold my pistol.
My issue with the Extar is that the barrel is only 6.5 inches so it's the same as a G17LS. I'd like to pick up some FPS with a longer barrel. I had a roni converter for my g17, which was nifty, but didn't extend the barrel so it was a glorified grip
Interesting article I saw linked on GT:

Army sets sights on new concealable machine gun
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
(10-22-2018, 04:54 PM)David Wrote: Interesting article I saw linked on GT:

Army sets sights on new concealable machine gun

Been following this for some time.  What they will end up with is a 9mm on an AR platform no smaller than something in 5.56.    While law enforcement has gotten away from sub guns, replacing them with ARs (in many cases SBRs) the military is doing the opposite. Go figure.

Besides. Old Chuck was ahead of his time with his pair of micro UZIs

[Image: 6xtmKV6.jpg]

[Image: 9cRNdrC.jpg]

Come to think of it, a micro UZI wouldn't have been a bad choice as a PDW.
Saw a Sub 2K Gen 2 in .40 S&W on Armslist this morning for $350 that piqued my interest.  I'm already running .40 S&W with my two Glock 22.4's so this would be a good match.  I had that HP 4095TS a few years back and it was a fun gun to shoot.  Looking at various articles/vids the 2K looks to be able to drive a 180 grain round to about 1200 fps.  That has a bit of punch to it.

We'll see if it works out.

One article had an interesting comment in that the PCC is the modern HD shotgun.  That makes some sense because someone that may not be able to really handle a shotty may be able to handle a PCC just fine.  My wife would fall into that category.

Gun Review: Kel-Tec Sub-2000 .40

I've long thought the shotgun was overrated for HD. Many of the reasons people buy them for are pure myth. Turns out that criminals aren't especially afraid of the sound of a pump shotgun and you can miss just as easily with a shotgun at HD distances as any other gun.
https://www.mcarbo.com/9mm-trajectory-ch...chart.aspx 

I would have preferred them use 165 and 180 grain weight for the .40.

(10-23-2018, 04:14 PM)Ronin.45 Wrote: I've long thought the shotgun was overrated for HD. Many of the reasons people buy them for are pure myth. Turns out that criminals aren't especially afraid of the sound of a pump shotgun and you can miss just as easily with a shotgun at HD distances as any other gun.

Since reading that article I'm taking a hard look at the long gun HD role.  Right now the AR's are in the safe.  I have my Rem 870 as the primary HD long gun with 00 low recoil loads.  Including what's in the tube, side saddle and on the top folding stock I have 16 shells available IIRC.  And of course the recoil is going to be stout even with low recoil loads.  And not having ear protection if used in an emergency isn't a fun idea either.  

Compare that with this Sub 2K in .40 S&W.  That would have 15+1 rounds of 180 grain JHP or 22+1 if I want to use the longer G22 mag that I have.  Recoil should be much less and I would assume sound as well.  And the wife could probably use it whereas she couldn't use the 870 at all unless it was the most extreme emergency and then only for one round I would think.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Zombie gun thread David 7 213 11-01-2018, 10:32 PM
Last Post: Bob
  Pistol Braces Under Fire Ronin.45 7 214 10-31-2018, 10:29 PM
Question Smallest gun/caliber you'd feel comfortable with? David 125 12,913 10-19-2018, 12:59 PM
Last Post: David
  Single Stack Carry Thread (w/pics) David 23 1,111 10-17-2018, 12:18 PM
Last Post: David
  Semi-auto pistol vs. revolver David 22 1,413 09-19-2018, 12:28 PM
Last Post: bmyers
  Home Defense Thread David 16 1,463 07-20-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: bdcochran
  Multi-caliber capability David 11 1,039 05-27-2018, 07:19 PM
Smile Caliber Warz David 23 6,070 02-12-2018, 01:20 AM
Last Post: mac66
  AR Pistol Build Bob 8 911 01-28-2018, 04:55 PM