Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kevlar braided line ?
Has anyone used kevlar braided line/cordage ? is it easy to use ? I fancy getting afew hundred meters of the 2000lb type if it is any good. Kevlar being able to take higher temps due to its melting point of 500c / 930f versus paracord at 240c / 482f and its abrasion characteristics make me want to have some in my BOB at least, cost wise it is 8% cheaper to buy locally than my normal milspec paracord.

I know everyone and his dog whines on about the strands in 550 cord being important, i don't care just want some strong cordage, if i need to stitch myself up i just use dissolving sutures from my medkit or fishing line. 

I came across it while searching for some new climbing ropes, I have several thousand meters of milspec 550 cord on 300m spools which is the cheapest way i have found to get it locally from the local ships chandlers.

As an FYI i also get Dyneema Braid Sea Fishing Line form my local chandlers for sea fishing but i have found it has also become my goto light weight thread/line from using the 0.55mm 100lb to repair seams in my trousers to the 1.1mm 300lb for a general most everthing else cordage. Oh and i use 8lb 0.12mm for suturing myself if needed, a quick soak in iodine does the trick.
I also think that 550 paracord is over rated. That is heresy in the prepper world but I hate how it stretches and it's bulky. I prefer 3mm accessory cord, which is more dense and doesn't stretch, and I really like braided mason line from home depot. Inside it for everything, most notably guy lines for tarps and tents. It comes 500ft on a spool that is smaller than 50ft of paracord, and it's $6
Dave Canterbury preaches the merits of bank line.  Never used it myself but he thinks highly of the stuff.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
there are 2 different types of bank line braided and twisted, which does he recommend ?

One thing bank line does do well is stain other gear and your fingers, DO NOT store it with anything your care about. especially bad in warm weather and in cold it gets stiff and harder to use. I keep mine in an old cloth draw bag i got somewhere keeping it beside but seperate from my BOB and use length of fishing line to attach it to the bob so i don't forget it.

i have a small #36 50m spool of braided marine bankline as part of bob already. Untying knots can be a trial with the heavier tar types, but it is durable and knots are sort of clued together, which is why they are a pain to undo. I use it for one job to tie down i want to stay tied, it is also good for tying people up where it's untying PITA properties are a bonus. That being said i have afew sets of nylon cuffs in my bob in addition to the old style S&W police cuffs.

Top tip: if you can get hold of keys for the type of police cuffs in your area and put them on a chain around your neck as part of you bugout gear up. I sort of hide mine between my dogtags. If you get acouple second one middle of the back behind your belt to cover getting cuffed with your hands behind your back. Something like a stanley repalcement blade back there for nylon cuffs / hideout is useful to.

The local chandler gave me this advice when i asked him about bankline, get dipped rather than "applied" the applied is sprayed on tar uses a solvent to thin it for spraying which damages the cordage and it does not bond properly with the line. while it is non sticky mostly the application is to thin to preserve and protect the line from the elements mainly UV. Adding to the problem is that the cheaper line nylon are of lower quality in general and the applied tar covers the fact.
(06-22-2018, 02:56 PM)Wolfman Wrote: there are 2 different types of bank line braided and twisted, which does he recommend ?

One thing bank line does do well is stain other gear and your fingers, DO NOT store it with anything your care about. especially bad in warm weather and in cold it gets stiff and harder to use. I keep mine in an old cloth draw bag i got somewhere keeping it beside but seperate from my BOB and use length of fishing line to attach it to the bob so i don't forget it.

i have a small #36 50m spool of braided marine bankline as part of bob already. Untying knots can be a trial with the heavier tar types, but it is durable and knots are sort of clued together, which is why they are a pain to undo. I use it for one job to tie down i want to stay tied, it is also good for tying people up where it's untying PITA properties are a bonus. That being said i have afew sets of nylon cuffs in my bob in addition to the old style S&W police cuffs.

Top tip: if you can get hold of keys for the type of police cuffs in your area and put them on a chain around your neck as part of you bugout gear up. I sort of hide mine between my dogtags. If you get acouple second one middle of the back behind your belt to cover getting cuffed with your hands behind your back. Something like a stanley repalcement blade back there for nylon cuffs / hideout is useful to.

The local chandler gave me this advice when i asked him about bankline, get dipped rather than "applied" the applied is sprayed on tar uses a solvent to thin it for spraying which damages the cordage and it does not bond properly with the line. while it is non sticky mostly the application is to thin to preserve and protect the line from the elements mainly UV. Adding to the problem is that the cheaper line nylon are of lower quality in general and the applied tar covers the fact.
From what I've seen he uses the twisted version. Either one is good to use. Braided seems to hold a knot better, yet twisted unravels easily to get to smaller sized line[s]. Braided comes in nothing but bright colors[Home Depot] and bankline is a black tarred twisted line. I do not have any knowledge on the Kevlar product. It might be like a braided fishing line-Power-Pro, Spiderwire, Cabelas and others.
I picked up a 100m spool of the 300kg rated kevlar line yesterday and will report back on it after i have used it for awhile. How durable is the weight rating true etc.

I also picked up afew spools of just basic white braided nylon line of various diameters, like the outer sheath of paracord. And while typing this i wonder if i can get some lower rated kevlar (thinner) line and thread the core for a hybrid diy paracord.

"Oh son i have a little job for you" Smile