Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kevlar braided line ?
Has anyone used kevlar braided line/cordage ? is it easy to use ? I fancy getting afew hundred meters of the 2000lb type if it is any good. Kevlar being able to take higher temps due to its melting point of 500c / 930f versus paracord at 240c / 482f and its abrasion characteristics make me want to have some in my BOB at least, cost wise it is 8% cheaper to buy locally than my normal milspec paracord.

I know everyone and his dog whines on about the strands in 550 cord being important, i don't care just want some strong cordage, if i need to stitch myself up i just use dissolving sutures from my medkit or fishing line. 

I came across it while searching for some new climbing ropes, I have several thousand meters of milspec 550 cord on 300m spools which is the cheapest way i have found to get it locally from the local ships chandlers.

As an FYI i also get Dyneema Braid Sea Fishing Line form my local chandlers for sea fishing but i have found it has also become my goto light weight thread/line from using the 0.55mm 100lb to repair seams in my trousers to the 1.1mm 300lb for a general most everthing else cordage. Oh and i use 8lb 0.12mm for suturing myself if needed, a quick soak in iodine does the trick.
I also think that 550 paracord is over rated. That is heresy in the prepper world but I hate how it stretches and it's bulky. I prefer 3mm accessory cord, which is more dense and doesn't stretch, and I really like braided mason line from home depot. Inside it for everything, most notably guy lines for tarps and tents. It comes 500ft on a spool that is smaller than 50ft of paracord, and it's $6
Dave Canterbury preaches the merits of bank line.  Never used it myself but he thinks highly of the stuff.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.