Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big bang
Rhonda and I were shooting IDPA match last night. All was going well for her and midway through the stage, a large fireball and really loud report came from her gun. The SO stopped her, then another guy and I went to inspect her gun. It was fine, but from what we can figure out, my friend that makes reloads for us on occasion, must of had an off night and double charged the round. 

Thankfully she wasn't hurt and the gun held up fine. 

Although it was a very strange night at the range overall. We had TWO people that had squib loads along with Rhonda's double charged load. 

Brings up the importance of making sure you have good ammo for self-defense, because the bad guy will not give you a timeout or a reshoot.
Glad to hear that Rhonda and the gun are ok. Lackadaisical reloading has definitely resulted in damage to weapons and shooters before. Hopefully it's the only bad round in the batch.
Amen that she's fine and not hurt.  That can be quite an unnerving experience.  Good to see the gun was also undamaged and shows that Glock makes a strong product.  No need for coffee after something like that though!
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Ditto on not getting hurt. You also may want to give the gun a close inspection.

Few guns can withstand a double charge and Glocks will blow out the magazine with a too hot load (about 150%+ depending on model). My guess is that there may have been some cleaning media that wasn't cleaned out prior to loading. This usually happens with new media where the polishing compound is still clumping and not fully dry. Or, the bullet had a crimp that was not tight enough to hold the bullet in place and it sank deeper in the casing than it should be due to the recoil of the previously fired bullets.

I suggest you return the rest of the ammo batch to your loader so that they can pull it apart to see if anything else is out of order. Also were you able to recover the spent shell casing of the big bang shot? That can also tell a lot about what happened.

Do you know what type of powder was used in this load? Weight of powder and bullet?

BTW: I reload in batches. I also shoot up that batch at a range in one session so I usually keep my batches less than 200 count. There are exceptions like when I am loading hunting ammo but the process I use there is on the single stage press where I double and triple check everything. Any time I have a super hot discharge, squib, or unexpected mouse fart load I stop shooting and the rest of the ammo gets disassembled under great scrutiny. In 30+ years of reloading I have had a few super hot discharges, only 2 squibs, and 1 unexpected mouse fart load - after taking the rest of the ammo apart the only one I cannot explain is one of the squibs.
The weight of the bullet is 135 grain. I did not see the case.

I took the pistol completely apart and did a detail cleaning and inspection and can't find anything. I used Simple Green to clean everything including any lube off the gun to get a a good look. Shined light throughout the gun and barrel, stripped the parts out, and I can't find anything that looks damage. I have cleaned it, lubed it, and everything back together.

As far as the left over ammo, I switched ammo with her, like any good husband would, and shot the rest of the ammo out of my gun without any issues. So, inspecting the ammo in that batch isn't possible because it is all shot up (we had 500 rounds from him and that was the last of it).

The magazine did not blow out, so it may not of been as hot as it appeared. The fireball and loud boom, brought everything to stop, so we know it was hotter than the other rounds.
You can take the barrel out and run your finger tips along the full length of the barrel.  See if you feel anything such as bulging or anything odd that the eye might not necessarily pick up.  The gun is probably fine but of course best to make sure.

I rubbed all over it. Rhonda came walking in while I was doing it and concentrating deeply to see if i could feel anything unusual. She commented how I might need to get professional help if I felt that attached to a barrel.
Your lucky I wasn't drinking anything when I read that... Big Grin