Poll: What's your preference?
Tent
Hammock
Other
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tent, hammock or other?
a note on hammocks. I learned from my one adventure with them that having a mummy type bag, that tapers, works pretty well, since the part around your feet also tapers down with the rope.

and I froze my arse off in my hammock. I didn't know that I wouldn't be allowed to have a fire next to me. I did use the $8 tarp from Walmart as a cover and it was nice to keep the breeze off me. My sleeping bag just wasn't quite up to the task (it was a cheapie)
(08-04-2016, 11:12 PM)ric0123 Wrote: a note on hammocks. I learned from my one adventure with them that having a mummy type bag, that tapers, works pretty well, since the part around your feet also tapers down with the rope.

and I froze my arse off in my hammock. I didn't know that I wouldn't be allowed to have a fire next to me.   I did use the $8 tarp from Walmart as a cover and it was nice to keep the breeze off me.  My sleeping bag just wasn't quite up to the task (it was a cheapie)

You need the check out that thread on winterizing your hammock (in this section).  It was really easy to do and goes a LONG way towards helping you keep warm.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I own multiple tents, a hammock, and a few different tarp setups! Tried the hammock for camping, just couldn't get comfortable and sleep well in it. I gave it several tries and no success. The hammock will just have to be used for enjoying a cold drink and a good book! That said, I love the versatility and protection a tent provides.

Now, I've used a lot of my gear in some pretty harsh conditions and no tarp or hammock will ever take that sort of abuse, but then again my background is mountaineering, alpine climbing, and backcountry skiing where the other two options just don't have a place. But, I do have a soft spot for the versatility of a tarp in a survival setup! I keep one in my BOB and in a survival kit on my range belt. I do use a tarp a few times a year on summer and fall backpacking trips where I know I'm in heavily wooded areas and just want to go old school and minimalist for the shear enjoyment of it!

Whatever your shelter choice may be, as long as you are out in the field using any of them then you are good in my book! Big Grin
I can't wait for some cooler weather so we can get back out in the woods!  Just need to find the right rain fly for my hammock, or maybe make one myself.  Or maybe just get a cheap tarp and HFT for a few bucks...

Bought a couple of Equip Mosquito Hammock's at Walmart a couple of months ago.  Going to try them out on the SEP gathering next month.

Put me down for a tarp. With a tarp I can make a nice shelter, use it to haul firewood, use it to collect rain water, put it in a creek and drive fish into it, make a boat, and I can even use some 550 cord and make it into a hammock.
(11-02-2016, 01:06 AM)Cougar90 Wrote: Put me down for a tarp.  With a tarp I can make a nice shelter, use it to haul firewood, use it to collect rain water, put it in a creek and drive fish into it, make a boat, and I can even use some 550 cord and make it into a hammock.

Tarps don't get the rep they deserve. I carry 2 military ponchos for about the same purpose.
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
(10-12-2016, 03:46 PM)David Wrote: Bought a couple of Equip Mosquito Hammock's at Walmart a couple of months ago.  Going to try them out on the SEP gathering next month.

Have to say that I was very pleased with the hammock on this last SEP gathering.  Plenty of room and very comfortable.  Did the Dave Canterbury's tip on winterizing the hammock and it worked like a charm.  It was a good nights sleep, the best yet in a hammock.

Been trying to decide whether to use my Catoma EBNS tent or my hammock at the SEP gathering in a couple of weeks.  One thing I've been needing was a good, light weight rain fly for the hammock.  I found this on Ebay;

Preself 10 x 10 FT Lightweight Waterproof RipStop Rain Fly

Only $13.15 which is about what I think a rain fly should cost.  But then...I'm frugal in some area and this is one of them.  I've been using a HF tarp but it is much heavier and awkward and doesn't cover the way I'd like it to cover.  Last time I used one and it rained my feet were getting wet.  I think it was one of the 7x9 tarps or something close.  This is 10x10 so hopefully it will be more than sufficient.  Should arrive before the trip and if so I'll go with the hammock so I can field test it over a couple of days.  

Really hoping it turns out to be a great buy!

I actually just sold my hammock setup. I used it in the survival school I went to and i was miserable.

A: The trees were too far apart, so I couldn't set up my spread ropes the way I normally do
B: Since my spreaders weren't working, the sides folded in on me to the point that i felt like i was in a coffin.
C: Even after adjusting the ropes for 2 hours, I couldn't stop my arse from dragging on the ground.
D: I thought that hammocks were a time saver, set up wise... but by the time you string all the ropes and set the guide lines for your rain fly and get everything tensioned right, I probably could have just done a damn tent

However, unless you want to spend a TON of money on an REI backpacking tent, a hammock and rain fly sure takes up less space in a bag/backpack

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Tent Gene 8 743 03-13-2018, 12:54 AM
Last Post: Gene