Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weapon mounted lights
I don't recall having a specific thread for this so here goes.

Bmeyers thread on his PL-2 started me thinking (thank you) about these types of lights.  Who uses them, on what and what kind do you use?

I've just got one cheap light that, to be honest, I don't have a lot of confidence in.  It isn't the brightest and I have concerns on durability.  Don't ask me the brand, I think it's some off-brand.  At the time I didn't have any extra $ to put into a 'good' one and don't have enough knowledge base to know a really good one.  

So I like the looks of that PL-2.  What else are folks using and on what?  What is your though process for using one...or not using one?
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I have several weapon mounted lights.

My first one, was a $20 no name brand from Amazon, which half way through the night stage it stopped working.

So, I then bought a TLR-1. Works great, did good at 30 yards or less. The one issue I noticed these lights are meant for smokey/foggy conditions and we were shooting a night match with a little fog and it reflected a lot of light back into your eyes.

Yet, the TLR-1 didn't cut it on the 100 yard rifle stage, so I purchased the TLR-1 HPL, which works nice. I have used it in two night matches and really lights it up.

I have the TLR-6 on my G26. It is nice and works well in 15-20 yard range. It is a 100 lumen, so not super bright, but works great for personal defense.

Recently, I purchased the Olight PL Mini and it is on par with the TLR-1. My only concern is that the battery is not replaceable and it uses a special charging cable.

Olight ran a special on the PL-2, so I grabbed two of those. We now have one on each of our G19s. The Streamlights have been moved over to the various rifles.

I haven't had a chance to use the Olight PL-2 in a match yet, but look forward to trying it out, but have to get a holster for it first.

The reason we believe in lights, I want to see what i am shooting at. We have a teenage daughter and I don't want to make the mistake of shooting her because I didn't properly identify my target.

As far as the concern with using a light and it being used by the bad guy to shot you, I'm not worried about that for a couple of reasons. The first, around 2010, most likely earlier than that, there started being a change in this thought process. Lights have dramatically improved and the ability to have 300+ lumens at your fingertips makes a big difference. Temporary blindness occurs around 80-100 lumens. Yet, as we all know when you have been hit with a really bright light, you see spots for few minutes afterwards. So, with the availability of these bright lights in small packages, I feel it actually gives me an advantage. I'm able to identify the target and blind the target at the same time and have both hands on my weapon to get good accurate shots.

Yet, like any tool, you need to practice with it so you are comfortable with it and know its limitations and realize the potential downfalls (such as a hallway mirror when you walk around the corner you shine the light right at it and that light comes right back at you).

Those I the reasons and the lights that I currently use.
Good post.  I wonder how hard it would be to find a holster for my G43 if I put a light on it?  I'll have to take a look around.  The bedside G22 isn't a concern as I keep it in a padded case.

I like the look of that TLR-6 for the G43.  I just need to find a holster that I like that will fit it.  i like the Bravo Torsion but I don't think they make it for a G43 w/TLR-6.  I'll look around a bit more to see if anything strikes my fancy.  Just want it to be as comfortable as possible.

I have a Crossbreed Mini-tuck for the G43 and they have the option for the TLR-6 on it. They also have an option for the G26 with the TLR-6.
Lights on weapons comments and some suggestions.

Perspective of person not with the light and alternatives:
1. The direction of the light beam tells a person in what direction the person with the light is examining.
2. When the person with the light is moving in the dark, he has to keep shining it in a way to learn if there are obstructions on the ground or floor.
3. If a person with a light is holding the light in a hand, he has to have a free hand to open or close a door. and to shine the light at the same time.
4. If the person with the light on the weapon comes to a door, he has to shine the light at the doorknob.
5. If the person with the light enters a room, he has to scan the room area by area with the light and possibly sweep people he does not want to sweep.

Alternatives. Put a faint light on a lanyard around the neck. Have faint lights available to toss into a room.

A faint light like a photon 2 keeps the floor/walls/door knobs in view without indicating to an opponent where you are looking. It allows you to keep the weapon in an action mode. Throwing a light in a room avoids sweeps.

Experiences - clearing three story office building with partition walls/stacked furniture/people on gantries. Doing the alternative lighting with handgun/shotgun/rifle. singly and in teams.

Yes, I did the Surefire light course years ago and shook up a trainer because I knew he was right handed and where to be where he would not expect it.

Let's make it simple. Give a buddy a stick to hold in his hand. Have him in a room that is totally dark off a totally dark hallway. Ask him to hide himself in the room after putting obstructions in the hallway. Walk out an exercise just with a flashlight in your hand. The next time, do the alternatives that I suggest. Report back.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Added a few lights to our collection bmyers 7 557 08-04-2018, 06:27 PM
Last Post: Ronin.45
  How many CR123 lights do you currently have? Bob 12 4,065 01-22-2017, 08:19 PM
Last Post: David