Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volcano Eruption
One of the interesting thing about lava is how it moves. It not only bubbles up from deep within the earth but it also goes sideways and tunnels through the ground making caves. One of the more interesting of them is called the Thurston Tube. Looks like a giant worm hole through the ground.

[Image: IusMC7U.jpg]

It is a couple hundred yards long. No telling how old it is and exposure is usually due to part of it collapsing.

[Image: 8NyfWTl.jpg]

Sorry for the bad photos

Another tube is called the Kaumana Caves.

[Image: TQyaR65.jpg]

You access it from the center collapsed part and then can walk into either end.

[Image: suSwQMM.jpg]

[Image: 3boNiwH.jpg]

The Thurston Tube is in the national park and has a walk way through it and is lighted. Kuamana is outside Hilo and is kind of just a roadside park. No lights, no walkway. There is stairway going down into it but once there you are on your own to explore. Inside is pretty rugged. We went back as far as we dared in both directions before it got so narrow from collapses you had to crawl.
CATASTROPHE FEARS: New fissures have opened on Hawaii's Big Island - bringing the total to 17 - spewing bits of bright red lava several hundred feet in the air and escalating fears of violent explosions to come, more than a week after Kilauea, one of the world’s most active volcanos, erupted ... Hawaii Civil Defense officials said they went door-to-door Sunday waking people up and telling them to evacuate. At least 37 structures, including 27 homes, have been destroyed since the eruptions began. The lava has covered more than 17 acres of land. The Hawaii National Guard is prepared to use ground convoys and helicopters to help evacuate hundreds of residents stuck in the southeast corner of Hawaii’s Big Island should Kilauea make it impossible to get out, authorities said.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/14/fox...tions.html
This morning they are at a 'red level' alert.

PAHALA, Hawaii – Hawaii residents are facing the highest volcanic activity alert after officials warned Tuesday that the Big Island's Kilauea volcano is growing more explosive -- as a massive ash cloud grows in the sky.

The U.S. Geological Survery upgraded its previous volcano warning from "orange" to "red," signifying that an "eruption is forecasted to be imminent with significant emission of ash into the atmosphere likely," or that an eruption is already underway.

“At any time, activity may become more explosive, increasing the intensity of ash production and producing ballistic projectiles near the vent," local officials told Fox News amid the alert, which was issued just before 1:30 p.m. local time.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/16/haw...rning.html
[Image: 16775207_G.png]

That is dedication to your sport
(05-16-2018, 06:10 PM)bmyers Wrote: [Image: 16775207_G.png]

That is dedication to your sport

That is classic human ignorance.

No matter how well known the threat, people will ignore it out of greed, foolishness, short-sightedness, selfishness, or just plain convenience.  And then they will cry and complain when it all goes south.  And then .gov will spend my money to bail their @$$ out.

Don't get me wrong - molten glowing rock is cool stuff!  But when it is headed to my back yard - time to go.  They don't really know what will happen or when.  But I know that it will ruin my day in ways that I can't recover from.  

A guy got hit by lava on his shin.  He was watching it from his balcony.  Just like watching the waves here during a cat 3+. No complaints....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Guatemala eruption bmyers 3 101 06-04-2018, 07:16 PM
Last Post: bmyers