Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volcano Eruption
Just got back this morning from Hawaii and have been following the the eruption of Kilauea.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/05/04/hawaii-volcano-eruption-sends-lava-into-residential-area-prompting-evacuations.html

I bring this up because we were at Kilauea from three days this week including the night before the eruption.  We did a lot hiking including going down to the the caldera's floor.   One of the things to do there is to go to the overlook at night to watch the lava bubbling up. The authorities there were very excited as they started seeing more and more activity in the 4 or 5 days before the eruption.  The night before, we were amazed by the lava flow (kind of a once in a lifetime thing to see flowing lava).  The very next morning (after a series of earthquakes), the lava broke through in a subdivision down the mountain, which we passed on our way out to go over to Kona (other side of the island).

Here' is a prepper's tip....don't build a house (or a subdvision) on an active volcano.

I'll try and dig up some photos. Haven't had a chance to sort through them yet.

Here' what the caldera looks like during the day....

[Image: EeKeeRl.jpg]

here's what it looked like that night...

[Image: yzfTUW6.jpg]

Here's the view from Volcano House (the lodge at the national park) where we were eating dinner that night.

[Image: cdbfCmW.jpg]

The first two photos are from an overlook about a mile and a half from the lodge.
Neat pictures
Seen a few news reports about this over the last few days.  Quite awesome in it's destructive power and I feel for those folks that have lost their homes.  I mean, how in the world do you stop flowing lava!?!  Maybe dig a long trench to divert it away?  

Sobering thought when you live on the side of a volcano.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Just to give you an idea of what they are dealing with. The first photo below was taken when we were on the big island in 2009. The second photo is the same spot in 2018. Between 2009 and 2015 they cleared and repaved the road to provide and evacuation route for the town at the end of the road. In 2016 the volcano erupted again and covered the road about 5 miles from this spot. These lava flows are 28 miles from the volcano. You can't go anywhere on the island without encountering lava flows from 1916, 1920s,1940s, 50s, 60s. 70s, 80s, 2000s. I mean it happens just about every decade. There was one in 2011 and again in 2016 as mention. And yet, everywhere you go they are building towns and houses on the lava flows.

[Image: eUkpbwm.jpg]

Below pic is the same spot as above this last week. That used to be the coast road until it was covered. Then they made it into and evac route until it was covered again.

[Image: 3g2QTlK.jpg]

Below...The hills in the background are about 5 miles away and used to be cliffs above the ocean. The lighter black is older lava flows. The dark black is newer lava flows on the older ones. It is all you can see in every direction. They run all the way to the ocean and have created hundreds of miles of new land on the island. From the top photo you can walk to the ocean's edge and be on the newest land on the planet.

[Image: JxwiVsf.jpg]

This is what the land looks like from that ridge. All light and dark lava flows as far as you can see

[Image: odltCHm.jpg]

And here is what the coast looks like looking the other direction about 50 yards from the coast road in photo 1.

[Image: Pc4O1ro.jpg]

Here is one of the lava flows from 1970s

[Image: HDdBKFv.jpg]

Nature destroys, man adapts. It's an amazing process.
Wow, ever growing island.
And BTW on the island of Maui they have the Haleakla volcano which is the largest on the planet. It is over 10,000 feet high. It is now dormant but is impressive. It is basically the whole island.

[url=https

://imgur.com/xi7JOVc][Image: xi7JOVc.jpg][/url]

Way above the clouds at the top...You can actually see one of the other islands on the horizon on the left.

[Image: eHA7hd2.jpg]

And you can see the shoreline in the center of this photo. It was pretty cool ( figuratively and literally) at 10K feet. Also a lot clearer visibility wise than when were there in 2009.

[Image: 3i9Bu9c.jpg]

Here is the cone of the volcano. Those mounds on cinder cones.

[Image: GpzYoLW.jpg]

We hiked down into the cone. you can see the trail to the right of me.

[Image: ZL7J7D0.jpg]

And then back up....you can see one of the cinder cones on the right.

[Image: oGgYaLw.jpg]
Still watching this on the news of course.  What is sobering is how much is flowing underneath the ground and how it can simply pop up virtually anywhere.  It's not just that lava flow coming down the road or across the field, it's the  one that pops up in the backyard unexpectedly.  

Not sure if sobering or frightening is the better word...

When you live on an active volcano, I guess you shouldn't be surprised when lava shows up at the dinner table.

Probably why I wouldn't live there. Love to visit, but not a place for me to stay.
I read a report about a woman that just bought a house close by and now it's threatened. She's mad and said 'if I knew there was a volcano near by I would not have bought a house here. Forehead slap. Its like buying a house in Florida and not knowing the ocean was close by
(05-12-2018, 05:27 PM)ric0123 Wrote: I read a report about a woman that just bought a house close by and now it's threatened. She's mad and said 'if I knew there was a volcano near by I would not have bought a house here. Forehead slap.  Its like buying a house in Florida and not knowing the ocean was close by

Seriously!   Big Grin

Really, the whole island is a volcano more or less.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Guatemala eruption bmyers 3 238 06-04-2018, 07:16 PM
Last Post: bmyers