Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corrosion in EDC Flashlight
I pulled out my handy EDC light to use it under my car hood a few evenings ago. It flickered a bit, shone solid, then went out. Took it inside and found it had corroded pretty badly. I soaked it with vinegar, dried it out, then again in a baking soda paste to stop the corrosion. I tried to find a decent brush to clean the body with, then found that the copper brushes I don't use from my gun cleaning kit worked great! 

So, now its all clean, had a rubbing alcohol wipe down, and is now drying for a few days. Do y'all have any tips on cleaning out something like this? Or how to prevent it? Would a product like a gun oil help prevent corrosion?
(04-25-2018, 08:49 PM)A3M0N Wrote: I pulled out my handy EDC light to use it under my car hood a few evenings ago. It flickered a bit, shone solid, then went out. Took it inside and found it had corroded pretty badly. I soaked it with vinegar, dried it out, then again in a baking soda paste to stop the corrosion. I tried to find a decent brush to clean the body with, then found that the copper brushes I don't use from my gun cleaning kit worked great! 

So, now its all clean, had a rubbing alcohol wipe down, and is now drying for a few days. Do y'all have any tips on cleaning out something like this? Or how to prevent it? Would a product like a gun oil help prevent corrosion?
Hi, curious what brand of light it is? The answer may be a better light? I run surefires and stream lights and have never had that problem. I do remember it happening on mag lights 30years ago.

(04-25-2018, 08:49 PM)A3M0N Wrote: I pulled out my handy EDC light to use it under my car hood a few evenings ago. It flickered a bit, shone solid, then went out. Took it inside and found it had corroded pretty badly. I soaked it with vinegar, dried it out, then again in a baking soda paste to stop the corrosion. I tried to find a decent brush to clean the body with, then found that the copper brushes I don't use from my gun cleaning kit worked great! 

Hi, I don’t know the answer but am curious what brand of light it is?
I'm curious what brand of light also.

Did a battery leak? Do you think it was just from moisture getting into the light?

I know my EDC lights are supposed to be IPX8 rated, so I would think that would prevent anything from getting inside the light except if the battery was the cause.
If you’re using AA or AAA baterries I would highly recommend Eneloop batteries over alkaline.  Alkaline can and do leak but rechargeable don’t.  Plus Eneloop can be recharged around 2000 times and still hold 70% of there charge after 5 years.  If it is a C or D cell then Tenergy is a good name brand.  Energizer Silver rechargeables are also good.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Or just carry a spare plastic flashlight Smile

but leaking batteries can screw up almost any light... My extra flashlight in the truck is in a pouch with the batteries in separate zip lock...never an issue
It is a cheap one, its Coast brand. Its worked well for quite some time though. It uses a single AAA battery, and I was using an alkaline battery. I'll look into some rechargeables, it makes sense that they wouldn't leak.

I usually carry it clipped inside my back pocket, I pulled it out a few days ago and noticed some moisture in the lens and kinda brushed it off. There is an o-ring on the battery cap, maybe I'll go see if I can find a replacement before I put a new battery in it. I'm going to let it dry out for several more days. I haven't seen a way to get to the LED, so as far as I know the only opening is the battery cap.

Thanks!
If you have a Costco in your area they often have good deals on Eneloop battery packages with a good charger.  That is all I use in my AA/AAA lights unless it is capable of using a lithium ion.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Well, I cleaned my flashlight out good and dried it for two days, then put a fresh lithium battery in it... nothing. Won't turn on. Oh well.
I never found a way to deal with corrosion other than to keep the batteries out of a flashlight.

Comment on the rechargeables. I decided last year to switch to rechargeables as much as possible. So, I purchased multiple set ups of the excellent Costco deal on Eneloops. I have a lot of Tenergy units as well. The three game cameras set up in the backyard take a lot of batteries. Well, I decided to review how much juice was left after three months. Ok. The batteries in the first unit were way down and probably not working. So, I set up recharging them and another set. Will take care of the remaining two units over the next day. Next, I will experiment and learn how much juice is left after two months.

Further comment: I had my suspicions that leaving a unit operable full time would run the batteries down fairly quickly. So, I tried to research some idea of the following. Take a flashlight. Put in a couple of AA batteries. One time use alkaline. The next time use eneloops or tenergy rechargeables. Which set lasts longer? No information except that the type of device like using a camera vs. flashlight makes a difference. There is probably is no good answer. So, my only conclusion is that if I keep the three game trail cameras going, it is going to be a lot cheaper with the rechargeables.
I had that happen with my 3 cell Mag light this past fall. After I cleaned it up I converted it to LED. I put some alkaline batteries back in but I put a light coating of dielectric grease on the ends of the batteries. If I had anything else that uses D sized batteries I would consider upgrading my charging station to something that could charge more than AA and AAA.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Your EDC flashlight David 37 8,250 04-12-2018, 12:44 AM
Last Post: David
  The importance of a good flashlight David 7 1,279 03-02-2018, 01:24 PM
Video Survival flashlight David 2 1,929 07-28-2015, 02:48 AM