Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simulator training
I took my work safety team down to the local gun range that has a simulator in it. I was the only one that had shot simulators before.

It was interesting to listen to them over the hour long training and going through drills.

Couple of take away items from the training:
  • One of the guys realized that his LC9 was not going to be effective gun for him to use over any distance greater than 7 yards based on his skill set; he has since switched to a different gun that he shots better
  • Another gentleman realized that the bellyband holster was very comfortable, but he would not be able to access his firearm quickly; he has switched to a strong side holster IWB
  • All of them was surprised by how fast everything occurred; one common theme was you didn't have time to think, you just reacted
It was WELL worth the money we spent for the training and actually plan on doing it on quarterly bases. We have had the guys to the range and they all shot well on a static range, but had never experienced anything like that. 

I shot one scenario and killed the bad guy, then another team member came up and they were playing the same scenario, but this time when the alleged bad guy turned around, he had a cell phone in his hand. The cell phone guy got gunned down by my team member. It was a great learning opportunity and they all walked away with a whole new appreciation for law enforcement and how quickly things unfold and the difficulty of making split second decisions.

I think if these activist had to go through an hour long training on the simulators and could only protest if they made the right decision every time, we would see a lot less activist. In the heat of the moment, fearing that person is going to kill you or someone else, it is very difficult to make out the little details. Sitting on your sofa and replaying the video 30 times, it is easy to pick apart the decision made.
We use the F.A.T.S. system (FireArms Training System).

Uses live ammunition and has tens of thousands of shoot/don't shoot scenarios that are branch-chained to a computer.  If the shot isn't in a vital area the bad guy continues to fight/shoot/attack or gets back up if he's fallen down.  Multiple attacker scenarios emphases the need for a spare magazine (or two).  It stresses a ton of important training information:

• How different a live-action scenario under duress is from static range training.
  • The difficulty in making a split second life and death decision.
  • Seeking cover/concealment if available.
  • Difficulty of getting good hits when you and/or the target are moving.
  • Difficulty of getting good hits under duress while being shot at/attacked.
  • The need to be aware of the area beyond the target as well as in the immediate area for bystanders and/or additional threats.
  • The need for ammunition if the threat is under the influence of something or multiple attackers.
  • Also demonstrates what can happen physiologically under duress like tunnel vision, loss of manual dexterity in the extremities, hearing etc.
Glad you got a chance to experience it and that it was useful.  It's a plus for anyone serious about SD.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spring training Ronin.45 8 2,524 07-04-2016, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Ronin.45
  Malfunction training David 0 744 09-21-2015, 08:32 PM
Last Post: David
  Training & Practice Ronin.45 11 6,157 07-21-2015, 09:56 PM
Last Post: David