Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maxpedition
I love Maxpedition packs. But has anyone noticed how the new lines are getting away from the tactical, rugged offerings of the past? Not sure I’m digging the new line (ENTITY)  all seemingly based on the gray man. Don’t really care for the AGR line either. Some of the pieces are okay I guess but I hope they continue to make what made them famous, now called the legacy line. 

Their still making the fat boys, versipacks and gear slingers but just in black and maybe kaki. They seem to have dropped the OD Green, foliage green, camos and other colors.  Sad...
That's the first I've seen of this particular line.  I like Maxpedition stuff but have to admit that it's way overpriced.  I wonder how much the knock-offs cut into their business?  I have a few of their products and they are indeed well made and rugged (like my Lundada) but some of the knock-offs (some not all) are almost as well made at a fraction of the price.  My EDC is a Remora knock-off that cost $29.  It's 1000D just like the Remora and pretty much a clone for about a third of the price.  Take a look at the EDC thread:

EDC thread

Specifically posts on page 4 & 5.  Bmyers and I were chatting back and forth about the Remora style clones.  I got a couple of them for like $8.  No, they aren't the equal of a Remora quality wise.  If the Remora is a 10 (which I think they are) then the $8 version is probably a 7 or 8.  But for $8 how can you go wrong?  Since it's not a 'life-and-death' piece of gear it's no an issue.  I think I made the point that you could buy 10 of those clones for the price of one Remora.  And so far I still use that $29 Remora clone and it's done just fine.  I'd say it's a 9 out of 10 and haven't seen yet where it maybe isn't a full 10.  Time will tell.

Now that's not to rag on Maxpedition.  Like I said, I love their product.  Just would prefer it to be more realistically priced.  Sootch00 is a big Maxpedition advertiser on his Sensible Prepper channel and has good information on them.  But I also realize they send him the gear for free and Sootch00 rarely says anything bad about his free products.  

Gotta say that the Lunada is hard core though.  Bought that on an Ebay auction years ago.  It was advertised as a Remora but was actually a Lundada.  Think it was $40 something used but in like-new shape.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Ok, I picked up a Maxpedition bag many years ago when they were first imported into the US by a guy in Palos Verdes. CA. It fit a niche and as David has commented, the line is way overpriced.

I include another few thoughts on bags and a survival plan. In the real world, your survival will require the cooperation of others - whether you call it "a circle", "a survival group" or "family". Those people are going to have to forage, carry things, stand guard duty. Many of those people will be completely unequipped to carry items or to wait in position for any period of time without eating and drinking.

I gave away old fashioned carry gear that didn't work. Like the British WW2 pack. I even gave away an Alice pack before I started doing modifications. I purchased hydration systems to retroactively fit bags/packs with inline filters.

I guess I have been lucky. When Goruck got started and prices were LOW, I purchased a pile with hydration units. It was my effort to find the modern equivalent of a mountain ski pack with hydration. Now the pricing rivals that of the old name brand mountain ski pack makers. I sent one Goruck and a retrofited Eagle Industries unit to my kid on the east coast.
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I agree they are a little pricy but I am a firm believer in buy quality, buy once. When one of the cheaper bags zipper breaks or get hung up and fails, it’s not worth the PIA of now not having a bag that won’t shut, my gear falls out of, etc.
I can and do overstuff them sometimes and they don’t even blink. Between me the family, we own 8 of them.
I’ve never had a seam,zipper or anything fail on a max P. I can’t say the same about the duffle bag from cabellas. Junk.
Hey, it’s nice to have choices though. God bless the USA where we can actually look at dozens of different products.
I like the look of the Vanquest line that skinny medic is selling.
I have the mini and micro pocket organizer and really like them.  This is where the zipper really shines.  I have some knock off versions and the zippers just aren't up to snuff like the Maxpedition versions.  Actually quite handy, especially if you have cargo pockets.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.