Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Squirrel Defense Gun
Just picked up a slightly used, LNIB Ruger SR22 pistol from a local guy. It came with 4 extra mags (5 total)  and extra threaded barrel. Got it for a good price.

This is my second one, my wife claimed the first as her HD gun when I'm gone. It is a fun little gun to plink with and makes a dandy trail gun for defense against squirrels.

I wanted a second one as a suppressor host to play with and couldn't pass it up particularly since new ones are about $100 more than they are worth IMO.
My wife's first gun that she purchased on her own was a Ruger SR22 that is purple. I was proud of her when she bought that. Since then she has greatly increased her collection.

With that, my daughter likes shooting it now.
And now, pics

Swapped the barrel out on it and threw on a cut down AR15 flash hider. I have a friend who cuts them down and then threads them to use as muzzle protectors on 22 rifles (and now pistols). They are kinda cool looking.

[Image: nzW1tjN.jpg]

Or I could look uber cool with a competition AR compensator. Only adds about half a pound to the pistol.

[Image: gNpQwxq.jpg]

Kind of funny that I just saw another one for sale on our local gun forum just now. It has a threaded barrel and 3 extra (4 total) mags for $300. That's what I paid for mine but with 5 mags. Since mags are typically $25/ea and the threaded barrel is minimally $105 plus shipping and the cheapest I've seen the basic SR22 new is $279 plus shipping and transfer fee, it seems like a good deal. I personally think the SR22 is a $200 gun but I've never seen one used or otherwise that cheap.
Update....

Soon after buying the new/old SR22 I tried to shoot it. It constantly jammed, double stacked, FTE. In fact it wouldn't even fire on single action. I had to double action (double strike it) multiple times to get it to fire. This is with the original factory barrel. Frustrated and not having times to shoot it more I set it aside. I found out why the guy sold it as that price.

On another forum someone posted that their new SR22 wouldn't fire and it often took multiple re-strikes to get it to go off. They contacted Ruger who sent them a shipping label to return it. When they got it back it worked fine.

It worked for them so I thought I would give it a try. I called customer service who pointed out that my pistol was old (circa 2013, first year of production) but that they would take a look at it. They emailed me a shipping label so I sent it back.

Just over a week later it was returned. The note with it said they replaced the barrel, slide, trigger, trigger spring, take down lever. recoil assembly, right side safety lever and fired it 30 times with no malfunctions. Basically they rebuilt the gun.

I took it to the basement, loaded 5 mags with 5 different loads and shot it into my 22 bullet trap. It fired every time without a malfunction. Kudos to Ruger for repairing that gun without any cost to me.

BTW, I swapped out the new factory barrel for the threaded aftermarket one. It wouldn't feed more than two rounds. Oh well, at least the factory barrel works.

The threaded barrel does work in my other SR22 however.
Nice to hear about good customer service.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Squirrel Defense Part II mac66 8 102 09-19-2018, 08:17 PM
Last Post: mac66