Poll: Bullet type?
Hollow point
Full metal jacket
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In the Wilds: HP or FMJ?
(02-13-2018, 09:30 PM)Tsquare Wrote: Somehow, I missed that this thread was a poll. I vote "none of the above".

When I am in the woods I usually have my 44 Magnum. If I am hunting the 44 is a backup. I not a fan of FMJ or JHP on critters. A jacketed soft point or a wad-cutter would be a better choice for putting down a 600 lb boar or a gator.

In reality the other choices should have JSPs or cast/lead.  So I'm with you there.
(02-13-2018, 12:13 PM)bmyers Wrote: Considering two legged threat is the greatest danger followed by wild dogs, my HST 147gr will do just fine.

If I was going into the woods where larger animals might be the threat, I would look at some of these (or a product like it) https://www.lehighdefense.com/pages/xtreme-penetrator

Well - all depends on the woods you are in, doesn't it?

Yes, we have two legged threats, and dogs.  But we also have Black Bear, rather large Alligators, and some very very nasty pigs.  So I'm thinking that 147g HST is not my first choice.  Your mileage may vary - considerably!

Short of that 44mag (Which I maintain is just fine with an FMJ....)
(02-16-2018, 03:40 AM)Bob Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 12:13 PM)bmyers Wrote: Considering two legged threat is the greatest danger followed by wild dogs, my HST 147gr will do just fine.

If I was going into the woods where larger animals might be the threat, I would look at some of these (or a product like it) https://www.lehighdefense.com/pages/xtreme-penetrator

Yes, we have two legged threats, and dogs.  But we also have Black Bear, rather large Alligators, and some very very nasty pigs.  So I'm thinking that 147g HST is not my first choice.  Your mileage may vary - considerably!

You are correct, but since the original question was "If you're out in nature what caliber do you prefer and what type of bullet?", we don't have bears, we don't have alligators, and we do have pigs, but at this point besides tearing up property, we have had no one attacked by pigs, they scatter. If I'm in Africa in the wild, my choice is different than southern Illinois, so my answer still stands since I'm not planning on going to Africa or outside of the midwest in anytime in the near future. If I ever do take a trip where four legged animals are bigger threat, then consideration will have to be given to what weapon and ammo to use outside of my normal gear. My assumption is that someone in Alaska is going to have a different answer then myself due to the nature of the threat. Yet, a 44 mag for this area wouldn't be necessary since large threats aren't a problem, two legged ones are the problem.
(02-16-2018, 03:40 AM)Bob Wrote:

Nope, a jacketed soft point will cause more damage with 44 mag. A wadcutter is close behind that.
Years ago, I was at the local club when Alan Egusa showed up to practice. 5th degree black belt in San Soo, retired national level firearms instructor. He had his Glock 23 and was shooting plain white box ammo. He and Kent Turnipseed had taught me how to shoot accurately (loading and unloading as well) when running/walking/rolling on the ground with handgun/rifle/870 shotgun.

I asked him what he thought the best ammo was and why he was shooting white box ammo. His response was logical and if I had thought it through, I would never have gone into the debates about the best ammo or bought reloading equipment. He said, paraphrasing: 1. he shot well enough to shoot very small targets repeatedly; 2. white box went bang every time; 3. he didn't have a garage loaded with reloading equipment/empty brass; 4. he kept clean and focused on practice.

Related thoughts. In all the time I shot US military factory ammo, I had only one failure to fire. Conversely, (my reloads or other people's reloads), they failed periodically and unacceptably. One summer, a friend reloaded 12 ga for me. I shot some 5,000 rounds through an 870, mostly running. I was practicing failure drills.
I would think that the 410/45lc single shot pistol would cover just about anything you'd cross here including bad guys...
A hollow point projectile would work decently on most animals here, we don't have any that are real thick skinned or fury that are real threats here.
I have crossed rattle snakes here but a .22 with rat shot will dispatch those efficiently.
Ok, I'm heading out into the wilds of Florida and I'm going to stoke the Glock 22 with 180 hollow points since it's ahead in the poll.  But if I get mauled by a polar bear because they didn't have enough penetration it's on you folks!
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
If you get mauled to death by a polar bear, I will change my vote and start carrying a bigger gun, because if they have made it to Florida, they could be here.
Good video from Paul.

Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Dav, if you get mauled by a polar bear here in Florida, then I'm heading South towards a warmer AO. Nuf said.  Tongue