Poll: Bullet type?
Hollow point
Full metal jacket
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In the Wilds: HP or FMJ?

In the woods I tend to carry FMJ for the penetration.  Typically for me is a 147 9mm or now that I'm back into .40 the 180 grain.  Typical threats in Florida would run gator, Panther, rabid critter or rarely a black bear.  Having an issue with any is rare of course, just naming possibles.  

If you're out in nature what caliber do you prefer and what type of bullet?
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Man, that's a tough question so I'm going to hedge and say both because it sort of depends.

I think the biggest threat is still man so I usually carry HPs, which also work on anything up to bears. If I see bears then I will switch to solids, usually hardcast in my revolvers, FMJ in semis.

I do admit that I have bears on my hunting property and rarely switch out my loads to solids. I usually have a slug loaded shotgun in my truck or ATV when I'm back working in the woods. So it's never been and issue.

When in Alaska I carried hard cast bear loads. When backpacking in other places I usually carried HPs with FMJs as backup.
10mm Glock 20;

EDC is 175 Win Silvertips.... older boxes were a bit hotter( still have some ) but allow a good sec or third shot ( not to many bear in NY where I live Wink )

In woods carry in VA where wife and I do a lot of hiking the carry is 200gr XTP loaded on the hot side ( about 1200fps with #9 )
We've run into black bears about 5x

It's easy to carry a few mags with either or
Unless it's a small caliber gun, I always go with hollow points.
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
Not many dangerous animals around here. Biggest 4leg threat is probably a rabid dog. I'm fine with the same rounds I use for EDC.
If I was in bear country I'd be packing a different gun and skip right over fmj to hardcast.
I have a 250gr jacketed soft point that runs just under 1300 fps
[Image: jsp-300x300.jpg]
FMJ - Penetration rules for wild life

A FMJ will take care of any two-legged problems nearly as well as a hollow point. There are a number of four legged issued though where a hollow point might/might not be the best choice.

(02-12-2018, 01:56 PM)Tom Mac Wrote: 10mm Glock 20;

Nuclear tipped was not an option.... Big Grin
Considering two legged threat is the greatest danger followed by wild dogs, my HST 147gr will do just fine.

If I was going into the woods where larger animals might be the threat, I would look at some of these (or a product like it) https://www.lehighdefense.com/pages/xtreme-penetrator
So far it's HP- 4 and FMJ - 2.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Somehow, I missed that this thread was a poll. I vote "none of the above".

When I am in the woods I usually have my 44 Magnum. If I am hunting the 44 is a backup. I not a fan of FMJ or JHP on critters. A jacketed soft point or a wad-cutter would be a better choice for putting down a 600 lb boar or a gator.