Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The importance of a good flashlight
I was on the way home from my third 12-hour shift tonight.  Raining and dark on the causeway which is a 9-mile stretch over Tampa Bay including a small bridge.  Came up on a four car accident; two in the left hand lane and two on the right shoulder.  Parked my (wife's) van on the right shoulder and turned on the emergency flashers.  Checked everyone's welfare and just minor injuries.  Out came the Convoy S2+ which is what I carry on my duty belt.  Put it on strobe and started directing traffic in the rain until F.D. arrived on scene.  The strobe function was highly useful as it alerted oncoming traffic at a distance to slow down which is a good thing as folks fly over the causeway even in the rain.  Some folks are idiots.  So strobe got their attention at a far enough distance that they could slow down and then follow my hand signals to merge to the right lane and proceed slowly.  

This reinforced how important the blinky functions can be on a flashlight.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Despite your blinky malfunctioning light, you are an awesome samaritan Dave...

I would have given you a plus 2 rating but I don't know how.

Smile
(02-05-2018, 04:32 PM)Gene Wrote: Despite your blinky malfunctioning light, you are an awesome samaritan Dave...

I would have given you a plus 2 rating but I don't know how.

Smile

Just happened to be in the right place at the right time.  It's happened on many occasions.  Heck, I've directed traffic on the hump on the Howard Franklin bridge!  

Not that anyone has to rate me, but just so you know how to rate anyone else, at the bottom of anyone's post you'll see a tab marked 'rate'.  That's what you click and then a window pops up where you can add, or subtract from their 'reputation' and even add a comment.

To me this just really hits home having various blinky functions on your EDC light.  That Convoy S2+ has L,M,H, strobe and SOS.  My personal EDC is the Nitecore EA11 which has 5 light levels, SOS, strobe and beacon (which I like a lot) plus red, blue and red/blue strobe.  I don't think the red/blue strobe is going to be visible all that far away but the regular strobe will definitely be visible at a good long distance.  

Blinky functions are the bomb!

I seen on the news that they caught a picture of Dave out directing traffic at the car wreck

[Image: A3AgAQACMAARZ5T.jpg]
I did say I was in uniform... Big Grin

Ok.  Two examples.

I carry a flashlight.  Vacation in rural Miss.  Dance studio.  Late at night.  Thunderstorm.  Lights out.  Only person to have a flashlight.  Carry it in my dance shoe bags along with a folder and leatherman as well as water.

Southwest Airlines flight.  Problem with the plane's interior.  Mechanic comes on board.  I have a flashlight and assist him.

I do have a flashlight in every room.  Check them every few months as we have earthquakes from time to time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Your EDC flashlight David 28 5,624 12-09-2017, 11:02 AM
Last Post: bmyers
Video Survival flashlight David 2 1,579 07-28-2015, 02:48 AM
Last Post: David