Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Who belongs to a group in real life?
(01-27-2018, 03:30 AM)mac66 Wrote: There are some companies/businesses (B-CERT) and high schools that have CERT as well. I started 3 CERT teams at the college where I ran the public safety department (and emergency management) One for employees, one for college students and one for a charter high school we had on our campus. I was in the first CERT instructor class in the state. We also interacted and co-trained with two cities where we had campuses and with the country teams. I obviously thought it was a good program. but apparently I was the only one who thought so. All three fell apart when I retired.

Sadly, many programs like that do fall apart when leaders leave. Most don't have the driving passion that the leader has when the program is developed.
This will need to be a topic of conversation at the SEP gathering on the 24th.  Distance between the members would be an issue to discuss but it's worth having some ideas tossed around while at the campfire.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Thank you MAC66 for relating your experience. My mentor reported the same results from his group that organized in the 1960s Cuban crisis.

You learned, MAC 66, it took your leadership to keep the groups together.

Leadership is rare. It also appears to be cultivated or learned. I knew of Major Winters way before there was any Hollywood publicity given to his life. Similarly, I knew about the Bielski brothers before the movie was made. You read their stories and you understand how and why the groups were as successful as they were.

How did I know about Winters? I had read about a company commander who saved with cold water every day even during the battle of the bulge. I didn't know his name.

MAC66: Your willingness to teach and share kept the groups together. It meant that you were proactive.

I was in Red China. The English speaking minder said he was frustrated because when the bus would stop, Americans would go all over the place without apparent organization and then show up again. I commented that there was a leader and when it was necessary, he would reveal himself. Every American knew who it was. Fast forward. I am in a crowd at Beijing Airport. Two members of the group rush up (lacking skills) and ask me to revive a member who collapsed outside. There are no emergency emt services there. I go outside. I direct multiple people to get a taxi. I assign people to watch the luggage. Then, a Los Angeles County EMT, his girl friend and I go to work on the guy. 7 minutes without breathing. We revive him and send him and his wife to the hospital.

Now, for the part that never would be told. The three of us had never met before the tour. We had agreed to bug out as a group of three if shtf.

You have to make yourself into a person who will take charge, without ego.
(02-11-2018, 02:06 PM)David Wrote: This will need to be a topic of conversation at the SEP gathering on the 24th.  Distance between the members would be an issue to discuss but it's worth having some ideas tossed around while at the campfire.

One of the challenges in this 'group' is that they are geographically pretty spread out around the greater Austin area.  We've talked about radios and ham radio, but there are only a few people that actually seem motivated to do anything about it.

Having said that, I am giving a presentation on radios for them next week, and if I can get a fire under a handful of people, it would be really fun and great practice to actually do some real world testing to try to talk across cities and towns and such and see how gear works in the real world.

I know you may have some distance, but if you can get some people motivated on Ham stuff, it would be cool to try to get a HF net going on 10m or something like that
I think one of the challenges of having an informal group is group dynamics itself. Everybody has their own reasons for becoming involved and participating. Particularly in informal groups there is always an issue of who's in charge and why and how they got in charge. Eventually personalities, egos and other personal issues get in the way. Friendships and then cliches form, feelings get hurt, people leave.

Sometimes people just don't want to get outside their comfort zones.

Several guys in our group were really good at teaching wilderness stuff and some really good with guns but wanted nothing to do with radios communications. Their status in the group was based on their abilities to teach what they knew. They didn't want to put themselves in a position of not knowing more about something than someone else. Their egos wouldn't allow it.
Unstuck,trying to keep the board tidy.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.