Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Who belongs to a group in real life?
I took a CERT (Citizen Emergency Response Team) course and have become more involved. I would recommend a CERT course to anyone. It is a FEMA program but there is much to be learned. If your location has a good CERT program, from there one will be encouraged to get their HAM certification, first aid etc.

I am not part of a prepper or bug out group but am slowly networking via CERT. I have noticed that Mormons and people whose eyes are open tend to want to get involved. I know many preppers/survivalist that keep to themselves but in my opinion, no one can survive SHTF by themselves. I think it is wise to be involved in community emergency services.  Being in the know is a good thing IMO.
Quote:
"And lets be honest - this subject attracts some of the more - shall we say - extreme personalities."

Extreme huh? And here I thought I was just a little overly enthused... But this perception is subjective, it is a wide range from self reliant/eyes-open to kook/ wack-job or far left to far right and so on. It all depends on how long a person has been thinking about a subject as to how off it seems to them. The guy who is wearing his cool combat boots/ camo pants/ kaki t-shirt might look like a kook to the little girl whom just served him his choice of beverage at the starbucks he just patronized on his way out to go camping all weekend.

Just a thought on perception and where people are in there prep-ness, that's all... Love you Bob

Not to derail a nice thread, I do go camping with a small group just north of Tampa once in a while... Nice people but our schedules keep us from getting to know each other, always seems like I'm showing up just as they are leaving.

I've recently joined a Meet-up group local to me, very small group of nice people with good intent. They seem disappointed they are not bigger in size than they are, as mentioned before, people seem to have better things to do than show up for the meetings.
It seems their will have to be a need before people take anything serious.

Spent to much money recently, so Gun Fighter school is out but I am looking forward to First Aid training this year and I am going to look into a local CERT training as Motomom mentioned. Maybe defensive firearm training later in the year.
You know - I think Dave said it well (if I remember) Mutual support is perhaps the best expectation. Joining a formal group is a whole other deal. Very small things can change loyalty quite a bit. I don't mean that in a bad way either. For example, Dave has Dave's Farm & Homestead going on. He has a much more vested interest than me in staying, whereas I have a daughter in Tallahassee. That's going to influence my decisions a lot.

Motomom/Gene - CERT training is very cool stuff. Great training, great integration with local first responders. (I'm actually FEMA certified up to the ICS 800 level...?!?!?!?! How did that happen!!!!). Even cooler if you can find a couple of people in your communicty to do it. Way easy sell to neighbors vs Doomsday prepare stuff.

And yes Gene - there is the relative perception. And then there are relative differences. And then there are nut jobs! Don't even say you have not run into any!!!! And everybody is nutty about something. I think you are all gonna be sorry you don't know more about Crypto. Dave on the other hand laughs because my crypto isn't stored in a Faraday box....still most everyone we know is pretty sensible about most things.
I would encourage anyone to get the CERT training. My wife and I both have it. I have taken additional certification training as part of the ESDA position I hold with the Village.

The CERT training gets people thinking about things they believe will be handled by others. In reality, there are very limited resources and your house, is not on the top of any list.
Can you tell us more about CERT? I've looked into it a bit and though I live in a large city, didn't find much
Ok folks,I stuck this thread.I'm suprised Dave didn't,I'd suggest op/sec while talking about groups on an open board.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
(01-24-2018, 01:13 AM)ric0123 Wrote: Can you tell us more about CERT? I've looked into it a bit and though I live in a large city, didn't find much

https://www.ready.gov/community-emergency-response-team

The above link is to the national level, that gives you a good overview and then directs you to the local level.

I will speak on it from our area, which each area the CERT group functions a little differently because the needs are different.

First, our county (Madison) offers the training to residents throughout the year. The cost is covered by the Madison County Emergency Management Agency. The course provides the books and the training equipment which when you pass the course you will get all your training equipment (hard hat, vest, back pack, water bottle, first aid kit, water/gas turn off tool, flashlight, gloves, glow sticks, emergency blanket, respirator mask, and some other stuff). The important part is that you will know how to use all the stuff. The class starts with getting an understanding of what a disaster is and what types might occur in your area. Then you start in on hands on training. You will do live fire extinguisher training, first aid treatments, mobilization skills, triage, scene assessment, turning off power, gas, and water, learning the commend structure and how to use the forms provided. The class ends with a large scale hands on drill. Our classes also include a trip to Madison County EMA command center and resource facility, where you get to see what equipment we have available to the communities in the county. Once you pass the class you can sign up to officially join the Madison County CERT team, which gets you covered under workers comp if you are injured on a call out. 

You then have the ability to volunteer to be trained to run the sand bagging machines, licensed to drive the trucks and commend center, setup the communication trailers, and be trained on the other equipment we have. There are training drills throughout the year and a quarterly meeting. They ask that you make one a year just so you can stay up-to-date with any changes. 

The ESDA coordinators for the various municipalities get together once a quarter. We meet at the commend center and discuss local items and state, along with any national changes. In addition, we work on coordinating training events so we don't duplicate efforts. 

I new item that we are rolling out this year is a resource vehicle that allows equipment to be brought to a scene to assist with overall of the responders at the scene. It will have a tent that can be setup to provide air conditioning or heating along with chairs, lighting, etc. 

So, depending on how active you want to be, at least in our county, you can just be available if there is an incident, a lot of the members participate in the different community drills as victims, or you can get very active and take on leadership roles.  

Hopefully, that gives you a brief overview.
Also not all departments have them. But there should be one near enough if you look.
I know that my city has CERT. I looked into it a little bit but wasn't really able to get anywhere with it
There are some companies/businesses (B-CERT) and high schools that have CERT as well. I started 3 CERT teams at the college where I ran the public safety department (and emergency management) One for employees, one for college students and one for a charter high school we had on our campus. I was in the first CERT instructor class in the state. We also interacted and co-trained with two cities where we had campuses and with the country teams. I obviously thought it was a good program. but apparently I was the only one who thought so. All three fell apart when I retired.