Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Who belongs to a group in real life?
Who out there is involved in a group in real life? I've recently gotten connected with and involved with a local prepper group. Just wondering what other's experiences are
I've talked to several people on the survival boards and other prepper sites and everyone talks highly in favor but nobody wants to take the time to do anything. IMO, if/when the crap hits the fan, people are going to look out for themselves before they start helping others. Even if you're in a group.
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
I don't disagree that people are going to look out for themselves. What draws me to being in a group is A: i love to teach, it makes you better and B: it's really hard to practice communication without having someone to talk to c: it's nice to have someone to bounce ideas off of.

My involvement is very early stage. Right now I'm trying to educate all these people on communication stuff. Everyone owns a Baofang radio but no one actually knows how to use them. I also hung out with some of them at the gun range and got to practice some fun and interesting drills.

I am curious/hesitant to see how involved everyone actually is going to be.
No, wish I was, but no. A few of us have gotten together a couple of times, but nothing really developed from the meetings.
I will save you some time with the positives and negatives.

Positives.  Before the advent of the internet, I set a goal of two paid survival  classes a month and was happy to find and do one.  In doing this, I found very few people were interested.  It would be some of the same people, over and over.  So, I made friends of like minded people, learning their strengths and weaknesses.  In taking this approach I also learned my strengths and weaknesses.

I also learned that only certain people were capable of coming together as a group and surviving.  One day, my late wife and I got up before dawn in Mashaad, Iran (spelling).  We had to find a bus to take us to the Afghan border, then cross about 6 miles of no man's land without a bus, then find transportation to take us to Herat, Afghanistan before dark (the western most town in Afghanistan).  Otherwise, there would be bandits.  We arrived at the border.  We grouped with another set of people with the same backgrounds.  What characterized the group was that everyone was a world traveler/survivor.  This means being on the road and dealing with different language and customs and people.  Our head was quickly chosen.  He had been on the road for three years with his girlfriend.  We spoke about 25 languages in the group.  People were designated as foreagers/security/negotiator/fighting security.  We made it.  The other people who did not understand cooperation in a group were dumped outside Herat in the dark.

Negatives.  My mentor was a paratrooper and was founder of a survivalist group during the Cuban Missile Crisis.  Everyone was together and on the same page for a few weeks.  Then, the "honey dos", visiting the relatives, and the football game interrupted survivalist training programs.  The interest dwindled because the necessity wasn't there.  And the group broke up with hard feelings.

It will take time for you, but the love of teaching will cause a group to form around you.  I explain.  A good instructor learns to perfect his skills -visual/auditory/kinesthetic- in communicating with his students.  As he develops those skills, he is training himself to be a leader.  Read the book and skip the movie about the Bielski group in WW2.  It explains group dynamics in a survival situation so that unprepared people can cooperate.
I'm already starting to see a very limited number of people of who I call 'serious' involved. There's also an increase in political chatter, which I really can't stand. So, we shall see
A group of firearms instructors who I taught with formed a loose group of like minded people. We compared notes, did some training, helped each other make improvements and learn new skills. Medical issues, family issues, issues between individuals in the group and eventually group dynamics put an end to it. I still talk to and have lunch with a couple of them once in awhile but it's hard to stay in touch.

As Bob said, once the necessity isn't there interest dwindles.
A number of us here meet up quite a bit. I don't know that it makes us a "group"

Like minded is pretty easy as long as you keep it to a singular or simple topic. But in the global sense....not so easy.

And lets be honest - this subject attracts some of the more - shall we say - extreme personalities.
NY is a whole diff world ( on Long Island ).... can't leave if anything really goes south.
There are very few that i would sit down with and drink coffee while talking about survival.
Most here want to ban guns , not get more ! Smile
They think prepping is buying extra happy meals.

(Wish i was in VA on our property drinking some J Beam and playing my dulcimer ( moma prob will never move due to grandkids here ))
(01-22-2018, 02:20 AM)Bob Wrote: A number of us here meet up quite a bit.  I don't know that it makes us a "group"

Like minded is pretty easy as long as you keep it to a singular or simple topic.  But in the global sense....not so easy.

And lets be honest - this subject attracts some of the more - shall we say - extreme personalities.

+1 on what Bob said.

A few of us are in the same A.O. and have become good friends.  And we have gotten together for the SEP gatherings, lunch and the range (and we're overdue for all three by the way)  Wink

I have no difficulty believing that each of us would fully cooperate and assist any of the others if/when needed.  The only difficulty would be in actually being close enough to actually do so in a more serious situation.  Scout is about 30 minutes from me and in a heavily populated urban area that may not be easy to get into.  Bob is the closest and we're probably less than 15 minutes away from each other.  Shane has moved and is probably 30 minutes away in the opposite direction but more rural.

We have cell and net communication with each other but of course that may very well be gone in a real emergency.  May be time for us to discuss alternate communication methods.  Otherwise were like-minded but isolated in any serious situation.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.