Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dangerous down there in Florida
One South Florida man is thankful to still be alive after losing a boxing match with a bear just steps outside his home.

Andy Meunier was letting his dog out from his Naples, Florida, home on Tuesday night when he turned just in time to see a bear staring him down from feet away.

"Everything went in slow motion. It was just as scary as you can imagine," Meunier told ABC affiliate WZVN. "It was standing in front of me and I tried to turn left real quick and get back in the house, and caught an uppercut from a brown, or a black, bear."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/florida-man-happy-alive-bear-attack-leaves-41/story?id=52276390

Are you prepared for a bear attack in your backyard?
Pftttt  Sleepy

Bears are not an issue in Florida.  Now gators on the other hand....

Lake directly across the street has a gator in it.  And just a few years ago they pulled out two 7-footers and a 12-footer.  The 12-footer was about a half-ton.  

The one in this video is about 45 minutes away from my house.

When I go canoeing there are gators all over the banks.  I've rowed passed them at maybe 10 feet or so.  No big deal unless it's mating season and you're near a nest.  Then it's a BIG issue.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.

No thank you. At least we don't have anything around here that can eat you. Ok, well we do have pigs and they will eat you, but they don't look like man eating dinosaurs.
I have black bears on my property, at least 4 that I'm aware of. A mama, two cubs and a large male that I've seen on my trail cameras. I also have bobcats, foxes, coyotes, beavers, ermines, turkeys, squirrel , rabbits, grouse, muskrats, ducks, geese, bats, woodchucks, deer and heaven knows what else.
There are a lot of dangerous animals out there. When I lived in south GA I ran in to a bobcat that was about 35 pounds. It was by far the largest bobcat I have ever seen by at least 10 pounds. It came up behind me when I was turkey hunting and it scared the fool out of me.
When going out of home, always armed... even in NY. More of a 2 legged threat here.
( tho esp when on my property in Va where I see alot more black bears. )
I have Bush Gardens about 15 minutes from the house.  During one trip there I was watching the keepers at the gator exhibit.  They were right there in and around the gators.  I'm talking within 6 feet of them and these were large gators of 12+ feet long.  All they had was a pole like the type of wooden closet dowel.  I asked them about it and they said because of the vision of gators, all they had to do was put the pole between themselves and an approaching gator.  The gator would see the pole as a wall that it had to go around rather than through.  It must work because they were literally feet away from several dozen LARGE gators while they were talking with the visitors.

Here you go

https://youtu.be/OnqlQO36tKg
My friends Mr. Mossberg and Mr Remington agree - it is dangerous for bears around my house...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Big Florida Shooting Event Ronin.45 4 572 11-13-2017, 01:23 AM
Last Post: Ronin.45