Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Working on my 2018 goal
I set my 2018 goal to find new water sources in my area. I just completed a search with Google earth and I did find to ponds i wasn't aware of within 2 mile radius of my house. That brings the total of 15 ponds/small lakes (I guess most by definition would be considered lakes because sunlight can't reach the bottom to allow growth). That doesn't include streams/creeks, nor does it include some of the neighborhood/business retention ponds. Four of these are on public property the rest of these are on private property.

When I expand the area to 5.5 miles, the amount available water sources explodes. There are 18 sources on public property and I stopped counting after 20 on private property. Along with this, the Mississippi River falls into this range and that is a fairly large public water source. In addition we have several creeks that feed into the Mississippi that falls into this range, plus multiple streams.  

You add on to the fact I know where 5 wells are in this area, I think I have the water supply issue taken care of. We currently have the ability to haul 5 gallons of water on each of our bikes and if we walk instead of ride and take the wagons we can haul 20 gallons of water in each cart (carts are rated for 160lbs, so might be slightly less).

So, I think when I add the rain catch system, we should be good. We average about 3 inches of rain a month. Based on that number and our roof size for the house without the garage included, it would be around 1,800 gallons a month.

To calculate the runoff from any given rainfall:
  • Take the dimensions of the footprint of your roof and convert them to inches. (So, a 50' x 20' roof is 600" x 240".)

• Multiply the roof dimensions by the number of inches of rainfall. (In this example, 600" x 240" x 1" = 144,000 cubic inches of water.)

• Divide by 231 to get the number of gallons (because 1 gallon = 231 cubic inches). (144,000/231 = 623.38).