Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gardening 2018
I have my place in western NC rented out so I am working a patio garden this year. I am going to miss the Silver Queen corn.

Tomato plants are looking good as well as the mint, cilantro, and basil. I just transplanted some jalapeño, cucumber, yellow squash, and a butternut squash. The butternut I started in February with seeds from where I cleaned the seads out a store bought squash, I only had 2 plants survive out of 10 seed.

A new addition this year is celery. This is actually a store bought stalk that I had used all of the stalks and trimmed the root stump and put it in a bowl of water for about a month. It sprouted roots and a leafy stalk. When the stalk was about 3" tall I transplanted it into the garden. I have another stalk in the fridge that will get this treatment in about a week.

I have a red new potato in a 1 gallon pot and I am going to do a variation of a potato box. I need to finish the potato cage. I have some hardware cloth that I am going to stuff with Coastal Bermuda Hay only allowing about 6-10" of vine exposed until it get to the top of the 2.5' cage. I did this with Idaho potatoes in a 3'x3'x3' box year before last and I had more potatoes than we needed. The issue is that termites got into the wood near the end of the summer.
At the beginning of March, I planted 6 cherry tomato plants in 5 gallon buckets.  All have flowers.  I saw the first green tomato today.  I planted cheromoya seeds the same day.    I have no idea how long it takes to sprout.  I do know that the fruit sells for $8 a pound at Ralph's grocery and it is the most delicious fruit in the world with one 30 year old tree still producing.  I also planted a rare, legal (banned from importation, but they were in this country before the ban) French Mirabelle plum which now has leaves sprouting.  My tree seeds have not yet germinated.  The tangerines and the two different lemons are over for the season.  I also learned this season that squirrels do eat tangerines.
I will have tomatoes in the next few weeks.
Yep, mine are just starting to turn red so it will be soon.  Can't wait!   Smile

Kale has been going gang-busters which has made some great smoothies.  And we've been getting almost daily rain for about a week or so and the garden is loving it.  This is the time of year we start getting into that sort of pattern which is nice.  It's raining as I type this which means I don't have to go out and water anything.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Not much of a garden this year... rabbits got me good last year till I trimmed the herd a bit , moles are killing my roots this year.
Only thing really going well is the herbs in pots ( about 10 ).

"A new addition this year is celery. This is actually a store bought stalk that I had used all of the stalks and trimmed the root stump and put it in a bowl of water for about a month. It sprouted roots and a leafy stalk. When the stalk was about 3" tall I transplanted it into the garden."

Love celery and cannellini bean soup... but never had much luck growing
Everything is growing well. Only the jalapeños are producing. My mint plant from last year is returning!
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
I have had tomatoes for just over a week and I picked my first jalapeño two days ago. The jalapeño was bland with no heat at all, disappointing. I have 3 more jalapeños that are the correct size but I am going to let them turn color before I pick any of them so they may have some heat. The squash and cucumbers are doing well but it will be a few weeks before any are ready. All of the herbs are doing well except a hard thunderstorm flattened my cilantro yesterday - it will come back.

The potato plant got eaten by bugs. By the time I realized what was going on it was too late. It is still early enough to start another one.
Has anyone messed around with aquaponics or Hydroponics?
To water intensive,in a gulf coast state maybe.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
(06-11-2018, 11:00 PM)ric0123 Wrote: Has anyone messed around with aquaponics or Hydroponics?

http://sepboard.us/showthread.php?tid=611

It's a great system if you have the time, space and money for it. In a sense, you could easily become self sufficient in some cases.
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Winter Gardening JRSC 5 1,611 05-07-2018, 01:11 PM
Last Post: JRSC
  Raised bed Gardening ric0123 6 3,024 01-22-2018, 12:20 AM
Last Post: bdcochran