Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gardening 2018
I have my place in western NC rented out so I am working a patio garden this year. I am going to miss the Silver Queen corn.

Tomato plants are looking good as well as the mint, cilantro, and basil. I just transplanted some jalapeño, cucumber, yellow squash, and a butternut squash. The butternut I started in February with seeds from where I cleaned the seads out a store bought squash, I only had 2 plants survive out of 10 seed.

A new addition this year is celery. This is actually a store bought stalk that I had used all of the stalks and trimmed the root stump and put it in a bowl of water for about a month. It sprouted roots and a leafy stalk. When the stalk was about 3" tall I transplanted it into the garden. I have another stalk in the fridge that will get this treatment in about a week.

I have a red new potato in a 1 gallon pot and I am going to do a variation of a potato box. I need to finish the potato cage. I have some hardware cloth that I am going to stuff with Coastal Bermuda Hay only allowing about 6-10" of vine exposed until it get to the top of the 2.5' cage. I did this with Idaho potatoes in a 3'x3'x3' box year before last and I had more potatoes than we needed. The issue is that termites got into the wood near the end of the summer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Raised bed Gardening ric0123 6 2,603 01-22-2018, 12:20 AM
Last Post: bdcochran
  Winter Gardening JRSC 4 1,101 09-03-2017, 03:58 AM
Last Post: burnsoft