Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gardening 2018
I have one of my hot jalapeño peppers still producing in my basement under a set of grow lights. I bring in my wife's potted plants for the winter and have a jury rigged grow house in the basement.

I have an assortment of squash, tomato, and pickling cucumbers I plan to start in about 3 weeks. I will start another batch mid March. I will transplant these late March or early April.
Replaced a dwarf orange not making it with a Haas avocado. Getting the pots/soil today for the spring seeding.
I love Santa Rosa plumbs. Had two of them planted in 1988. Way past producing. One was taken out last year. The other is on its last legs. So, I ordered seeds for replacements, but not the same. Work with the seeds when they come in and the replacement trees will be ready in about 4 years. The problem with fruit trees is twofold: 1. the root structure lives on for years; 2. you (or a hired hand) have to dig out enough of the root structure to plant a different tree.
I'm about to start growing some spaghetti squash. I have a ziplock bag about half full of seeds. I have some styrofoam coffee cups and an old baking pan I'll set the cups down in. I'm excited to try something new this season. Getting a little impatient for spring to get here so I can get things rolling in the garden.
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
I was going to get out this weekend and start prepping the garden but it didn't work out.  Hopefully soon though.  Looking forward to planting more tomatoes and kale!
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
We had a spring(ish) day today. Makes me chomp at the bit to get outside!

The spaghetti squash are in their cups. Now 10-14 days until germination. Excited to see how well this will work.
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
We prepped the earth beds last weekend.  The plan is to go to a new place today that is suppose to offer a wide variety of plants that are inexpensive.  Hoping to find all that we're looking for...

(03-14-2018, 01:47 PM)David Wrote: We prepped the earth beds last weekend.  The plan is to go to a new place today that is suppose to offer a wide variety of plants that are inexpensive.  Hoping to find all that we're looking for...

Planted 6 cherry tomato plants in large plastic pots.

Ordered a mirabelle plum tree. Don't know when it is coming in. I have a spot for it. However, I will not take it out and plant it for another couple of years. Need to have the ground worked on a hillside.

If I remember tomorrow, I will check the seeds I have been trying to sprout in the refrigerator for the last two months. The seeds require a cold spell of that duration if they are to germinate. Fingers are crossed. Large pots with potting soil waiting.

I ate the last of the Washington Navel oranges - first year of production. I will pick the last of the tangerines over this weekend - very sweet now. The lemons are playing out - gave away a few hundred this year.
Over the last couple of days off we got a great start on this years garden.  Kale, various types of lettuce, various tomatoes, bok choy and various herbs so far.  Lot of work to get the garden back in shape but worth it.  Have another couple of earth boxes to go as well as raising from seeds.

Kale is hearty,my bro eats it every meal.We had a flip/flop winter,really cold to moderate.His kale produced thru it all.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Winter Gardening JRSC 5 1,898 05-07-2018, 01:11 PM
Last Post: JRSC
  Raised bed Gardening ric0123 6 3,241 01-22-2018, 12:20 AM
Last Post: bdcochran