Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glock releasing new guns
First, in full disclosure, I'm a Glock fan. Glocks are our family pistols of choice.

Glock is releasing a few new pistols at shot show. The one that interest me the most is the G26 in Gen 5. Other than that, I can't say the pistols at this point are really interesting. They are releasing the Glock 19X, which I don't care for the color and I don't know that I like the longer handle. I have the biggest issue with concealing the handle, not the slide. If I'm going to carry a full size grip, why wouldn't I carry a full size gun?

Maybe after I shot them I will feel differently. 

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/...-19x-gen5/
My partner at work is a full fledged Glock fan-boy.  We saw the Glock 19X all over YT yesterday and he started drooling all over the place.  Me?  Eh...  Rolleyes

As far as the Gen5 Glock 17/19, well you'd pretty much have to give me one.  I think Glock served up a steaming turd and the Glocktards lined up to ask for more.  Oh, it's a decent gun if you can get past the shoddy QC on the rear sights...which of course are cheap plastic.  It's fine if you don't care that they didn't bother to match up the bevel on the slide and frame and instead just stuck one on the other to rush them out.  It's great if you don't mind the mag well cutout on the front that a lot of folks, including my partner have/had to file/sand down a bit because it's so sharp on the top edge (should have put the cut outs on the side like Sig).  And as long as you don't mind most of it being non-interchangeable with previous generations of G19's...well, it's great.  Oh, and I really don't care about a flared mag well.  Never needed one before so don't suddenly feel like I'm going to miss the opening on a reload now.

So that's my opinion of the Gen5.  If I was given one then I'd have one.  But I wouldn't buy one.  

As far as the G19X.  Well the fanboys will eat this one up as well.  Why?  Well it's a different color of course.  Now to be fair, at least it comes with metal night sights.  That's a plus.  And the slide and frame match (which means they could have done it on the Gen5 as well but didn't).  So that's a plus.  The cut out is gone so that's a plus and proving you don't really need one or the flare which wasn't included so isn't really needed either.  I don't mind the color but certainly wouldn't pay extra for it.  The new barrel is fine I suppose.  The ambi stuff is of no interest.

I will be fair and say that neither has the finger grooves so that is one plus I will toss in their corner.

The Gen5 Glock 26.  Well, what's really different?  Okay, no single hump.  A different finish.  What else is there that would compel me to get one?  I suppose if I got another Gen3 I'd have to get a Gen5 just so I had every generation.  But that's all I can think of at the moment.

Yeah, I guess I'm a bit critical.  Blush

Now remember, I like Glock.  I'm not a fanboy but I'm a fan.  I've carried a Glock, almost exclusively for over 20 years.  I became an instructor on Glock. So I think I can legitimately be critical.  I think a Glock is over priced.  Blue label would be about the right price point.  But civilian prices are too much and the Glocktards that accept whatever Georgia pumps out are keeping the price high.  I don't think a gun in it's price range should have plastic sights or guide rods.  That's just my opinion.  

And it does seem that Glock is losing a tad bit of market share overall.  Good.  They need to get a little worried and start offering deals like everyone else.  Their price point needs to drop a tad in my opinion.  A BL G43 is $411 out the door.  That's fair.  A BL Glock in the larger sizes are less than $450 out the door.  That's fair considering a Glock costs less than $90 to make.  Anything beyond BL is them gouging the populace.  I take issue with that.

That's my semi-rant for this morning  Big Grin
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
(01-03-2018, 02:39 PM)David Wrote: Now remember, I like Glock.  I'm not a fanboy but I'm a fan.  I've carried a Glock, almost exclusively for over 20 years.  I became an instructor on Glock. So I think I can legitimately be critical.  I think a Glock is over priced.  Blue label would be about the right price point.  But civilian prices are too much and the Glocktards that accept whatever Georgia pumps out are keeping the price high.  I don't think a gun in it's price range should have plastic sights or guide rods.  That's just my opinion.  

And it does seem that Glock is losing a tad bit of market share overall.  Good.  They need to get a little worried and start offering deals like everyone else.  Their price point needs to drop a tad in my opinion.  A BL G43 is $411 out the door.  That's fair.  A BL Glock in the larger sizes are less than $450 out the door.  That's fair considering a Glock costs less than $90 to make.  Anything beyond BL is them gouging the populace.  I take issue with that.

That's my semi-rant for this morning  Big Grin

That hit home with me. Well said.
I like the idea of the prices coming down.

I just don't see enough of improvement over my Glock Gen 4s to justify any price increase.

I guess I need to check into the Glock Blue Gun program, since I was sworn in as ESDA Coordinator that may qualify me for it again.
I guess 'civilian' prices are over $500 for a Glock from what I gather.  That's just too high.  So if you can get BL then go for it with gusto.  But yeah, if you have a specific generation I see no compelling reason to change and don't see it as an upgrade.  My other buddy at work has gen3 for all his Glocks and is perfectly happy.  I was perfectly happy with my Gen2 Glock 17 and 19 and too be honest wish I still had them.  20/20 hindsight.  

The gun guys on YT like Sootch and Firearm blog and a bunch of the others basically get free guns and other stuff from what I understand.  I don't see the difference between them and the gun rags that do 'reviews' on the gun right next to the full page glossy ad.  I see them as somewhat informational but definitely biased.  Sootch sang the praises of the gen5 and said he'd trade all his other gens for the gen5.  Yeah....right.  I lost some respect for his reviews after that.  Several of the others are simply Glocktards.  I may watch them to get some info and stats but as far as their opinion I totally disregard their fawning over the product in question.  

I'm not sure if the Glock 19X is BL or not.  That seems to be up in the air at the moment.  My partner called his BL dealer and the dealer said he didn't think it was but that is still a question.  I could see a price tag on the 19X at between $500 and $525 since it comes with night sights and three mags.  That would be all I'd be interested in paying if I were interested at all, which I'm not.  

As far as Glock, I like my Gen 2.5 and hope I get it back from my son if he likes shooting the Shield better.  I like the Gen 4 and carry it and I have to say that I personally like the beaver tail grip attachment.  If I get the 2.5 back I may add an aftermarket one to it just because I like it so much on the gen 4.  Personal preference.  It doesn't need it, but I like it enough I'd buy one for it.

I see no real point in the G19X. The hard part of CCW is the grip and by going with the longer G17 grip they're just making the gun harder to conceal. Also, you can easily just put a G17 magazine into your current G19 and have basically the same thing. Seems like Glock is just a dog chasing it's tail at this point with no REAL new innovations coming out.

The thing about Glock is that if you have one, you have them all. I still have my original Gen II. I've never found a reason to change, upgrade or improve it. It just works for what it is intended i.e, reliable service pistol. Everything else is just a distinction without a difference IMO.

I will say that I saw one guy online who had one of those small Glock 27s. He had an extended threaded .40 barrel for it and a grip extender to use longer mags. In addition he has a threaded, 9mm conversion bbl. From a versatility standpoint he could carry it as a subcompact in either 40 or 9mm, a compact or or as a full size pistol in either caliber with or without a suppressor.

I thought that was very clever. If I didn't already have my one Glock I might have gone that route.
(01-04-2018, 03:06 PM)mac66 Wrote: The thing about Glock is that if you have one, you have them all. I still have my original Gen II. I've never found a reason to change, upgrade or improve it. It just works for what it is intended i.e, reliable service pistol. Everything else is just a distinction without a difference IMO.

Yep!

Man, I wish I still had my Gen 2 Glock 17  Sad

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Glock beaver tail David 3 51 01-10-2018, 04:33 PM
Last Post: David
Smile Couple of new guns... David 5 76 12-23-2017, 06:30 PM
Last Post: kirgi08
  The Bible, guns and self defense. David 1 44 12-17-2017, 01:45 PM
Last Post: JRSC
  Glock Perfection Bob 23 2,706 09-28-2017, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Bob
  Glock Gen5 David 9 367 09-14-2017, 02:40 PM
Last Post: David