Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heat wave
Backup heating sources are necessary. I have a AC/furnace for the upstairs and main level. If one goes bad it is an expensive inconvenience. I have underground utilities to the sub-station so it is very rare to loose power. I do have a gas fireplace and gas stove that can be used as backup heat.

I remember a old comic where the heat pump had died and it was wintertime. The husband was off to work and he was leaving instructions to keep the oven on 375 with the door open to keep the house warm until the repairman got there.
cheap basement backup... add a 20lb tank and it comes with 10ft hose/regulator, $110 ( not full time of course, designed for outside or barns )

or a smaller 25k unit for $65

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ProCom-80-00.../204583505
We had 3" of snow last night but the temp is 30 degrees. Almost feels balmy compared to single digits and below.

I had been running my small kero heater in the family room in the mornings and evenings just to take the chill off. Probably used it more this year than all other times combined.
well, appears to soon be over.... going from a low of 0F the other day to 50F this thursday.
wacky weather.
Yep, we had freezing rain Sunday, fog yesterday and today, supposed to be in the 50's next couple of days and then back into the low twenties for highs and low teens over the weekend.
Low 30s yesterday, so I switched to a light jacket and walked to the gym which is a mile away. Supposed to be in the 40s and rain. tomorrow. Probably lose all our beautiful snow, But snow is forecast for Friday so maybe get it back.
Woke up this morning at it is 60 degrees outside and turned on the weather and we are going under a winter weather advisory. Front moving through this afternoon and we will have a low of 18, freezing rain, changing to sleet, then snow.

Got to love St. Louis weather. Shorts and a t-shirt this morning to the gym, will have my parka and snow boots on tonight.
(01-11-2018, 11:20 AM)bmyers Wrote: Woke up this morning at it is 60 degrees outside and turned on the weather and we are going under a winter weather advisory. Front moving through this afternoon and we will have a low of 18, freezing rain, changing to sleet, then snow.

Got to love St. Louis weather. Shorts and a t-shirt this morning to the gym, will have my parka and snow boots on tonight.

It's 51 here right now. just about all snow (we had about 8" on the ground in SE Mich) is gone but a new front is supposed to come in tomorrow and bring more snow.