Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heat wave
We warmed up by 25 degrees this morning. I went outside without my Trooper hat on or my gloves and was comfortable at a nice warm 18 degrees.

With that being said, I know of two people that had their furnaces die over the last three days. One person, my dad, had backup heat source with a gas powered fire place and was able to keep his house comfortable until he got the furnace fixed the next day even though it was in the negative temps outside.

My best friend on the other hand had no back up heating source. He awoke to find his house at 48 degrees inside and by the time he got heaters bought and running it had dropped to 38. He quickly learned the value of having a back up heating source. I talked to him about the wall mounted heater we have in our basement. It would keep the house from freezing and provide emergency heat without power.

https://smile.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Natur...gas+heater

Watching the news, the east coast is getting ready to be pounded with a huge winter storm and it is important to have a backup heating source. Everyone thinks they will be fine until they are without.

Take the time and get a backup and pray that you will never have to use it.
It's been in the single digits and low teens during the days here, sub zero at night. My family room sticks out on the north west side of my house and thus is exposed to the north west wind. In low temps it gets cool and takes a long time to heat up in the morning. I have a couple kerosene heaters which I've had since Y2K. I light the small one in the morning to take the chill off.

Last winter we had a 4 day blackout. One of those heaters went in the basement to keep pipes from freezing, the other went in the living room and kept the main floor relatively warm while the family room and kitchen end of the house was heated by the wood fireplace. My neighbor has a tri level I lent him a Mr. Buddy propane heater for his lowest level for the pipes but reminded him that his gas fireplace could/would heat his main floor.

So bottom line is I have two kero heaters, two Mr. Buddy propane heaters and a fireplace, plus a generator and a gas stove. One can light the gas stove burners for heat if needed.
Winter storms like this reminded me of the folks that froze to death along that highway in New York a couple of years ago.  Something as simple as a fleece blanket or solar blanket would have gone a long way towards making it.  

In Florida during the summer you'd be hard pressed to see anyone without some type of water bottle in their hand.  Just goes with the territory yet you still have folks succumb to heat stroke in the summer.  Same for the winters up north, some just don't adequately prepare.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
It's been about the 9F range in the am lately.... Friday / Sat going down to 3F here in NY ( Long Island )

I wonder how some of the neighbors do it with out any backup heat source , esp during storms when the power goes down ( Tomorrow's storm is 6-12 inches with 30-40mph wind )

I have a gennie to run things, and still have 2 old kero heater just in case in the basement.
But will have to say, LOVE the new propane fireplace ... 23k btu with blower really heats up the upstairs.
Will in the future tap the service from the two 100 gal tanks so I can feed another heat source in the basement ( if needed )
One backup is good, two is better Smile
Woke up last night to a problem with the AC/heat pump outside.  Had to turn it off around 4:30 this morning.  Temp outside was 37 degrees at the time.  Not sure what the issue is yet, I'll be looking here in a bit.  Suppose to be colder tonight.

Not good, especially with the cold setting in.
Got the AC/heater back up and running the next afternoon.  A sheath of wires had come loose and gotten tangled in the fan blades cutting through the sheath and into one of the wires.  Simple matter to reconnect the wire and zip tie the sheath.  Back in action.  I can't complain at all, this is the original unit from 1994 when the house was built.  We've replaced the fan motor a couple of years ago after a lightning strike.  Other than that no major issues.  Do need to get the coils cleaned though.

Watching the news, they said the lizards were falling out of the sky because it was so cold in Florida.
Four below zero here this morning. I took my wife to the airport early 6 am, She's flying to Florida to visit her parents.

Went out running errands later. Kinda funny that by the time it got up to +5 I was taking my gloves off and walking around with my coat open. Like everything else once you get used it's not too bad.
Yep, currently 12 degrees and one of our dogs is laying out on the deck in the sun napping like it is summer time.

The other is laying on the love seat under a cover.