Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't forget the basics
I hate to admit it, but I forgot the basic, a simple band aid.

Thursday night we were shooting an IDPA match indoors. So, I took just my range bag and not my ammo can that I store additional stuff in. 

Rhonda had just completed her second stage when she walked over and asked me for a band aid because her finger was bleeding. I started going through my bag. Meanwhile she was dripping blood from a very small cut. One person gave her a Kleenex. The state trooper offered to run out to his squad car and get his first aid kit. I told everyone not to worry i had it under control or so I thought.

Out came the trauma bag, roll guaze, 4x4s, Qwik Clot, sling, pressure dressing, Israel bandage. At this point most everyone had gathered around to watch and of course they started making fun that I couldn't find a band aid. I continued to dig, out came the sucking chest wound kit, tourniquet, tick remover, wet wipes, finally I had to admit defeat. Not a single bandage in there. 

My friend Darin finished laughing and then handed Rhonda a band aid. 

Needless to say I was disappointed in myself, I forget the simple stuff. 

I have since corrected that and now if she gets another minor cut i'm ready to go. Yes, I had my first aid kit in the car, but I pride myself on having the stuff with me if needed and this time I failed. 

Yet, I learned from my mistake and will be better prepared next time.
Put one in your wallet. Always got one then. I  keep one  and another with my fishing/hunting license.
I keep 2 BC headache powders and 2 band-aids in the wallet inside my CDL physical card.

The last time I got "spot" inspected by the DOT I missed one of the BC powders when I handed my paperwork and logbook over. The officer asked what the BC powder was for and I said it usually required after one of these spot inspections. He broke out laughing and handed everything back without looking any further and said have a nice day. I got lucky because my log book needed a little work.
We've all probably been caught short a time or two.  Just the way it goes and luckily it's usually minor.  But it's a good wake up call though!
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.