Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ruger PC Carbine
I am not a big pistol caliber carbine fan (though I do own a few) but this new Ruger has some interesting features which may make it a nice truck/trunk/camping /HD gun.

-Comes with mag adapters for Glock mags-that's probably worth the price of admission itself

-Can be taken down for storage-kind of a cool feature

-Threaded muzzle-in case the Hearing Protection Act ever gets passed

-Use 10/22 trigger components. That means a pretty decent trigger with lots of options for improvement

-Integral optics rail with barrel mount peep sights- Short sight radius on the barrel but most people will mount optics I would guess.

-Both the bolt handle and mag released can be swapped from the right to left side- Good option, as a right hander I like the bolt handle on the left side. That way you can charge the rifle without taking your right hand off the grip.

I personally think it's ugly but do like that it is more conventional looking than an AR type. It does open the door to all kinds of aftermarket stocks and accessories. 

[Image: g2UKlQ9.jpg]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbmb4AIl2sM
I see lots of potential. I have a little more in my AR-9 than what the Ruger retails for. If I didn't have my AR-9 I would be looking hard at this.

An aftermarket stock would be a bit tricky with the magwell adapter but an adjustable cheek pad and length makes a difference.
Good point about the stock, but I suppose if Ruger can do it, then an aftermarket company could make a stock with a mag well to fit the mag adapters as well.

I forgot to mention that the butt pad has different spacers for it for changing the LOP. I would like to see what the inside of the stock looks like i.e, storage for supplies, mags, ammo etc.

In terms of PCCs I have an UZI (semi auto) and a Mech Tech CCU in .45 for 1911 mags. I've always found them fun to shoot but not very practical,. The UZI is heavy and way over engineered as a semi auto. The CCU only uses 1911 mags and frankly what can you go with it you can't do with a pistol? I have been thinking about a AR in 9mm but it never really appealed to me since  I already have a bunch of ARs and AKs.

It must be me getting older but I'm starting to like the look of conventional/traditional looking carbines over the tactical stuff.

A PCC does have some merit as a HD gun. They are generally easier to shoot and more controllable than a full sized rifle and/or shotgun. It is generally easier to shoot more accurately than a handgun. When I was in police work a neighboring dept equipped their patrol cars with semi auto MP5 short barrel carbines which they used as patrol rifles. They found most of their guys, particularly the gals, could shoot them better than their service pistols (not to mention that they looked like sub gun. Their people really liked them.

In addition, pistol calibers (9, 40, 45, and particularly 357 and 44 mags) do better out of carbine than a pistol so you do get a performance boost.

So bottom line is that a PCC like the new Ruger has some appeal to me because A. It's 9mm and I have lots of 9mm ammo stashed away. B. It's not an AR and is somewhat conventional looking and so I could have it in my RV without too much worry of it being illegal in most states. C. It's a take down and easy to stash in a trunk, truck or RV. D. It can use long or short Glock mags which is what my primary carry gun is. E. It would be easier for my wife to shoot than a rifle caliber rifle or a shotgun. F. It's just kind cool.
How much will these be running?
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I'm a fan of PCCs myself. We have a few of them and I'm waiting for the arrival of my Freedom FX-9. As I have stated in another thread, the whole family can shot them well. The noise level is not nearly as bad as a regular AR. We sight them in at 25 yards which makes a zero at 100 yards. In a suburban environment, a 100 yards will cover what most likely we would ever run into.

I think if the price is right for the Ruger, it would make a nice truck gun to go along with my Glocks.
(12-30-2017, 11:40 PM)David Wrote: How much will these be running?

MSRP is $650,   street price is running $520-550 . That will probably drop another $100 in a year or so.

You can preorder one here for $519

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore..../ID/202341
Ruger made some really good decisions on this. It should sell very well.
After thinking about it, I can see this better in 10mm or 357Sig. A 9mm does not gain much energy with a longer barrel. My AR-9 has a 10.5" barrel and it will push one of my 124gr about 1550fps and that same bullet runs at 1279 fps in my 1911 Govt model. I have also run the 14.5", 16", and 18" barrels and they do give higher numbers but there is not much gain over the 10.5" barrel (they laddered up to just under 1600fps with the 18" barrel).

The 10mm and 357Sig make better use of the longer barrel. I do not understand the science behind it but I have read some really good reviews on both of those calibers with 14" to 16" barrels. One of those was a 16" barrel 357Sig that took down a deer at 200 yards. They were getting 1450fps with a large frame Glock in 357Sig and 2070fps with the 16" barrel.

If I wasn't so heavily vested in 9mm and 45GAP the 357Sig would probably be my choice. I had a 10mm for a short period about 15 years ago and I just did not care for it. It was just a little too much all of the time. I have shot a Sig in 357Sig and was very impressed but this was after I had jumped in with the 45GAP.
(12-31-2017, 10:48 PM)Tsquare Wrote: After thinking about it, I can see this better in 10mm or 357Sig. A 9mm does not gain much energy with a longer barrel. My AR-9 has a 10.5" barrel and it will push one of my 124gr about 1550fps and that same bullet runs at 1279 fps in my 1911 Govt model. I have also run the 14.5", 16", and 18" barrels and they do give higher numbers but there is not much gain over the 10.5" barrel (they laddered up to just under 1600fps with the 18" barrel).

The 10mm and 357Sig make better use of the longer barrel. I do not understand the science behind it but I have read some really good reviews on both of those calibers with 14" to 16" barrels. One of those was a 16" barrel 357Sig that took down a deer at 200 yards. They were getting 1450fps with a large frame Glock in 357Sig and 2070fps with the 16" barrel.

If I wasn't so heavily vested in 9mm and 45GAP the 357Sig would probably be my choice. I had a 10mm for a short period about 15 years ago and I just did not care for it. It was just a little too much all of the time. I have shot a Sig in 357Sig and was very impressed but this was after I had jumped in with the 45GAP.

Not sure very many people care that much about ballistics. For them it's about having something they can plink with and/or use the mags from their pistol with.  Most people carry/own 9mm many of which are Glocks so this carbine is no brainer for Ruger.

As for 357 sig. I don't think Ruger makes anything in that cartridge, it and the 10 are kind of boutique/niche offerings. I would think the 45 acp would be a more popular choice given the availability of Glock 21 mags.
I'm one of those that ballistics is minimal concern. I figure the 9mm out of the pistol is good enough for me, so it coming from PCC will be good enough.

We pick our PCCs based on what works with our pistols, which our Glocks in the 9mm variety. Considering that the most common threat for us is two legged threat and in an urban environment most of the time. The increase in recoil, noise, and distance is not that important to our plan of use. It is more important that I have family that can shoot the select weapons well and willing to practice with them.

My wife has shot the ARs and 308s, along with the Mossin. She can shot them all effectively, but doesn't enjoy them and won't spend time practicing with them because it hurts her RA to much. The PCC allows her to shot all day long, she and the daughter have become very accurate with them and they both are very comfortable with them.

So I'm a huge proponent of the PCCs knowing how they work for us. I will wait to see how these Rugers preform and if they preform well, will look at getting my dad one next year.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ruger Security 9 David 2 48 01-16-2018, 12:18 AM
Last Post: mac66
  AR Carbine vs AR Pistol. TN.Frank 10 1,361 06-04-2017, 03:42 AM
Last Post: Ronin.45
  Crappy $350 Ruger Ronin.45 6 445 03-30-2017, 08:05 PM
Last Post: Ronin.45
  Bullpup for the Hi Point Carbine David 4 1,013 01-09-2017, 02:45 PM
Last Post: David