Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you have a light in every room?
My family made fun of me until the power went off, then I'm the hero. We have at least one flashlight in every room. Plus, the bedrooms each have a battery led lantern in them. 

Each vehicle has a light in them, every key ring has a light on it, and we have lights by each door so when you head outside there is a light right there (grandpa got me in this habit at the farm).

All those lights are on top of my EDC and the lights in the GHBs and EDC bags. 

I guess after working nights for so many years and needing a light almost every night I worked, I found it was easier to have and not need than need and not have. I have went through my fair share of lights over the years.

Just curious if others have this habit or if I'm a lone wolf.
Not every room, but most. Car, keys, gun bags all have them as well.
Nope, you're not alone  Wink

Folks at work have fun with me when it comes to flashlights...but guess who they come to when they want to know a good one to buy!

I've got at least one in each of the major rooms in the house.  Bedside I have three different ones including the tac light on the PPQ M2.  One on each key chain and of course vehicles and bags.  And I carry one or two spares in my EDC bag which would be the Nitecore EC11 and SRT3.

On person is the Nitecore EA11 which is also my preferred night walking light.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I have one on every floor and they get used rarely. My neighborhood has underground power lines to the sub-station. The only time we loose power is when something goes wrong at the sub-station. In 24 years the longest power outage was just under 6 hours when the sub-station took a lightning hit and blew out a couple of transformers.

I do have one or two in every vehicle - including the motorcycle.
Mostly every room has one ....
In many places , I also have those 'stick on the door" led hockey pucks... and they come right off the mount too
(12-26-2017, 03:31 PM)Tsquare Wrote: I have one on every floor and they get used rarely. My neighborhood has underground power lines to the sub-station.  The only time we loose power is when something goes wrong at the sub-station. In 24 years the longest power outage was just under 6 hours when the sub-station took a lightning hit and blew out a couple of transformers.

I do have one or two in every vehicle - including the motorcycle.

Are longest power outage was a little over 4 and half days, followed that winter by the second longest power outage, 3 days. They have made many improvements to the electrical grid since then and I think the longest we have been without power since those incident has been around 12 hours. 

We live in the old part of town and they finally got around to start updating switches, transformers, etc. about two years ago. It has made a major improvement.

(12-26-2017, 02:57 PM)David Wrote: Nope, you're not alone  Wink

Folks at work have fun with me when it comes to flashlights...but guess who they come to when they want to know a good one to buy!

I've got at least one in each of the major rooms in the house.  Bedside I have three different ones including the tac light on the PPQ M2.  One on each key chain and of course vehicles and bags.  And I carry one or two spares in my EDC bag which would be the Nitecore EC11 and SRT3.

On person is the Nitecore EA11 which is also my preferred night walking light.

Thanks to my wife, we now have Olight R50 Seeker lights by the front and back door. 

We have the Olight S1R/S2Rs in the different rooms. In the vehicles we have Olight H2Rs. Along with those we have Rayvac Sportsman LED lanterns in bedrooms and living room. 

On the key chains we have the Olight I3E EOS. 

On the pistols and rifles we have a combination of Streamlight TLR-1, TLR-1HL, and TLR-6.

My EDC is the Olight M2R Warrior. 

All our bags have a small single AA battery LED light along with headlamps. 

On top of all those, I have different makes and models of flashlights in various drawers and on top of different items. Several models of Mag-lights from years past that still work.
In my previous house I was the second to last rural EMC customer on the line from the sub-station. I lived there for 6 years and any storm that popped up would cause a power outage. When I moved there the place was total electric with an inefficient fireplace and zero backup for power loss.

When I sold the house I had installed a Buck stove insert in the fireplace. I also installed a low voltage heat exchanger with a battery backup in the chimney to push warm air to the back of the house. That setup allowed me to heat the house with minimal firewood. This setup reduced the amount of wood to a quarter of what I used the first year there with the original inefficient design.

I had converted the electric stove/oven to gas and installed a generator with a manual transfer switch out at the deep well. I also had a portable generator that was just strong enough to run the deep freezer. I would alternate it between the fridge and freezer when an outage hit the 3 hour. I also had the old style hurricane oil lamps in every room. When we lost power those lamps would light the place up.

When I sold that place I placed a high priority on being close to the sub-station and having berried transmission lines to my transformer. When I bought my current house we were in a small subdivision way out in the woods about 15 miles NE of the Atlanta perimeter. It was a 10 minute drive just to get to a gas station and now I have one within a five minute walk. Urban sprawl caught up with us and we are looking to relocate once we go into full retirement mode.
Yes. When we had the last major earthquake, it was dark. Broken prune juice bottle on the floor in the kitchen. The maglite flashlights were either corroded or the batteries dead. Stored in the service porch past the kitchen. Now a flashlight in every room - and tested every couple of months. About 5 specialty flashlights at the front door.

Like, are you looking for something in the car under the seat in the dark. Specialty light from MacGee Engineering.
Do you need a light to go for a walk? A few 18650s.
Do both of your need to have a light at the same time.

So I have some expensive MacGee Engineering lights at the front door because I don't want to go looking in the garage when shtf.
We have added night lights that are also battery back up so if the power goes out, the light ill continue to work.

https://smile.amazon.com/AmerTac-71138CC...BQX0C01T94
(03-01-2018, 10:05 PM)bmyers Wrote: We have added night lights that are also battery back up so if the power goes out, the light ill continue to work.

https://smile.amazon.com/AmerTac-71138CC...BQX0C01T94

We have a similar one in the kitchen which is the center part of the house.  Makes it a focal point if the power goes out.  Very handy to have.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Got a new light for Father's day bmyers 2 126 06-27-2018, 10:25 AM
Last Post: bmyers
  Added another light (actually two of them) bmyers 7 212 05-20-2018, 07:55 PM
Last Post: bmyers
  Review: CREE 'Super Light' David 0 745 03-29-2016, 01:34 PM
Last Post: David
  USB Night Light Widgets David 6 2,918 10-07-2015, 12:13 PM
Last Post: David