Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latin America survival kit airline safe
My girl friends brother frequently takes trips to Latin America. While he is there, he likes to take random road trips and trips into the jungle. We just had a conversation about prepping so I'm trying to come up with a good kit of stuff for him
 Remember,  this is going to have to go through airport security in Latin American countries.... So blades are probably out.

I got......
Life straw (ya know, crappy water)
First aid kit plus immodium
Flash light 
Whistle and signal mirror (for signalling)
Rain poncho
Cordage

I'd really like some sort of fire starter but I'm struggling to think of something that could be on a plane. Same thing with a blade.

I could spend $1,000, but I'm trying to keep it small so this guy will actually carry it. Something that fits in a zipper bag.

What are the core things I am missing, and what can I get away with taking on a plane?

Compass.

Magnifying glass... Is airplane safe

The reviews on the lifestraw with actual imperial testing are not that great. I think I'd pick the sawyer
I haven't flown in years, is a Bic or Zippo okay to take on a plane these days?
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
(12-26-2017, 03:11 PM)David Wrote: I haven't flown in years, is a Bic or Zippo okay to take on a plane these days?

I believe most cigarette lighters are allowed on a plane.  Also take a look at that Firebiner thing I posted. It has a sparker and a small covered blade for cutting cord.  It would be allowed on a plane.
So I had a lot of down time this weekend to think about this and research parts and this is what i'm looking at.

Parameters:
-had to be small.. so it actually gets taken along. Preferably small enough to fit in a cargo pocket
-needed to have a good water filter
-no combustables or flammables (for customs/ airplane)
-No metal (for customs/airplane)
-needed to have 'everything' meaning, i can't rely on him to stop and pick up a knife or a Bic at his destination. He'd never think to do that.

First, the water filter. Comparing Life Straw and other items out there, I came to the Sawyer. It's a little bit larger than I'd like (but still smaller than the Life Straw), does better on viruses (Jungle anyone?) and also I read a great blog about how the Life Straw isn't very multi purpose (you have to stick it in a stream, there is no way to transport the water) and the Sawyer comes with the baggie, threads onto a standard bottle and fits on a hydration bag. For $20 on Amazon, seems to make the most amount of sense.

I'm still actually nervous about him taking a Bic on a plane. Also that doesn't give him any tinder. Right now I'm going back and forth between

S.O.L. Survive Outdoors Longer Fire Lite Kit
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0091D...0DER&psc=1

and the

Zippo Emergency Fire Kit
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071YS...0DER&psc=1

They are about the same size and price. The Zippo kit has fewer tinder packs, but they are contained in their own waterproof tube. I think that's important for the humid jungle. The Zippo also looks more robust.

So thats water and fire.

The rest is pretty easy:

Signal Mirror $5
Compass $8
whistle $5
Cordage (free)
Rain Poncho $2
flashlight ($12. 1AA energizer, my new favorite)
Molle pouch $12
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075QC...ZFXB&psc=1

What I like about this is how it lays open, but has elastic so i can protect the small stuff from falling out and getting lost. I can look at the picture and pretty much visualize where everything would go

I'm still trying to decide on a blade. On one hand, I could do something really really small and simple, but on the other hand I'm concerned about him getting in trouble at customs in Latin American countries. I don't want him to get locked in jail in Columbia because I put a pen knife in a kit for him. (not exaggerating there). I'd like to do a space blanket but again i'm concerned about it freaking out a metal detector at an airport

But, with this, he can
-get water and stay hydrated
-signal several ways
-get dry (poncho and string)
-attempt a fire.

The fire is still a long shot. Les Shroud and Cody Linden have issues starting a fire in a wet rain forest. I'm not holding out great hope for that, but if I can spend $12 and give him a chance, then it's worth it.

Its pretty funny, I was looking through all the random survival sheet on Amazon, and found a survival paracord bracelet that has a compass, whistle, mirror, flint and striker all rolled into one for $10. Man, that knocks out my entire list of things except the water filter and poncho.

However, The flint rod is about a half inch rod and I don't trust the compass worth a damn (small compasses are hard to read and not accurate). So, while I could spend $11 on a gimmick, this equipment, if it had to be used, would literally be life and death, so I think it's worthwhile to spend $60 ish to buy decent gear

So, feedback? Lets play critique and see what else I'm missing or not thinking of. I tried to be pretty rational and logical on this
(12-27-2017, 12:37 AM)ric0123 Wrote: So I had a lot of down time this weekend to think about this and research parts and this is what i'm looking at.

Parameters:
-had to be small.. so it actually gets taken along.  Preferably small enough to fit in a cargo pocket
-needed to have a good water filter
-no combustables or flammables (for customs/ airplane)
-No metal (for customs/airplane)
-needed to have 'everything'  meaning, i can't rely on him to stop and pick up a knife or a Bic at his destination. He'd never think to do that.

First, the water filter.  Comparing Life Straw and other items out there, I came to the Sawyer.  It's a little bit larger than I'd like (but still smaller than the Life Straw), does better on viruses (Jungle anyone?) and also I read a great blog about how the Life Straw isn't very multi purpose (you have to stick it in a stream, there is no way to transport the water) and the Sawyer comes with the baggie, threads onto a standard bottle and fits on a hydration bag.  For $20 on Amazon, seems to make the most amount of sense.

I'm still actually nervous about him taking a Bic on a plane.  Also that doesn't give him any tinder. Right now  I'm going back and forth between

S.O.L. Survive Outdoors Longer Fire Lite Kit
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0091D...0DER&psc=1

and the

Zippo Emergency Fire Kit
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071YS...0DER&psc=1

They are about the same size and price.  The Zippo kit has fewer tinder packs, but they are contained in their own waterproof tube.  I think that's important for the humid jungle. The Zippo also looks more robust.

So thats water and fire.

The rest is pretty easy:

Signal Mirror  $5
Compass  $8
whistle  $5
Cordage  (free)
Rain Poncho  $2
flashlight ($12.  1AA energizer, my new favorite)
Molle pouch  $12
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075QC...ZFXB&psc=1

What I like about this is how it lays open, but has elastic so i can protect the small stuff from falling out and getting lost. I can look at the picture and pretty much visualize where everything would go

I'm still trying to decide on a blade. On one hand, I could do something really really small and simple, but on the other hand I'm concerned about him getting in trouble at customs in Latin American countries.  I don't want him to get locked in jail in Columbia because I put a pen knife in a kit for him. (not exaggerating there).  I'd like to do a space blanket but again i'm concerned about it freaking out a metal detector at an airport

But, with this, he can
-get water and stay hydrated
-signal several ways
-get dry (poncho and string)
-attempt a fire.

The fire is still a long shot.  Les Shroud and Cody Linden have issues starting a fire in a wet rain forest.  I'm not holding out great hope for that, but if I can spend $12 and give him a chance, then it's worth it.

Its pretty funny, I was looking through all the random survival sheet on Amazon, and found a survival paracord bracelet that has a compass, whistle, mirror, flint and striker all rolled into one for $10. Man, that knocks out my entire list of things except the water filter and poncho.

However, The flint rod is about a half inch rod and I don't trust the compass worth a damn (small compasses are hard to read and not accurate).  So, while I could spend $11 on a gimmick, this equipment, if it had to be used, would literally be life and death, so I think it's worthwhile to spend $60 ish to buy decent gear

So, feedback?  Lets play critique and see what else I'm missing or not thinking of. I tried to be pretty rational and logical on this

Pretty good list.

I wouldn't worry about a blade. He can always pick up something when he gets there., ditch it when he leaves. Central American is a knife culture.  Or take a conventional men's razor with removable blades.   Fire is another one of those things that one can improvise. A bic lighter, a Zippo, waterproof matches, some cotton balls and some Vaseline, hand sanitizer,  wax etc etc would cover it. 

One of the things I always pack are some collapsible water containers. The ones I use are called Rum Runners, they are originally intended to smuggle booze on board cruise ships (they do work well for that) but they are heavy duty and good for carrying water as well. Come in a bunch of sizes, compress flat.  I use them a lot more for water than booze (though we did just get back from a cruise before Christmas and I used them for both)

http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/flasks.aspx
Those are very cool! The sawyer filter kit includes something very similar
(12-27-2017, 08:10 PM)ric0123 Wrote: Those are very cool! The sawyer filter kit includes something very similar

Yeah even better with a filter.
After doing a lot of reading, I'm really digging the grayle water purifier. $60 and does viruses
http://www.thegrayl.com
(12-31-2017, 05:46 AM)ric0123 Wrote: After doing a lot of reading, I'm really digging the grayle water purifier. $60 and does viruses
http://www.thegrayl.com

Thanks for finding/posting that. My wife and I are hiking the Inca Trail in Peru next year and have been looking for a purifier that is light and easy to use. This one just jumped to the top of the list.
The Grayl system looks interesting. Just watch the outside of the container. You will be holding onto a container that you dipped in dirty water and unless you wipe off the outside, you have a chance of some of that dirty water coming into contact with your face while your are drinking.

I'm guessing by simply wiping down the outside of the container you could eliminate that concern.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Military Survival kits David 1 212 03-10-2019, 10:05 PM
Last Post: David
  10 Non-Power Tools You Need for Survival David 6 1,194 10-02-2018, 03:20 AM
Last Post: Gene
  10 Survival Uses for Duct Tape David 1 467 07-26-2018, 01:25 AM
Last Post: JRSC
  Mini Survival Kit David 1 557 07-06-2018, 04:09 PM
Last Post: David
  Glock Survival Parts Kit David 11 4,227 09-08-2017, 03:07 PM
Last Post: Scout