Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SS guide rod and extra # springs
What are your thoughts on steel or SS guild rods?  What about extra lbs on the recoil spring?

I see a Ruger LC9 SS guide rod on Ebay for under $7 and have thought it may be better than the plastic one it came with.  Certainly the price is next to nothing.

Glock SS springs are a bit pricier though.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
The Glock springs and other internals will easily last 40k rounds. The weak links are the firing pin and extractor. Firing pins have chipped with as little as 20-25k round in the harder hitting 10mm and 357sig. Some people swear by the SS guide rods - I tried one in the G19 when I had it. I didn't notice any difference.

My 45GAP chipped it's firing pin at just over 40K and the extractor had been flinging my mouse fart brass at my forehead for a while. The high end loads would pitch the brass over my right shoulder and that is primarily what I had been shooting for the last 5 or 6k rounds. 

With my rebuild by Glock they replaced everything except the frame, slide, and barrel. It lost my 4 lb trigger that was as smooth and crisp as you could get with a Glock and got the gritty, creepy, 8 lb pull back after the rebuild. I have swapped out the trigger spring and installed an after-market minus bar that had gotten me down to just under a 5 lb pull. I have also done the 25 cent polish job. It is smoother and is still a little creepy - I have another brand of connector I am going to try at the first of the year to see if that will help with the creep.
I use SS in my Glocks just because I like them. No real advantage over factory that I've seen in 50,000rds.

Heavier springs are probably a bad idea in an LC9. With such a light slide it should be sprung pretty heavy to begin with. You don't want to get it short stroking. Only way to know for sure is to try though.
Did a little research and it looks like the LC9 comes stock with a 16 lb spring.

I ordered that SS rod from eBay.  I'll give it a try with the stock recoil spring(s).

I use a SS in Rhonda's and in my G19. All the other GLocks have stock rods. I figured since those two see the most shooting, I would use a little nicer rod in them.
I tried the Lone Wolf ones on some Gen4 Glocks that I had and got failure to return to battery issues with them. With the stock spring/guide rod assembly I had zero issues. I think in the Gen3 Glocks where it's a simple rod with a single spring it may be an ok idea but with a compound spring assembly I'd rather stick with factory.
The rod arrived last week and I put it in without issue.  Seems to be identical to the plastic one.  And it's a straight single rod rather than the dual design.  We'll see how it goes at the range next week.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Glock Wolff guide rod, recoil spring and striker spring David 0 381 09-03-2017, 02:21 PM
Last Post: David