Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chickens and rabbits?
(11-19-2016, 03:09 PM)David Wrote: Breed the Cali doe on the 14th.

She kindled last weekend.  I haven't dug through but looks like at least seven.  These will be all white with the ears standing up.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
English lop (middle) bred today (2 fall offs).

Heart breaker yesterday when I went out to tend to the rabbits and quail.  One of my does kindled the night before (coldest night of the year for us so far at 35F).  I didn't even know she was pregnant!  I had tried to breed her last month but the buck did not have any fall-offs.  Tried several times with no fall-offs so I figured to give her a rest.  With no fall-offs I didn't think the breeding had taken place (as I've never had a kindle from no fall-offs before).  Well she kindled 11 kits and they all were dead when I went out due to the cold.  I didn't have a nesting box in with her because I didn't know.  That really sucks!  I've never had one of them have that many before.

And...

Two of the white kits (from the doe that kindled last month) got out of their cage during the night.  We caught one and put her back in but couldn't find the other.  I closed the small gap so there's no repeat, surprised they wiggled through it.  So I'm down to 7 of the white ones.  

Lessons learned.  Even if I don't have any fall-offs I'll assume their going to kindle and have a box ready.  

The middle doe needs a nesting box on the Jan 17th,

Suck-fest continues.  The other Lop doe kindled yesterday, more than a week early and I don't know why.  I wasn't scheduled to put the nesting box in until next Tuesday (day 27).  She also had 11 and 10 were DRT when my son went out to door the water/food chores.  One was alive so he put in the nesting box.  It's really small and scrawny compared to what it should look like.  Don't know what prompted a premature kindle?  Doubt it will make it by itself but we'll see.  So that's a total of 22 rabbits gone in the last week.  

Sad

As soon as you breed one install a box.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Can't do that.  If they weren't fully breed they'll end up chewing the box to pieces.

The woman at the corner of the dead end street has a garden in the front yard.  (The houses in the neighborhood range from 1.5 million to 3 million).  I learned yesterday that she has 4 hens in the backyard.  I know the guy at the back of my lot has a hen as well. 

So far, three neighbors have followed my lead and planted fruit trees in the front yard.  Just plain old city lots. 

My backyard is over grown with fruit trees (picked up a cheromoya off the ground today).  I think the newly planted French plum died.