Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chickens and rabbits?
Looking at picking up the quails next Monday evening.  Plan to get six females and two males to start with.  Then in a couple of weeks I'm going to make a DIY incubator.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Okay, finished the cage and picked up the game bird food and the water/food dispensers.  Also picked up 8 quail this evening (6 female and 2 mail) and got them all situated.  Seller said they were 3-4 weeks old.  Bought them for $3 each.  They should be laying around 6-7 weeks.  

I'll keep you posted.  Smile

Hoping to have at least one of the female rabbits have a kindle, probably around the end of this month...

Not sure if either of the females got pregnant.  Sunday would be day 31 and so far neither has plucked any fur from their underside indicating their ready to nest.  If not, Max our male has a date on Monday for a retry  Cool

As I indicated in the quail thread, my son and I are going to be making additional cages next week.  I want to have one more female for breeding so we'll make a cage for her.  I'll get her out of the first kindle we have.  Also want to make two grow out pens so there's no overcrowding.  

It takes 31 days for a female to deliver a kindle.  So my 'plan' is thus:
  • One female gets pregnant.
  • 31 days later she delivers. 
  • Female #2 gets pregnant.  Female #1 nurses for one month (which apparently is as long as is needed for them to start on pellets).
  • Female #2 delivers, group #1 is now a month old and gets transferred to the grow out pen.
  • Group #2 is weaned and gets transferred to grow out pen, group #1 is now 2 months old and full grown (or just about) and can be harvested.
  • Start the cycle again.

If I have a third female then she gets worked into the mix.  That will have each female with 3-4 kindles a year which as I understand it is reasonable.  Once this is all in progress I should have a monthly supply of rabbit meat.

Well I did some further research and it turns out I was wrong.  I thought my rabbits were mini-lops but I guess I was looking at the wrong information on the net.  Looks like they're English Lops which are much bigger at around 10-12lbs.  I didn't think either was pregnant but my son went out to check on them and there were two dead bunnies on the wire.  I had been checking the last several days for signs of fur being plucked out but didn't see any.  That's suppose to be the indicator to put in the nesting box.  My wife and son put in a nesting box (and one for the other rabbit in case she's pregnant).  Waiting to see if there are any other births or not.  From what I'm reading, it isn't uncommon for all/part of a first kindle to be still born.  I also think I bred them too early.  Mini lops are like around 3-4 months but English lops are around 9 months or 10lbs.  They look like they're easily 10lbs but only around 4-5 months old.  I'll wait and see if the other one has a kindle which should be around Sunday.

My project has went dead in its tracks... My wife no longer supports it. She changed her mind and don't want them anymore. So, I'm probably going to finish it and much to her surprise will find a couple in the pen one day.
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
Well I'm definitely learning  Big Grin

It looks like the females are English lops and the male is indeed a Mini lop.  He's smaller and the ears are shorter.  I'm thinking by tomorrow I'll know if the other female was pregnant or not.

(04-29-2016, 10:39 PM)JRSC Wrote: My project has went dead in its tracks... My wife no longer supports it. She changed her mind and don't want them anymore. So, I'm probably going to finish it and much to her surprise will find a couple in the pen one day.

Take charge buddy!  Wink

Doing something for self reliance is always a positive.  And you learn a LOT in the process.  She may not be on board at the moment but perhaps she'll change her mind.

An empty belly works wonders.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Hi, new here.

We've raised chickens for 15 years and rabbits for four. Rabbits are much easier. Some advantages over chickens:

- most municipalities consider them pets, so no restrictions as there can be against roosters;

- manure doesn't have to be composted and can go directly from rabbit to garden;

- the kits nurse for about 5 weeks, get fed pellets for maybe another 5 weeks and then processed, very little cost for meat production;

- a natural non processed diet is very possible, even on a small lot, there are tons of rabbit healthy plants.

Just a few thoughts from a newcomer.