Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chickens and rabbits?
John where do you plan on getting your quail?
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
(03-21-2016, 12:12 PM)David Wrote: John where do you plan on getting your quail?

I'm going with chickens. I've talked to everyone I know that has them and it seems to be the best route for me to go. With my time and budget, I need something as easy and cheap as possible. Chickens won the debate. Quail might come later on given things pick up. 

I've got some pallets from work and have found a good bit of scrap wood that will make the coop. So other than the fencing I've got the coop covered. I've been googling chicken coop designs and DIY ideas and shouldn't have too many problems. This project should be in full operation after this weekend.
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
Very cool.  I'm looking at doing the rabbits this weeks since I only work Wed-Thur.  Then I'd like to get into the quail as I think it would be easy for me to pull off where I live.  If you do the chickens then we can compare notes so-to-speak and see how they stack up with each other.

I'm pretty pumped about the whole thing!  I like feeling more and more self-reliant.

BTW, looking at a lot of YT vids yesterday (and posted a bunch here), one guy was saying (in regards to rabbits) that one doe could produce between 200-300 pounds of meat a year in offspring.  That's a lot of meat.  Higher in protein and lower in fat/cholesterol than the other types of meat.  And also more easily digestible.

(03-21-2016, 06:55 PM)David Wrote: Very cool.  I'm looking at doing the rabbits this weeks since I only work Wed-Thur.  Then I'd like to get into the quail as I think it would be easy for me to pull off where I live.  If you do the chickens then we can compare notes so-to-speak and see how they stack up with each other.

I'm pretty pumped about the whole thing!  I like feeling more and more self-reliant.

BTW, looking at a lot of YT vids yesterday (and posted a bunch here), one guy was saying (in regards to rabbits) that one doe could produce between 200-300 pounds of meat a year in offspring.  That's a lot of meat.  Higher in protein and lower in fat/cholesterol than the other types of meat.  And also more easily digestible.

I'm looking forward to your insight. I'm going to try to take pics from start to finish. Since this is a "cheap as possible" mission, I'm sure it will be a wealth of knowledge from what I can accomplish in what time and shortcomings and trouble I'll have. 

I convinced the wife who was pretty solid in her opposition to the idea that the self reliant aspect of this project would certainly be beneficial for us as well as the mom in law, my cousin and his family and people in my church. I'm gaining ground with my wife on the whole self reliance and prepping thing as before she kinda saw it as something silly.
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

Plan is to get the rabbit project done this weekend.  Then I can start on the quail project.  

As a side note, a bed underneath the rabbits is the perfect spot to also introduce red wiggler worms to even better fertilizer.  I've seen this before and it works very well.  The worms really like the rabbit manure.  I already do vermiposting in my worm factory 360, this will kick this up several levels.

Bought the materials today for the PVC frame and the wire.  Plan on building it tomorrow.  Looking forward to it.

I've got a ton of pallets and scrap wood. Probably more than I need but will come in handy for other projects. I laid out some of the boards and got an idea of what I want to do this afternoon. If I can get a free moment tomorrow afternoon then I'll start putting the coop together. Trying to get this done ASAP. To my surprise chicks go faster than I thought.

Thumbs Up 
Got it all set up over the weekend.  PVC framework and suspended cages.  All made from scratch, courtesy of those YT videos I posted.  Good experience and we had fun with it.  Picked up one buck and two does yesterday.  One of the does may be pregnant so we'll see.

Next project is the quail.  Smile

I spent all day Saturday getting ready for Sunday. Spent the largest part of Sunday at the mother in laws. I had a ton of time today but the batteries for my tools pooped on me.... Got to borrow some tools from a guy at work tomorrow. Then work a little at a time through the week.

Everything seems to be going well with the rabbits.  They seem to be enjoying the set up I built.  It's suspended and has a nice breeze.  Now to wait for the rabbit manure to get 1-2 inches deep so I can introduce the red worms and begin the vermiposting.  I 'think' one of the does may already be pregnant from before I bought her which would be great.  I introduced the other doe to the buck a couple of times yesterday (book I got said do it twice about 10 hours apart).  So we'll see if it worked.

Working on the quail project now...