Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pocket pistol range report
Thumbs Up 
Went to the range this morning.  Took several pistols;  Ruger LC9, Ruger LC9s, Taurus 709 Slim and the S&W Shield.  I have to say that I was very pleased with the performance of each of them.  I only had one FTF and that was with the Ruger LC9 with a single 124+P Gold Dots.  I shot Estate 115 fmj, Blazer Brass 115 fmj, PMC 115 fmj and Remington UMC 115 jhp.  Except for that single GD everything else functioned without a hitch.  

I was surprised at how warm the Estate ammo was.  First time I've fired any of it and got three boxes in one of my trades yesterday.  Listed as standard pressure 115 fmj it seemed to be equivalent to the 124+P GD rounds in terms of felt recoil.  

The Remington UMC 115 jhp's fed well and were accurate.  Warm but not uncomfortable to me by any means.  Seeing how these fed reliably in all magazines in all the guns I believe this is a good contender for a locally available SD round in all of these pocket 9's.

For the LC9 and LC9s I currently have a total of 5 magazines.  Four are Italian and one USA.  I have heard that some of the USA mags have malfunction issues but pleased that this one functioned 100%.  The one FTF was with one of the Italian mags.

The LC9s magazine release was on the difficult side to depress easily for the mag to fall out.  You'd have to really get the tip of your thumb on it to depress it fully enough to disengage the magazine.  Not hard to press as in it had a lot of resistance but hard as in it had to really be pushed fully in to get the mag to drop.  Not a deal breaker but I'll have to do a bit of research on this to see if it's common and/or an easy fix and/or it there is an extended mag release available.

In terms of accuracy I'd have to say that they are all comparable.  In terms of felt recoil it was also very close.  I was shooting the LC9s, 709 and Shield side-by-side with one or two rounds fired and then pick up the next gun and repeat.  The LC9s may have had slightly more felt recoil but too be honest it wasn't enough to really be a consideration.  

Triggers:

The LC9 is indeed a long DAO trigger.  But I'm use to revolvers with much longer/harder trigger pulls.  As far as pull weight it wasn't bad at all and actually was pleasant and smooth.  No, not a polished competition gun smooth but for a pocket SD 9mm I was quite pleased.  I don't have a trigger pull gauge but if I had to guess I'd put it at or around 6 lbs.  Smooth pull that was consistent in feel all the way through.  I'm giving this a thumbs up for CCW pocket carry for me.  

LC9s was very pleasant and consistent.  Crisp with a nice reset.  Not unlike a Glock as far as pull weight/feel.  Chances are that the wife will take this one for her CCW.  

709 is a trigger that you have to get use to, but once you do it's fine.  What I mean is that, like the PT111 G2, it breaks very far back.  The trigger travel to the break is consistent each time and the break is crisp.  It just breaks farther back than other guns in this group.  Not really an issue at all, just a difference.   For a SD CCW gun the amount of trigger travel is actually not a bad thing at all.  Nice crisp/short reset.  

Shield had a nice trigger as well for a compact SD CCW gun.  Very consistent and crisp.  Nice reset.  My son has expressed interest in this one for his gun.

All-in-all the triggers on any of these are perfectly fine for a SD CCW gun.  It will be a couple of weeks before my wife, son and I can all arrange to go to the range together due to the Holidays and schedule but I'll have them try out each of the above as well as the Glock 26 my son currently has and then let them decide which works the best for them.  As for me, the LC9 will make a dandy pocket and/or secondary gun to my Glock 26.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I was taking my nightly walk last night around the neighborhood. Put the Ruger LC9 in the Sticky Holster and headed out. As I was walking the thought struck me and I had to smile; I started with the Sheriff's Office close to 30 years ago with a S&W M64 .38 Special as my duty sidearm. Six rounds of Remington 125 SJHP. Here I was walking around with a much smaller pistol that carried 33% more ammunition (Remington UMC 115 JHP) that was probably more effective out of the 3 inch barrel than the .38 out of the 4 inch barrel. 

Just struck me as kinda funny as I walked around  Smile

A note on the Ruger LC9;  As I look around the web I see folks complaining about the long DA trigger pull.  Not sure what their complaining about really?  Yes, it's a long trigger pull but mine is nice and smooth all the way through.  Not as smooth as an HK LEM trigger but I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth it actually was.  The other complaint was the raised round indicator bar on top.  Again, not really sure what the issue is that people are complaining about.  It doesn't interfere with the sight picture.  It doesn't interfere with the draw from a holster.  And it is a rather visible in-your-face indicator that a round is chambered.  Just don't see it as some big negative.  That's just me and a couple of observations.

Interesting how much firearms and especially ammunition have advanced over the years.
(12-18-2017, 07:42 PM)bmyers Wrote: Interesting how much firearms and especially ammunition have advanced over the years.

Agreed, they've taken some big steps in the right direction.  20+ years ago you couldn't have given me a 147 round for a 9mm.  Nowadays they are a good solid performer.  The bonded bullets like Gold Dot and Golden Sabre have taken HP's to another level of performance.  

I guess ray guns are next.  Then we'll be discussing which is more effective;  a laser, maser or phaser.  Wink

I wonder what type of body armor you would use against ray guns? I know the Borg uses rotating shield harmonics, but I wonder what regular officers will use when that day arises?
As long as their not wearing a red shirt they'll be fine  Big Grin

Photo 
[Image: 21013659aa7ae1abeae905a6ec90ee38--funny-...-stuff.jpg]
Not exactly a pocket pistol, but since we went sci-fi, my personal choice is:

Phased Plasma Rifle in the 40 watt range!

Noisy Cricket for me.
(12-25-2017, 01:52 AM)mac66 Wrote: Noisy Cricket for me.

That's one heck of a pocket gun!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  300 Blackout AR Pistol Update. TN.Frank 0 5 Yesterday, 03:07 PM
Last Post: TN.Frank
  AR Pistol Build Bob 0 30 01-07-2018, 04:49 PM
Last Post: Bob
  Florida concealed pistol permit? mac66 1 65 12-04-2017, 01:31 AM
Last Post: David
  Fun day at the range bmyers 1 122 11-27-2017, 12:12 AM
Last Post: Bob
  More 300 Blackout AR Pistol Shooting. TN.Frank 0 56 11-23-2017, 12:10 AM
Last Post: TN.Frank