Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SEP Gathering #18
They didn't send me a combo in the confirmation so I'm assuming no gate/lock.  I've never been there so have no idea as to the location but would imagine they'd have to have it marked somehow.  The photo did have a fire ring and benches so that much should be certain.

Let us know what it's like for future trips.  I'm very curious.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Best directions I can get from Google Earth Maps to campsite area:

1. Go to Google earth, enter I75/ Wesley Chapel.

2. Exit 75 unto Fl 54 East.

3. Follow 54 East, just past the 1st Babtist Church[on the left] turn right[South]  unto Gall Blvd( aka Fl 39,aka Fl41[it's not US41], aka US301 to the South.

4. followGall Rd to the fork in the road. Take the left fork[Fl 39 to the south].

5. turn left[East] onto Chaney Rd.[County Rd 535], continue on, curving to the North.

6. 2/10th of a mile North of Hidden Creek Golf Carts complex area[on the left[Eastern side industrial area of the Zepherhills Airport] is the parking lot for the campgrounds.

7. Proceed afoot 4/10th mile East to the "T" of the trail and a 2 rut road going left and right[ sort of North and South].

8.Look for a light up a tree or call me at  941-718-0111. Maybe even follow my two wheel cart tracks.

9. Hope to see you there. I'll have the coffee on and a fire going.
More info/directions:  For the GPS users- parking lot is at 28 13 22.25N and 82 08 44.97W.  The campground is at  28 13 08.82N and 82 08 00.43W.

Map readers: From the parking lot on Chancey Rd. proceed due East, about 2/10th mile you can either turn right[South] and follow the trail to the campground, or go to the "T" intersection, turn right[South], follow the trail until another "T", turn left[East], campground id on the left.

Questions or need help getting in call me[see previous thread for number]

This is a pack in/out campground. Pitcher pump is NON-POTABLE. I'll bring cooking/drinking/coffee/tea water from home.

Parking lot to campground is between 1/2 to 3/4 mile.

Kiosk map shows - parking lot is #13 and campground is #10.

See you there.
Sounds like fun, although on the way tot he gym this morning it was showing -1, so a little chilly to be camping in these parts of the woods.
So how was that site?

The site was smaller than Serenova, as it had a lot of trees and palmettos in a compact area. Not much room to spread out. There was a NON-POTABLE pitcher pump 50' from the fire ring. Nice easy hard two rut road about a mile from the parking lot. Very scenic and an easy walk.

Now for the bad news: Parking lot is unsecured. Open to the traffic of Chaney Rd. Seems a local bunch of men use the lot as a meeting place to shoot the breeze.  Not the best area for leaving your vehicle over nite with your personal property in it. IMOP. \

Worst part is that the site was taken by someone else. They were riding a trail bike according to the tire tracks left in the site and on the road. Never did see them, even waited for a while to discuss the site use with them. So I just left. Another very peaceful mile walk back to the lot and no other group member was there nor called me.

Overall I would not recommend this site unless someone dropped you off and picked you up. Also would need some proof of site reservation and backup associates. The airport across the road was not noisy at all. Got to see a glider taken up, fly around and glide back in. Haven't seen that since I was in Germany.

After spending considerable time on splitting and loading the wood, getting some projects together to entertain/teach others and research/post site info, I'll let you figure out what I think.
Very sorry this didn't work out Jeff.  We'll definitely scratch this location off the list!  At least we know now  Sad

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation SEP Gathering #19! David 13 1,030 02-27-2018, 11:09 PM
Last Post: Bob
  SEP gathering ghost 2 244 01-28-2018, 02:02 PM
Last Post: David
Exclamation SEP Gathering #16 David 23 2,622 11-19-2017, 11:17 PM
  SEP Gathering #16 David 27 5,195 02-21-2017, 03:17 PM
  SEP Gathering #15 After-Action-Report David 12 2,364 02-10-2017, 02:39 AM
Last Post: Bob