Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remington UMC 9mm 115 JHP in a short barrel
Remington UMC 9mm: Good enough for self defense?

Terminal Ballistics Testing Remington UMC 9MM 115 Grain JHP

I'm issued the 124+P Gold Dot for off-duty carry.  And I have it in all of the HD guns as well.  However, I've been considering an option for my wife.  As I mentioned in the .22 rifle for HD thread, she is recoil sensitive due to a disability and carpel tunnel.  She simply can't take the warmer loads.  As such it limits her shooting experience when using warmer rounds.  Particularly if she's using her CCW which is currently a Taurus PT709 Slim.  The 124+P GD barks with some authority in that shorter/lighter gun.

Wallyworld always has both the WWB 147 JHP (can't seem to find the 115 JHP offering in WWB) and the Remington UMC 115 JHP.  The Rem comes in the 100 round value pack for just under $30.  This is a standard pressure load that seems to work just fine out of the short (around 3 inch barrel) pocket 9mm's.  We plan on going shooting next Monday so I bought a box today for us to test out in her gun.  Also want to test it out in the Ruger LC9 I just got.  I would load it with the 124+P GD (providing it functions well) but have the back up mag filled with the Rem (again, providing it works well).  

Seems to get 12 inches of penetration and still expand out of a 3 inch barrel, even through 2 layers of cloth.  Average velocity out of the 3 inch barrel was just a tad over 1000 fps.  For Florida, even winter the two layer testing is probably sufficient.  At any rate it should be softer shooting that what she has now which in turn should be better for practice and follow up shots.

Monday will tell the tale.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I would like to see a chrono of a box to see what the standard deviation is. The Remington White Box target ammo has a reputation of not being consistent.

Here is the list of SD rounds I would use in 9mm. In the order of preference.
Hornady Critical Defense 124gr
Federal 124gr HST
Speer Gold Dot 124gr
Winchester PDX Defender 124gr +P (these are a stout load)
Barnes 124gr TAC-XPD

The top 3 are so close together in performance it would be difficult to pick out which one was which in a ballistic gel test. The PDX will sometimes frag and penetrate deeper. The TAC-XPD will not expand as well as the top three. For cold weather switch out to ball ammo or round nose flat point 115gr for penetration through heavy clothing.
Tony
Atlanta
One of the articles did mention that velocity consistency did differ slightly from lot to lot.  I don't think he mentioned a night/day difference but I'd have to check the article again.  My goal is to find a 115 that functions reliably in her gun, has adequate penetration and expansion but more importantly she'll be comfortable shooting.  Particularly fast and accurate follow up shots.  The WWB 115 jhp has had several videos of good results out of shorter barrels on YT but I can't find it local at the big box stores.  I could order it of course but it's nice to have something that would work well that's available right down the street at a good price.  If the Rem UMC functions well and she shoots it well then it's a bargain at 100 rounds for just under $30.

You might want to go up in bullet size to 147gr bullets. The larger bullet size will have a smaller powder charge providing it is the same brand of powder being used in the 115gr. The smaller charge means a smaller bang. The 147gr traveling at 900-925fps has similar power factor numbers as a 115gr traveling 1150-1185fps. Many competition guys use the heavier bullets to get the accurate follow up shots.

The FBI is using Speer 147 grain Gold Dot in their 9mm. Some of the reasons was accuracy on follow up shots and 12 to 18 inches of penetration.
Tony
Atlanta
WWB 147 is an option as far as locally available rounds.  The WWB 147 is actually suppose to be a good round out of a service length barrel.  I'm trying to find shorter barrel test results on it.  Golden Saber 147 is suppose to be a good round in shorter barrels.  

I may buy a box of WWB 147 to test alongside the Rem 115.  See what functions the best and which is best for her.  While not as economical as the Rem value pack, at WWB  is only around $22 for a box of 50 locally.

I saw the title. I didn't read any more - my response: Yes.
I run 124gr to 135gr for 95% of what I shoot. My primary range pistol is a Colt 1911 Govt model with the 9mm competition barrel. I have tried everything from 95gr to 155gr for the 1911 and the best grouping weights have been 124 to 135gr bullets. These are all target ammo in FMJ and coated lead.

SD is a little bit different. The factory ammo I listed above are all 124 because that is the weight I found to be the sweet spot for the 1911 (and Taurus PT92 and Glock 19 & 17L). My 9mm SD hand-load rounds are 123gr Federal Hydrashok that I am pushing about 75fps faster than what Federal published. That is because that was where they grouped the best with the powder I am using. Well within the max load of that powder. They are old technology but they were what led to the the current high expansion HP of today.

Short barreled pistol's can be a bit more challenging to find what works for them. You are on the right track exploring what will work best. Good luck finding a factory SD load that will work.
Tony
Atlanta

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  .38 Special short barrel David 3 34 12-06-2017, 02:53 AM
Last Post: Tsquare