Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
.22 rifle for home defense?
Video 

Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
A 22 Henry rifle was my daughter's home defense gun since she was 10 years old. Finally, got her to change after 7 years and she now keeps the Beretta Storm PCC 9mm as her home defense gun.
I think the Marlin 60 would be a good rifle for my wife.  She is recoil sensitive and due to a disability and carpel tunnel she needs a soft shooting firearm.  She did enjoy the Hi-Point 995TS rifle I use to have.  My son still has one.

While .22 isn't my personal first choice, for some folks it is completely viable. Some folks have a disability or carpel tunnel or neurological issues and can't handle recoil. Better to have a round that they can accurately fire and just as importantly make fast, accurate follow up shots. 

More powerful rounds that offer stouter recoil may very well make someone with an issue very prone to flinching as they anticipate painful recoil. Which may cause them to make a poor shot or miss completely. Whereas a round with hardly any recoil may encourage practice and eliminate flinching or pulling a shot. Far better to get 5-6 .22 rounds squarely on target quickly than one lousy hit (or complete miss) with a larger/more powerful round. 

My daughter's first formal firearms class was Appleseed with a 10/22. She shoots it well and has confidence in it and her abilities using it. Consequently it is her favorite gun and her go to. While not optimal a 22 or ten out of a rifle is better than nothing.
IMO, a 22 is better than no weapon at all. Ammo is plentiful and pretty cheap. But if I could give advice, I'd opt for a 38 Special over it.
[Image: confedsouthcarolina.gif][Image: confedsouthcarolina.gif]In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
While I have much better choices, I'd never feel underarmed with 25rds of CCI Velocitor on tap. For someone who has physical limitations and can't use a bigger or more powerful gun, could get by with a rimfire. The key is good ammo and rapid fire.
Yeah, I'd say that about 12-13 rounds to the chest should fix a problem. Story has it that from a .22 rifle, a round would be powerful enough to penetrate the front of the scull but not the backside and the round would bounce around inside, making quite a mess of the contents. Kinda like the melons in the vid.

Other keys are good aim and proper distance.
Endeavor to Persevere...
Had two calls that come to mind that involved 22 caliber.

One, a gentleman was coming out of his house to head to work at 5 clock in the morning when a person was waiting for him to rob him. The robber shot him in the head. We responded and got there and found the guy standing there smoking a cigarette. We were looking for who had been shot and he said it was him. I took a closer look and he had blood on the left side of his head at the ear. He asked if he could finish his cigarette before he went to the hospital? I figured if he had lived this long what was a few more minutes going to hurt, might be his last one anyway.

Got him to the hospital, they did x-rays of the head, no bullet. Did x-rays of the neck, no bullet. Did x-rays of the chest and there was the bullet. It had traveled from the left side of his head to the right side of his chest. Upon talking to the guy, he was standing on his second step of his porch and the guy was behind him on the porch. The angle he was shot was a downward angle and it traveled through his neck and upper chest without hitting any major arteries or vessels. He was lucking man and his only permanent damage was hearing loss (total) in the left ear.

The second time I can remember dealing with 22 was a young boy (10 y/o) out with his buddy. They were shooting cans and such and had a bullet (from the best can figure) hit a rock and ricochet back and hit him in the chest. It went through both lungs. They were about 20 minutes from the house in the woods. The one kid drug the other kid back to the house and called 911. It was a rural location and it took us almost 30 minutes to get there, by that time the boy had passed. Sitting in on the autopsy, the only issue was the bullet had punctured both lungs, which if he had been local we could of handled the chest decompression in the field and kept him alive until surgery.

With that being said said, I had a gentleman, a very large man 600+ pounds, shot 6 times with a 40 cal. He was conscious when we got there and he was so large, we had to have him walk to the ambulance and lay him on the floor of the ambulance. His arms where to big I didn't have a needle long enough to get an IV on him (they did a cut down in the ED). Ends up the round hit no vital organs and there was no external bleeding, each bullet hole looked like a big zit with fat tissue coming out of it sealing of the wounds. They did surgery on the guy and removed the rounds and he went home a couple of days later.

As Gene pointed out, proper shot placement is the key. As far as bullets traveling around in the head, I have been on three autopsy where I have seen that, two with 9mm and one with a 25 caliber. The 9mm were both JHP rounds, the 25 was a FMJ round. The calls I were on that I remember us finding rounds that went through the skull (front and back) were generally FMJ rounds. Unless they committed suicide by shooting themselves in the mouth, seems to me that most of those exited regardless of the type of bullet.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Home Defense David 8 984 11-09-2017, 11:07 PM
Last Post: David
  Vehicle defense bmyers 8 149 11-05-2017, 07:23 PM
Last Post: Ronin.45
  Your Perfect Home Defense Gun JRSC 132 24,179 09-09-2017, 03:23 AM
Information Real World Self Defense David 12 1,615 09-05-2017, 03:13 AM
Last Post: Bob
Question Go big or go home? David 9 605 08-18-2017, 10:39 AM
Last Post: bmyers
  New Handguns/Home Defense A3M0N 4 337 07-22-2017, 09:47 PM
Last Post: bmyers
  Flashlight As Part Of Your Best Defense David 4 583 03-09-2017, 06:02 PM
  This is a pack rifle Ronin.45 8 1,151 01-13-2017, 01:28 AM
Last Post: Cougar90
  Halloween Defense 2016 Ronin.45 15 1,972 11-02-2016, 11:45 AM
  DIY integrated rifle sling for a plate carrier jayclimber 1 404 10-26-2016, 06:57 PM