Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smallest gun/caliber you'd feel comfortable with?
(12-10-2017, 03:41 PM)David Wrote: @ Mac and JRSC,

Your vocabularies are a little too comprehensive for my domain.  I wish you would articulate a little more coherently.  

I would hate to be up a well know tributary without proper means of propulsion.

Cool

Well I took a class once. It was illuminatingly verbose.

and....I did order the RM380 from PSA. I am interesting to see how big it is compared to other pocket pistols.
I looked at a video comparing the LCP to the RM380.  The RM appeared to be just slightly taller and longer but it was just slightly.  Thickness is, IIRC, .95 for the RM and something like .87 for the LCP so again a minimal difference.  

Generally speaking I see positive reviews on the RM.  You got in at the right time. They went out of stock later in the day and still are this morning (PSA).  Don't know if they'll have them back while the rebate is still good.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
(12-27-2017, 03:40 PM)David Wrote: I looked at a video comparing the LCP to the RM380.  The RM appeared to be just slightly taller and longer but it was just slightly.  Thickness is, IIRC, .95 for the RM and something like .87 for the LCP so again a minimal difference.  

Generally speaking I see positive reviews on the RM.  You got in at the right time. They went out of stock later in the day and still are this morning (PSA).  Don't know if they'll have them back while the rebate is still good.

I missed it the first or second time it went on sale with the rebate. Just couldn't pull the trigger. This time I said what the heck, for that price it's worth a gamble and one never knows when one is going to need another pocket gun.  Not to mention the rebate ends at the end of this year.   I do suspect that with Remington being in dire straights financially you might see their pistols deeply discounted in the future until they are all sold.
I'm keeping an eye on PSA to see if they come back in stock.  If they do in time (looks like Jan 6, 2018 is when the rebate ends) I might just get one as well.  We'll see if they get them back in or not.  I might just call them and ask.

Found a good deal on a Ruger LCP so the plan is to go pick it up tomorrow morning.  Comes with two magazines, pocket holster and some ammo.  Might see if I have time to pop up to the range tomorrow as well to test it out.  Also would like to get some more trigger time with the LC9.

Speaking of the LC9, I've been taking it for all of my walks around the neighborhood and testing out different methods of carry.  I have to give a thumbs up on the Sticky Holster.  Whether I use it for IWB or pocket it just works.  So far, most of my pants and shorts allow my to reach into the pocket and get a full grip prior to drawing.  It came with a hard plastic IWB that worked well on last nights bike ride so that makes a good option.  Tonight I used the neoprene belly band that I bought a while back from Amazon (for around $18).  It was incredibly comfortable.  This one has a pocket for gun itself and next to it another pocket for a magazine or flashlight or knife.  I had a second magazine in it tonight and it was almost like I wasn't wearing either the gun or magazine.  Just very comfortable.  I can see the Ruger taking the place of the Glock if I'm not far from the house but plan to be out for an extended period of time and just want to go for max comfort.

Just got back from picking up the LCP. It is a gen2 no-dash model. Looks to have a metal guide rod and the sights are just a tad taller. Came with a zippered pouch, Desantis pocket holster, extra mag and 80 rounds of ammunition (20 are Federal Hydra-Shok which even though it's 'old' bullet technology got a very good bare and denim review from Shooting-The-Bull on YT). Paid $250 and it's only had 12 rounds fired according to the previous owner. Figured that was a good deal considering the current sale prices plus shipping plus FFL plus the extras.

Really going to try to get to the range today and run some rounds through it. Smile

(12-30-2017, 04:15 PM)David Wrote: Just got back from picking up the LCP. It is a gen2 no-dash model. Looks to have a metal guide rod and the sights are just a tad taller. Came with a zippered pouch, Desantis pocket holster, extra mag and 80 rounds of ammunition (20 are Federal Hydra-Shok which even though it's 'old' bullet technology got a very good bare and denim review from Shooting-The-Bull on YT). Paid $250 and it's only had 12 rounds fired according to the previous owner. Figured that was a good deal considering the current sale prices plus shipping plus FFL plus the extras.

Really going to try to get to the range today and run some rounds through it. Smile

I shot one of the original LCPs, the recoil was pretty snappy. So much so that I couldn't/wouldn't really recommend to someone who isn't an experienced shooter.

None the less, when the LCPII came out I went and compared it with the original. I really couldn't tell the difference in trigger pull and the II is kind of blockier. I kind of liked the original look and feel better overall. 

I am still interested in them however at least to compare with the RM380 I just ordered.  I don't think either would replace my LC9 but it's always good to have options.

I look forward to your review.

Also, take a look at the Techna Clip for your LC9/LCP It's a good way to carry IWB if you don't want to pocket carry. I have them on my LC9, Keltec P11 and P32.
Well about 10 minutes after I posted above a serious issue developed with the LCP [Image: cry.gif]

The wife saw it and claimed it as her CCW gun [Image: drinkie.gif]

Oh well, still have the LC9 and LC9s [Image: cheers.gif]

Quote:Also, take a look at the Techna Clip for your LC9/LCP It's a good way to carry IWB if you don't want to pocket carry. I have them on my LC9, Keltec P11 and P32.

I was looking at those yesterday as a matter of fact.

Well looks like the wife is going to use the LCP for most of her CCW needs, she figures that she'd carry it 90% of the time.  Gave her the LC9s as an alternate in case she wanted something bigger and also as a dedicated night stand gun.  That frees up her PT709 which I put up for a trade.  Talking with a gentleman locally on AL that has a new LCP custom and looks like we'll get together for a trade later in the week.

The LCP Custom looks to have:
  • Upgraded aluminum, skeleton-style red trigger
  • Raised sights
  • Metal guide rod
If that trade goes through then I'll have my 'pocket gun' box checked off.  

Next project will be to buy more LC9 and LCP magazines.  Between the LC9 and LC9s I've got 5 mags and I have 2 for the LCP.  I'd like to get a total of at least 8 for the LC9's and 8 for the LCP's.  I have time to look for good deals here and there and that's part of the fun.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Caliber Warz David 18 2,556 08-27-2017, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Tsquare