Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smallest gun/caliber you'd feel comfortable with?
PPS - now there is my carry gun!

Don't want an M2 - I like the mag release ion the original. HK fan, you know...
(12-01-2017, 10:30 PM)mac66 Wrote:
(12-01-2017, 06:44 PM)David Wrote: Came close to buying a Ruger LCP the other day that was advertised on AL for $160.  Figured that was a pretty good price but must of sold before I contacted the owner as he never returned the email.  

Looked at a couple of Walther PPS M2's as well but neither panned out.  Their dirt cheap right now as well.

No hurry...

PSA has LCPs for $169 off and on.  

They've got that deal going on this weekend.  I've thought about it but keep putting it off.  

(12-02-2017, 02:03 PM)Bob Wrote: PPS - now there is my carry gun!

Don't want an M2 - I like the mag release ion the original.  HK fan, you know...

Either one is going to be a great shooter.  I'll be honest, imo the PPQ M2 is a Glock 19 killer.  I know the Glock fanboys will never agree but it's simply a better gun all around, at least for me.  The finger grooves are very subtle so they give you a positive grip without interfering with your grip and finger positioning.  I can't say that about the finger grooves on Glock and I'm one of those people that can't stand them on a Glock.  Just don't fit my hand.  I like the ergonomics of the grip angle a LOT better than Glock.  The take-down tabs on either side are larger for better/easier manipulation on the Walther.  And as far as I'm concerned, the slightly higher bore axis of the Walther is a complete non-issue.  And there is simply no comparison between the out-of-the-box triggers.  You'd have to spend a bit of $ to get a Glock close to the PPQ.

I'd take a Walther PPQ over a Glock any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  If Walther came out with a PPQ sub-compact I'd likely ditch the G26 for it ASAP.  The only thing preventing my switching over to the PPS for carry is that I have so many Glock magazines and better capacity.  If they could come out with a PPQ sub-compact that held either 10 or 12 rounds that would be perfect.

Bit of a thread drift and rant but I'm feeling froggy this morning  Smile
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I'm looking into a 38 Special...
In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
I’ve got a .32 revolver in my safe that belongs to my niece, keeping it for her while she’s out of the country.  Don’t really know much about them too be honest.

My daughter has my Grandfather's Colt Police Positive 32LC. It is a soft shooting pistol. Her SD round is a 100gr wad cutter that chrono's at 900 fps - that is at the top end of where a 32LC can be safely loaded. Most factory ammo is 750 to the upper 800fps. For ammo, Buffalo Bore and Speer make a lead WC that will jump out to 900 fps - you don't want to feed any 32 a steady diet of these. With that caliber a soft lead wad cutter will have more expansion than any JHP. The 32LC cannot produce enough velocity to open up a JHP.
The problem with the .32 LC (the revolver cartridge not the .32 ACP) was that so many cheap revolvers were chambered in it. I can't count how many cheap top break, Iver Johnson and other Saturday night specials I ran across/confiscated on the street back in the day. Most were POS guns. One of the guys on my shift got shot in the face with one (think when Serpico gets shot in the movie). The bullet hit him in the cheek bone at point blank range and then traveled back and lodged under the skin behind his ear. Just about anyting else would have killed him. The gun he was shot with was a cheap breaktop 5 shot that sprung open after the first shot, otherwise the guy would have capped him 4 more time.
Top break guns are neat looking but they cannot handle much power. I had a top break forgotten name Italian in 22WSM that broke the top strap after 400 or so rounds. It was new in the box in 1980 but it was a early 60's production.

The Police Positive is a fairly solid design. The biggest problem with older Colts is that all of the parts were hand fitted. If something broke or it jumped time a Colt gunsmith that is familiar with that particular model is usually required and they are getting rare.
(12-03-2017, 10:00 PM)Tsquare Wrote: Top break guns are neat looking but they cannot handle much power. I had a top break forgotten name Italian in 22WSM that broke the top strap after 400 or so rounds. It was new in the box in 1980 but it was a early 60's production.

The Police Positive is a fairly solid design. The biggest problem with older Colts is that all of the parts were hand fitted. If something broke or it jumped time a Colt gunsmith that is familiar with that particular model is usually required and they are getting rare.

Yeah, big difference between the Colt and the cheap revolvers that followed it.  If I remember correctly Teddy Roosevelt picked the Colt PP in .32 as the official service pistol of the NYPD when he was  the police commissioner.

Edited to correct. TR picked the Colt New Police in .32, it was subsequently replaced by the Police Positive which was an updated design.
I had plans to purchase a S&W 642 but decided to purchase a Ruger LC9 instead to stay with the 9mm cartridge.  Picked it up this morning and have ordered additional magazines and TFO Truglo night sights for it.  With the Sticky holster if fits in my pocket just fine and the draw is smooth and without any hang ups.

Checked with Ruger, the gun was made in May of 2012.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Caliber Warz David 23 3,620 02-12-2018, 01:20 AM
Last Post: mac66