Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smallest gun/caliber you'd feel comfortable with?
Question 
What is the smallest gun, and smallest caliber you'd feel comfortable carry for self defense.  And how would you carry it.

After learning that my wife's PT709 Slim 9mm fit comfortably in my front pocket I started thinking about a pocket carry gun for around the house/neighborhood or short trips if I didn't feel like carrying my normal EDC G26.  Not that the G26 is big by any means, but more of just having additional options.  

How about you folks?
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
The smallest I carry is G43. I have pocket carried it in a jacket, but RHonda carries it the most in a belly band holster.
9mm is the smallest I feel comfortable carrying, though I've carried a 380 and even a .32 auto at various times in the past on occasion.

I have a Ruger LC9 which I carry IWB with a belt clip most of the time. If I'm somewhere where I can't pull my shirt over it I will slip it into my pants pocket.
I've carried a Beretta 21a in a pocket and didn't feel unarmed. When I found the Kahr P380 and could have a similarly small, light pistol in 380, I went that route for a few years. I carry a 43 now. Either IWB or pocket. I prefer to keep my caliber selection to a minimum so 9mm is nice.
As I've said on here before, I'm not worried about big bore cartridges, high capacity, extra mags, etc. I make sure any gun I carry is 100% reliable and that I know how to use it at a high level.
(11-28-2017, 02:34 PM)mac66 Wrote: 9mm is the smallest I feel comfortable carrying, though I've carried a 380 and even a .32 auto at various times in the past on occasion.

I have a Ruger LC9 which I carry IWB with a belt clip most of the time. If I'm somewhere where I can't pull my shirt over it I will slip it into my pants pocket.

How do you like the LC9?  I've shot the LCP before, how much bigger is the LC9 in comparison?  I looks like it would be a dandy pocket carry pistol.  What's the capacity and how much are magazines running for it?

I have carried a 22Mag derringer as a pocket gun back in the early 90's. I wasn't that comfortable carrying it. It was an up close and personal type gun. I have also carried a Walther PP in 7.65 (32 Auto) for about 15 years and didn't think twice about it. I have a thick leather wallet style holster that is designed for carry in your rear pocket.
Tony
Atlanta
I think I'd be ok with .380
(11-28-2017, 05:24 PM)David Wrote:
(11-28-2017, 02:34 PM)mac66 Wrote: 9mm is the smallest I feel comfortable carrying, though I've carried a 380 and even a .32 auto at various times in the past on occasion.

How do you like the LC9?  I've shot the LCP before, how much bigger is the LC9 in comparison?  I looks like it would be a dandy pocket carry pistol.  What's the capacity and how much are magazines running for it?

The LC9 is pocket sized but bigger than the LCP. It is very smooth and rounded. Standard mag is 7 rounds though they have a 9 round extended mag. I have both but carry with the 7 rounder.  They make three versions of that pistol. 

The first is the double action trigger version. It has a thumb safety, loaded chamber indicator, key lock and  mag disconnect safety. 

The second is the S or striker fired version. Basically like the first but with a better striker fired trigger.

The third is the S Pro. Striker fired but without the safety, lock etc.

I have the first since that's all that was available when they first came out. I do not use the thumb safety (unneeded on a double action trigger) and I don't use the lock. 

I would prefer the S Pro model but not enough to lose money on my current one just to buy a Pro version. 

Like most Rugers, the damn magazines are expensive. $25-30 ea.

With the size of pocket 9s these days I don't really see the point of carrying a 380 or smaller when you can carry a 9.
Came close to buying a Ruger LCP the other day that was advertised on AL for $160.  Figured that was a pretty good price but must of sold before I contacted the owner as he never returned the email.  

Looked at a couple of Walther PPS M2's as well but neither panned out.  Their dirt cheap right now as well.

No hurry...

(12-01-2017, 06:44 PM)David Wrote: Came close to buying a Ruger LCP the other day that was advertised on AL for $160.  Figured that was a pretty good price but must of sold before I contacted the owner as he never returned the email.  

Looked at a couple of Walther PPS M2's as well but neither panned out.  Their dirt cheap right now as well.

No hurry...

PSA has LCPs for $169 off and on.  My daughter and I  went and looked at them a couple weeks ago as she wants something to carry with her carry permit.  She thought it was too big (she's a twenty something who wears tight clothes).  Ultimately I decided to let her use my Keltec P32 until she decides what she wants. Even then she said "is there anything smaller?"  Not much, back in the day .25 autos were popular vest pocket guns. The little baby Brownings or the Bauer copy of the Browning might be smaller. 

Remington makes a pretty small 380 called the RM380. Not a big fan of Remington pistols but Remington is in financial trouble and they are giving big rebates.  A  shop I know was selling them for  $229 with a $100 rebate so $119 after the rebate. That pistol used to be known as the Rohrbaugh R380 and Remington bought the rights to it. It was a quality made pistol and apparently still gets good reviews.    I went and looked at them, balked, then went back a couple hours later and they were sold out.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Caliber Warz David 18 1,746 08-27-2017, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Tsquare