Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Appendix Carry
Sad 
Well, my vote is with the dog.  As you will notice, it got up walked away and sat down!

Any carry is potentially dangerous, whether or not there is a manual safety. 

I am not a policeman and do carry a firearm.  However, I will express an observation that might cause a person to reconsider a decision to do appendix carry.  When the adrenaline starts pumping, there is a tendency to grab a firearm and mash a trigger.  Sure, I had a specific class in drawing and firing from concealed under a jacket.  No one was under stress.  The best guy was a martial artist who could accomplish the result in .3 second.  This is not a misprint.  Now add to it you might have been running, you think the other guy has a weapon.  So, if the option is to have a firearm holstered and pointing at you (and my mentor didn't bother with a holster in his appendix carry) or have a different retention system with the firearm not point at you . . .

One time, I commissioned a beautiful holster.  It came and I was pleased except for one thing.  The holster was made by guy who routinely made holsters for single action guns.  My handgun was not a single action and the holster allowed access to the trigger.  I mentioned to the maker he shouldn't have that feature on future holsters.  Although I wanted to keep the holster, he insisted that it be returned.  The same problem exists when a person does a waist band carry without a holster and my mentor did appendix carry without.
I spoke with the Managing Editor of 'The Truth About Guns' via email yesterday and today.  He's knows the individual that shot himself and the woman personally.  The man is in pain but recovering.  It was a Glock 43 and a G-Code holster.  Right now the only thing they can figure is that his under-shirt got caught up in the holster when he inserted the gun and got into the trigger guard.  When he bent over it created tension on the trigger and 'bang'.  No indication that the G43 had been modified that he was aware of or the holster being damaged prior to the incident.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Thanks for the update
I carry my LC9 IWB without a holster but with a belt clip. I can carry it appendix style (particularly now that I am thinner) but only if I am walking around, not for sitting. It digs into my groin when sitting. That isn't the case with a revolver however. I can carry a small (hammerless) revolver appendix without it digging in because of it's angle.
(06-06-2018, 12:45 PM)mac66 Wrote: I carry my LC9 IWB without a holster but with a belt clip. I can carry it appendix style (particularly now that I am thinner) but only if I am walking around, not for sitting. It digs into my groin when sitting.  That isn't the case with a revolver however. I can carry a small (hammerless) revolver appendix without it digging in because of it's angle.

Has me wondering if the LC9 perhaps wouldn't be a better choice than the G43 since it is hammer fired, longer trigger pull and external thumb safety.  At least for IWB/pocket carry.

Curious the durability of the LC9 vs. the G43 in the long term?

(06-06-2018, 04:04 PM)David Wrote:
(06-06-2018, 12:45 PM)mac66 Wrote: I carry my LC9 IWB without a holster but with a belt clip. I can carry it appendix style (particularly now that I am thinner) but only if I am walking around, not for sitting. It digs into my groin when sitting.  That isn't the case with a revolver however. I can carry a small (hammerless) revolver appendix without it digging in because of it's angle.

Has me wondering if the LC9 perhaps wouldn't be a better choice than the G43 since it is hammer fired, longer trigger pull and external thumb safety.  At least for IWB/pocket carry.

Don't think you are going to wear out a gun meant to be carried a lot and shot a little. I've had my LC9 for 4-5 years now and probably don't have 150 rounds through it. I shoot a mag or two through it every year just to make sure it still works and to rotate the ammo.
I have AIWB carried at times in the past. I believe I'm done with that however. Partly because of the potential problems demonstrated in the video but also if you have to go hands on with someone. I don't want that piece of metal, plastic and kydex in my groin area. I'd rather have it on my side where I feel I would have easier access to it during a physical altercation, based on the way I fight.

(06-06-2018, 06:46 PM)mac66 Wrote:
(06-06-2018, 04:04 PM)David Wrote:

Don't think you are going to wear out a gun meant to be carried a lot and shot a little.  I've had my LC9 for 4-5 years now and probably don't have 150 rounds through it.  I shoot a mag or two through it every year just to make sure it still works and to rotate the ammo.

Keep in mind that some people shoot way more than others. I have regular competitors that exclusively shoot their carry guns. 75+ rounds a week adds up pretty damn fast.
Be interesting to see what kind of round counts folks have gotten up to on their LC9's.  Maybe I'll toss up a thread on GT about it and see what the responses are.

I go a little beyond the 75 rounds per week. I am back to carrying my G37 45GAP (I am still looking for a G38 or G39). I am shooting 90 rounds of coated lead weekly and 10 rounds of JHP once a month with it. I also shoot 103 rounds of coated lead in my 1911 9mm each week. These are minimum numbers. As I will sometimes shoot up to 500 round in a week.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Single Stack Carry Thread (w/pics) David 23 426 10-17-2018, 12:18 PM
Last Post: David
  .380 is just too dangerous for carry Bob 2 80 09-26-2018, 01:50 AM
Last Post: Bob
  Single Stack Carry poll David 10 503 06-21-2018, 12:59 PM
Last Post: ghost
  Woods carry: .40 S&W or .357sig? David 26 1,241 06-12-2018, 01:33 AM
  Israeli Carry David 6 557 05-05-2018, 12:28 PM
Information Five Things To Have for Concealed Carry David 10 1,184 01-05-2018, 04:44 PM
Last Post: bmyers
  Shooting your carry gun Ronin.45 20 3,034 11-07-2017, 11:56 AM
Last Post: bmyers
  Shooting your carry gun in competition bmyers 3 1,072 09-10-2017, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Bob
  Concealed Carry Insurance JRSC 7 1,935 09-01-2017, 06:06 PM
Last Post: JRSC
Question Belly band for IWB carry? David 5 1,503 07-10-2017, 05:32 PM
Last Post: A3M0N