Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Appendix Carry
What's your view(s) on appendix carry?

Two opposing views...

I've been carrying this way more so in the last year than I ever had previously.  One of the reasons I switched from the Glock 19 to the Glock 26 so that it would be more comfortable in the appendix carry position.  I have a very comfortable leather IWB holster but I went ahead and purchased a kydex IWB holster specifically made for appendix carry (0 degree cant).  The reason was for a safer re-holster.  The kydex doesn't collapse upon itself in the waistband and I feel like I was safety able to re-holster multiple times during our off-duty designed course of fire at work.  Even during the drills I was never in a hurry to re-holster.

I also have the Sticky Holster (so does the wife) which is a very soft, pliable neoprene type material holster.  They recommend however that when using the Sticky Holster for either IWB or pocket carry that you actually take the holster out of the waistband or pocket, re-holster and then reinsert for safety.  I can see the wisdom in this.

I also see where this is a lot quicker when in a vehicle as far as drawing to engage a threat such a car-jacking attempt.

Thoughts...
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I'm too fat for appendix carry, but know several people who do it. If it's comfortable for someone, they should consider it as an option. The whole safety outcry when it first came in vogue was stupid and overblown. As you said, there's never a reason to race back into the holster. Safety is pretty easy to ensure.
My dunlap disease gets in the way of appendix carry.
+1 on the dunlap.

I have never been a fan of appendix carry even before dulap affected me. I have always preferred the 4 O'Clock position or the 6 depending on the gun.
A hammerless or bobbed hammer snub nose revolver is a very comfortable carrying it that way because of the small grip and angle. One's belt naturally falls between the cylinder and grip. I've never found a semi auto that was comfortable that way.

Back in the day a S&W 36 or Charter Arms Off duty, Colt Detective or similar were often carried that way with just a wad of rubber bands wrapped around the grip. That kept it from sliding down inside your pants. I still have a "Hip Grip" on a my Off Duty.
What's your take on this video?  Didn't see where the model of gun was mentioned.  Kinda makes me want to stick with the Ruger LC9 with thumb safety (and hammer fired of course) if I carry appendix.  Thoughts...

VIDEO: Holstered Pistol Discharges…Negligent or Accident?

There are only a few things that could have caused this. Crappy holster, faulty trigger work, foreign object in the holster.
There is a photo of a G-Code holster and G43 after the video.  It's not fully clear if that was the holster and gun.  But you can see the holster when he throws it on the ground and it looks like the G-Code in the picture (though it's not crystal clear).  Looked to be a kydex style though so you'd think that wouldn't be the issue...maybe.  If it was something in the trigger guard it didn't immediately depress the trigger until he bent over.  Odd the way it happened.  I'd like to be able to find additional information on what happened.

EDITED TO ADD:  I see the article has been updated.  It was a G-Code and Glock 43.

I'm not a fan of appendix carry.

You can't make a definitive call from the video. The highest probability is that something got caught in the trigger. Yet, it could be a bad trigger job.

Otherwise guns just don't go off on their own and most won't even go off when dropped.

Would a safety prevented this? Possibly if it was caused by something getting into the trigger. Yet, if it was a bad trigger job, there is a possibility that it would of still happened depending on how faulty the trigger job was.
I see it all the time at matches. Guys don't pay attention to their T-shirts and force the gun in even when it's suddenly extra snug. I could easily see this being the case here.
As for appendix being dangerous, I've seen way more people point their gun at their hip, pelvis, femoral while using a strongside holster.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Single Stack Carry poll David 10 430 06-21-2018, 12:59 PM
Last Post: ghost
  Woods carry: .40 S&W or .357sig? David 26 1,021 06-12-2018, 01:33 AM
Last Post: David
  Single Stack Carry Thread (w/pics) David 5 252 06-08-2018, 07:59 PM
Last Post: fastbolt
  Israeli Carry David 6 436 05-05-2018, 12:28 PM
Last Post: David
Information Five Things To Have for Concealed Carry David 10 1,032 01-05-2018, 04:44 PM
Last Post: bmyers
  Shooting your carry gun Ronin.45 20 2,806 11-07-2017, 11:56 AM
Last Post: bmyers
  Shooting your carry gun in competition bmyers 3 987 09-10-2017, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Bob
  Concealed Carry Insurance JRSC 7 1,804 09-01-2017, 06:06 PM
Last Post: JRSC
Question Belly band for IWB carry? David 5 1,419 07-10-2017, 05:32 PM
Last Post: A3M0N
  Constitutional Carry JRSC 10 3,072 05-18-2017, 10:32 PM
Last Post: mac66